Fri 4 Oct: SL - Preliminary Final: Wigan Warriors v Salford Red Devils KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Salford Red Devils

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/10/19 at 18:45

An energetic performance by Salford, mostly making easy yards.  Wigan the opposite.  Salford will have a good half back to worry Saints, but assuming saints avoid nerves and play their usual structure they should win.  It's hard to believe they will lose their focus like Wigan his in the last 2 weeks. 

Nerves might be the key as clearly from the get go of the playoffs all the promotion had been for Salford. Saints will be the bad men in black hats from everyone.  So from a Wigan fan it wil be double doses of misery if Saints win.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even as a Wigan fan I'm delighted for Salford and their fans. It's great to see so much emotion and you can just see how much it means to the fans and the players. It should provide a nice financial boost for them and it's great for the game to see a new team in the Grand Final. Always had a soft spot for Salford too.

Just now, Rupert Prince said:

An energetic performance by Salford, mostly making easy yards.  Wigan the opposite.  Salford will have a good half back to worry Saints, but assuming saints avoid nerves and play their usual structure they should win.  It's hard to believe they will lose their focus like Wigan his in the last 2 weeks. 

Nerves might be the key as clearly from the get go of the playoffs all the promotion had been for Salford. Saints will be the bad men in black hats from everyone.  So from a Wigan fan it wil be double doses of misery if Saints win.

Hard to argue with that. Let's hope we're both horribly wrong.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Unbelievable. Must be great to be a Salford fan, that atmosphere looked amazing and seeing old blokes and young kids emotional in the crowd got me a bit too. Well done Salford you deserve it.

kudos to Jackson Hastings as well, turned it around and now seems so humble. Emotional scenes.

lets not forget Scotchy doesn’t want this, Salford shouldn’t be allowed to compete.

hope this is a trend and Fev can do the same tomorrow. #yearoftheunderdog

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Salford trending nationally on Twitter right now, along with #SLWigSal.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, Bolton Leyther said:

How fantastic it is for the sport that we don't have two of the usual suspects in the grand final for once. It's just a shame I keep remembering that Paul Rowley's involved with them.

Perhaps Paul is one of the reasons they are there. 

That smile and the emotion with it at the end of the interview with Ian Blease... that's what sport and TGG is all about.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Wow, what a performance by Salford. Delighted for Watson, Blease, all the players and their fans. Outstanding aggression with and without the ball, Wigan didn't get a sniff.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

That smile and the emotion with it at the end of the interview with Ian Blease... that's what sport and TGG is all about.

Thought it was based on demographics, stadiums and number of burger outlets....

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

1 minute ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Thought it was based on demographics, stadiums and number of burger outlets....

Now, now ... play nice.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Where do you even start with that? Well done to Salford, a real fairytale run and just shows what can be achieved with an astute coach, spirit and effort. 

Wigan were beyond awful, but take nothing away from Salford, their line speed and defensive discipline was unreal. 

As much as I’ll never hear the end of it from Salford-supporting mates, they’re truly living the dream and flying for the flag for us smaller clubs. Glad I’m going on holiday on Monday though to avoid it all! 

5 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Unbelievable. Must be great to be a Salford fan, that atmosphere looked amazing and seeing old blokes and young kids emotional in the crowd got me a bit too. Well done Salford you deserve it.

kudos to Jackson Hastings as well, turned it around and now seems so humble. Emotional scenes.

lets not forget Scotchy doesn’t want this, Salford shouldn’t be allowed to compete.

hope this is a trend and Fev can do the same tomorrow. #yearoftheunderdog

Hastings is not just a well organised player, he looks to be pretty well sorted in head. 

Salford were outstanding and the game was over within 15 minutes. Their forwards constantly laid the platform and rolled up the field with ease. Have to say, I cannot understand our tactics at all for the last two weeks. Why are we trying to play up the middle and out muscle other teams, our props aren’t big enough or good enough. Our strength has been getting the ball out wide which for some reason we have stopped doing. Our defence has also stopped moving up and is standing and waiting for the attacking players.

Wigan's performance also means that Salford didn't bust themselves to bits to win tonight. It wasn't a gruelling brutal slog, so they should be physically well set for the GF.

Of course, Saints weren't massively stressed against Wigan either, and have an extra week's rest, recuperation and preparation time, but at least the Devils aren't limping to Old Trafford.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

41 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Wigan must be setting a record for number of passes going to ground.

Ssh Dave, that was the one award we had sewn up at the Grand Final dinner.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Archived