Jamaica to play England Knights?

24 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

“And chief executive Ralph Rimmer admitted a June game, which was vital in preparation for the 2017 World Cup but is not happening this year, is not yet ‘locked in.”

?

Typical RFL, always looking back.

The Knights will be a good workout for Jamaica. 

They'd also be a good fit for Wales, given the Welsh don't appear to have much lined up because of the WC Qualifiers. I know costs will decide against it, but how good would a Welsh two test tour to Jamaica be!

56 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I think it would be good to have Jamaica playing a few friendlies in Europe again. 

When the West Indies play England or Ireland at Cricket, it's a test series, or an international. RU has autumn internationals. We shouldn't call these games "friendlies."

It seems the RFL want to kick things off here and oddly have been slowed down by others. Realistically we could have England and Wales (minus any GB players), France and Jamaica all playing tests this autumn. 

I don't see why with a bit of planning this couldn't be a rather successful mix. Doesn't have to he huge in scale: grounds like Brutus, Headingley, St Helens and Cardiff Arms Park size wise. Perhaps a game in London maybe or even a Bristol? 

Throw in that Scotland and Ireland will have fallow weeks in their qualification campaigns and there's the basis of a good few test matches. 

In the mid term I would like to see the option of tours to Jamaica and North America being explored more.

Lets get them over here, I'd love to see them play the Knights, Wales, Ireland and France. There's a good chance it would profit. 

14 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It seems the RFL want to kick things off here and oddly have been slowed down by others. Realistically we could have England and Wales (minus any GB players), France and Jamaica all playing tests this autumn. 

I don't see why with a bit of planning this couldn't be a rather successful mix. Doesn't have to he huge in scale: grounds like Brutus, Headingley, St Helens and Cardiff Arms Park size wise. Perhaps a game in London maybe or even a Bristol? 

Throw in that Scotland and Ireland will have fallow weeks in their qualification campaigns and there's the basis of a good few test matches. 

In the mid term I would like to see the option of tours to Jamaica and North America being explored more.

England, Wales, France and Jamaica playing 2 to 3 double headers would be a good series in London, Leeds and St Helens. I would like to see this!

England get some wins and a buzz ahead of 2021 and the others get a test against a strong English team and some competitive games against each other. France if they have all their players and are on song can compete ok with England.

Fans would still turn out for these Games, and it allows England to build depth. Just don't call them Knights. Full England team please. The Union lot don't call the England tour to Argentina during Lions tours England A. We should not either.

7 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

England, Wales, France and Jamaica playing 2 to 3 double headers would be a good series in London, Leeds and St Helens. I would like to see this!

England get some wins and a buzz ahead of 2021 and the others get a test against a strong English team and some competitive games against each other. France if they have all their players and are on song can compete ok with England.

Fans would still turn out for these Games, and it allows England to build depth. Just don't call them Knights. Full England team please. The Union lot don't call the England tour to Argentina during Lions tours England A. We should not either.

To be honest I don't think double headers are necessary unless its to save money. 

England vs Jamaica in either a smaller London Stadium or Headingley could near enough sell out. 

England vs Wales in either Cardiff (Arms Park) or even a Bristol or Gloucester would go down well imo. 

England vs France in France always seems to attract good crowds. 

Last thing we would want from these sort of games is for them to end up being played at belle vue on a Thursday night like the last time wales played Jamaica. For the games not involving England I'd ideally want Wales and France to be playing at home. 

And I definitely agree DO NOT CALL IT THE KNIGHTS!

59 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

To be honest I don't think double headers are necessary unless its to save money. 

England vs Jamaica in either a smaller London Stadium or Headingley could near enough sell out. 

England vs Wales in either Cardiff (Arms Park) or even a Bristol or Gloucester would go down well imo. 

England vs France in France always seems to attract good crowds. 

Last thing we would want from these sort of games is for them to end up being played at belle vue on a Thursday night like the last time wales played Jamaica. For the games not involving England I'd ideally want Wales and France to be playing at home. 

And I definitely agree DO NOT CALL IT THE KNIGHTS!

I think double headers primarily for finance reasons do make sense and I agree 20k size stadia make sense as these can be near sell outs. Loftus Road could work for London ? 

I would be seeing these as Saturday or Sunday afternoon family days out, and a party atmosphere with the Jamaican team. Definitely no Thursday night at Leigh! 

Agree England in France always attracts a good crowd so would be a good game to take to Avignon. 

Wales v England in Cardiff should do OK if promoted well. 

England v Jamaica at QPR / London to round off the series. 

Lastly defo no Knights! They should stay as a tour to PNG every 3-4 years. Not a team who plays at home. 

Some great ideas here. Be great to see a 4 Nations competion with Jamaica, France, Wales and England (NOT the Knights) played on Saturday/Sunday afternoons over 3 weeks, with maybe a top 2 final on week 4. I'd happily go and watch such a tournament.

Sadly, I suspect the RFL will more likely plump for the safest and cheapest option of a one-off Jamaica v Knights game on a Wednesday night in Leigh with zero publicity and call it the "2021 Warm-Up Friendly Challenge", maybe streamed on OurLeague. Anything more than that will require some effort and also risk detracting from the "flagship" GB tour.

Jeez... some people! Surely the best way to promote Jamaican Rugby League in Jamaica is to have the national team actually play in Jamaica. Anything to the contrary on here us probably because a few anoraks want to tick Jamaica off their bucket list. 

Jamaica playing the English knights here would certainly make the British-Jamaica population more aware of our game as a whole than they now, which can only be a good thing.

It would also make the British-West Indian population more aware of our game than a majority are now, again that can only be a good thing.

49 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Jeez... some people! Surely the best way to promote Jamaican Rugby League in Jamaica is to have the national team actually play in Jamaica. Anything to the contrary on here us probably because a few anoraks want to tick Jamaica off their bucket list. 

Whilst I agree playing in Jamaica should be an objective, I believe Jamaica are wanting to use this as prep for 2021 in England.

England Knights v Jamaica in Jamaica would cost a small fortune and do little to raise the profile of the RLWC2021 back in England.

Whilst we would love to see it, as a sport, especially at the international level, we aren't flush with cash, so need to be strategic with any matches.

As mentioned by many posters, we would be wise to drop the Knights title and just call it England v Jamaica and play it on a weekend and at a reasonable sized ground.

On whether that ground is in London or the north, it depends if the RFL plans to market the match. In London, the market is less likely to be concerned by the lack of GB players in the England side, but of course the challenge is you actually need to market the match.

If they intend of repeating what they do with many matches (ie. Expect people to turn up), then let's pick a small, safe venue in the heartlands.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

7 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Jamaica are playing their first ever full international game on the island itself in June against USA.

It’s likely to be fully domestic squads.

It's their first full international against the Hawks (they've hosted the US Pioneers before).  They hosted the Canada Wolverines a couple of years back in the America's Championship.  That was a full sanctioned international.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Archived