Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Aa_rugby

Union to league position advice

Recommended Posts

Hi

I've grown up playing union....had a few years out and now there is a league club close to where I live ...just want some advice on where people think I may fit best for my size 180 cm tall was 18 stone when playing union and always had good mobility with that ...trimmed down to 17 st 4 lbs now  ..always played prop/ hooker in union....where would should I be looking for my league position with that sort of build cheers 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Damien said:

Did you not like the advice on the previous thread you had set up?

It does seem strange he should start 2 threads with exactly the same post.  Will be interesting to see how this pans out.  Just hope he is not yet another union wum....


Rugby League - a sport where shape and size does not limit your potential

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David Wild said:

It does seem strange he should start 2 threads with exactly the same post.  Will be interesting to see how this pans out.  Just hope he is not yet another union wum....

Apologies i thought my original thread had not published so I redid it and then realised later 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Size is important, but it's more about your motor.

Unless you are super fit and fast-ish -  in which case you'll be a danger at second row (no set pieces to worry about) - you should be looking at prop, where it's most likely you'll be able to enjoy a spell on the sidelines.


People called Romans they go the house

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Aa_rugby said:

Apologies i thought my original thread had not published so I redid it and then realised later 

I can see your going to be a coaches nightmare.  Always need telling twice 🙂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played Union at school, but wasn't big enough to be a prop, wasn't tall enough to be a second or back row, wasn't fast enough to be a winger and too shortsighted to play full back.

However I did and still do have the body of a Greek god so played hooker in Rugby League.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's likely prop would be the best place to start. Less complexity than other positions and you'll get a rest at some point. However, mentality and skillset matter just as much as body size. Don't get wedded to a position too early. 

Edited by Saint 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Aa_rugby said:

Hi

I've grown up playing union....had a few years out and now there is a league club close to where I live ...just want some advice on where people think I may fit best for my size 180 cm tall was 18 stone when playing union and always had good mobility with that ...trimmed down to 17 st 4 lbs now  ..always played prop/ hooker in union....where would should I be looking for my league position with that sort of build cheers 

Too short too heavy. If you have good hands and good feet and good pace over 10 yards you could redeem yourself.  But nothing matters if you enjoy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Aa_rugby said:

Hi

I've grown up playing union....had a few years out and now there is a league club close to where I live ...just want some advice on where people think I may fit best for my size 180 cm tall was 18 stone when playing union and always had good mobility with that ...trimmed down to 17 st 4 lbs now  ..always played prop/ hooker in union....where would should I be looking for my league position with that sort of build cheers 

Are you luther burrell???

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Aa_rugby said:

Hi

I've grown up playing union....had a few years out and now there is a league club close to where I live ...just want some advice on where people think I may fit best for my size 180 cm tall was 18 stone when playing union and always had good mobility with that ...trimmed down to 17 st 4 lbs now  ..always played prop/ hooker in union....where would should I be looking for my league position with that sort of build cheers 

Can you spin pass well to both sides? Try and lose some lose more weight and go for loose-forward, at a guess. Front-rower is obviously the one that stands out, but if you played hooker there's a chance you've got a bit of football in you.

Edited by southwalesrabbitoh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blimey, times change. I am 5 foot 10 (1.80 meters to you) and weighed  14 stone 7 lbs wringing wet and played hooker all my life. 

18 stone and 5ft 10 were those barrel like props that were a real hand full to stop. When I played RU , played half back because I could run , pass kick etc. not hooker that was a totally different ball game, they had virtually no RL skills that I noticed.

RU prop of your size would really struggle at hooker, I think prop provided  you have "plenty of devil in you"as my old man would say might be Ok.

Be prepared for a very different and much quicker game.. Oh and vastly superior skill level. And of course the golden rule, never, I mean never,miss a tackle or show fear.

Welcome to the greatest game, you'll love it.

 

Edited by Colly
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/09/2019 at 18:46, southwalesrabbitoh said:

Can you spin pass well to both sides? Try and lose some lose more weight and go for loose-forward, at a guess. Front-rower is obviously the one that stands out, but if you played hooker there's a chance you've got a bit of football in you.

Cheers for the replies . .Ive been studying up on the game ...got my weight down to 16st12lbs as of this morning ....most people are saying prop would be ideal position apart from ya self suggesting loose forward....slot of the stats I see for props they all seem 6ft plus.....at 5ft10 won't I just be too small for the position. Looking forward to starting though signed up now 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Aa_rugby said:

Cheers for the replies . .Ive been studying up on the game ...got my weight down to 16st12lbs as of this morning ....most people are saying prop would be ideal position apart from ya self suggesting loose forward....slot of the stats I see for props they all seem 6ft plus.....at 5ft10 won't I just be too small for the position. Looking forward to starting though signed up now 

I think you’re getting far too hung up on size etc. I know this because when I first got into RL, I didn’t think I was big enough to be centre (I was a wing initially). 

By far the most important thing is the intent you put in. There were much bigger players than me but if you put your shoulder in and are aggressive in defence and run with enough power and have footwork/ball handling skills then these are just as important if not more so. I ended up playing some games in second row because I had a good engine and would just tackle too

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prop mate.  A union prop moving up to RL should start at prop.  You can always move elsewhere, but realistically, you will start off in the middle unit.

  • Like 1

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was boxing my coach told me that at times of confusion, panic or indecision I should remember the old adage ''when in doubt, left arm out''.

Later I adapted this nugget of wisdom to rugby league - ''when in doubt, run like f.........k !''

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prop. I used to coach a team with a lot of Union converts and it's the easiest way to transition if you are a forward already. You don't need to be 6ft plus either if you have some size about you, particularly at amateur level.

If you have a decent coach he'll coach you to stay in the middle, run hard, finish on your front and tackle in a way that is more suitable to League. Depending on the level you can be an effective middle forward by staying in the middle, running hard and tackling hard. The other subtleties can come later.


Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's threads like this that make me wish that players wore numbers 1 to 17 on match day rather than squad numbers. 

When I first fell in love with League and consumed as much as possible to learn the game I didn't know who all the players were but I was able to understand the roles and demands of each position because of the number on the back of the shirt. That is lost to new viewers.

Because we know so much and pretty much all the players we take for granted that people new to the game would benefit from understanding the positions and how they fit together in team play.

Edit: reading this back and the context of the thread it sounds like I was a Union fan who fell in love with League.  This is not true, I just meant when I was a kid but I think the point is valid for new fans wherever they come from.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Dunbar said:

It's threads like this that make me wish that players wore numbers 1 to 17 on match day rather than squad numbers. 

When I first fell in love with League and consumed as much as possible to learn the game I didn't know who all the players were but I was able to understand the roles and demands of each position because of the number on the back of the shirt. That is lost to new viewers.

Because we know so much and pretty much all the players we take for granted that people knew to the game would benefit from understanding the positions and how they fit together in team play.

Edit: reading this back and the context of the thread it sounds like I was a Union fan who fell in love with League.  This is not true, I just meant when I was a kid but I think the point is valid for new fans wherever they come from.

Give over Dunbar, we know what you’re like. You and YK are like 2 peas in a pod 😁

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Give over Dunbar, we know what you’re like. You and YK are like 2 peas in a pod 😁

We are soul mates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Dunbar said:

It's threads like this that make me wish that players wore numbers 1 to 17 on match day rather than squad numbers. 

When I first fell in love with League and consumed as much as possible to learn the game I didn't know who all the players were but I was able to understand the roles and demands of each position because of the number on the back of the shirt. That is lost to new viewers.

Because we know so much and pretty much all the players we take for granted that people knew to the game would benefit from understanding the positions and how they fit together in team play.

Got to agree with that, I learned about rugby as a lad by sitting on the wall at Derwent Park and my dad telling me what numbers the positions were and where they played and what they did.


th_jasmax001.jpg
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G.Orwell.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website & St Albans Centurions Photo Site

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...