One positive of the GB tour is...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be seriously looking at playing a few internationals before Australia next year if I were England. Pushing it but something like:

Mid Year 1 - Away V Pacific team or Lebanon (if they can get a full strength side)

Mid Year 2 - Home V Ireland (Super League players only, strongest other Euro team from the World Cup 17).

End of Year 1 - Away V France

End of Year 2 - Home or Away V Scotland/Italy/Ireland/Wales/Jamaica

That and look at a 4-5 game program for the Knights as well with a genuine aim of filling it with the next best 17 under the age of 25 to build depth for the World Cup.

The way it is going England could really do with trying to develop one or more of France, Wales, Ireland, Scotland even Italy up to a competitive standard even if it isn't "their job". With the rise of the Pacific teams England risk being isolated somewhat.

A full Euro Cup could be the incentive these teams need to regularly get their best teams on the park even if England win it for the next 20 years straight.

4 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Even our NRL players looked shadows of the players they were for their clubs

It was a recipe for disaster the squad he picked. I think he had the shackles on some of the aussie based lads aswel. Hodgson was poor all tour,!! 

5 hours ago, Celt said:

when is that going to be?

We started talking about it about 3 years ago.  Union got in first, and have now had their team in the aussie competition for 2 seasons.  

Is Rugby League just going to keep talking about it?  Or are we actually finally going to see this team?

It is confirmed for next year starting in the Ron Massey Cup (3rd division). Kaiviti Silktails.

On 16/11/2019 at 13:01, Chris22 said:

Since 2017, Papua New Guinea, Fiji and Tonga have all beaten “tier 1” nations, and in Tonga’s case, have beaten all three of them. For the international game to succeed, it is essential that there is greater uncertainty in results. Whilst often criticised, the NRL’s introduction of an international weekend in June is a huge fillip to the sport.

The pacific nations are now bearing fruit as a result of greater inclusion in the domestic Australian game and more regular international fixtures. To remove the Great Britain hat for a moment and place on the whole game hat, this autumn’s internationals do have positives to take from them.

But for Britain...yep almost no positives aside from a likely return for a mid season test and more regular in-season camps.

We might easily play much better and still lose 4 games on the bounce by 1 point. Would this be terrible?

On 16/11/2019 at 22:40, Celt said:

Yes, absolutely. No argument there.

I was just remarking that very few of their current team play for the Hunters, from what I could see anyway.

So they are not heritage players but home grown players that have moved onto different clubs.

A point you fail to recognise!

On 16/11/2019 at 18:34, Celt said:

It is not ignorant at all.  This year they have used the 2 boys from Souths, Russell in the 2nd row and Olam from Melbourne, among others who I can't think of off the top of my head.  They also used David Mead, who was with the Titans for years.  I was referring to the fact that they have used bigger players over recent seasons, some of whom are australian based.  In previous decades, they struggled as most of their players were tiny.

I am well aware of the Hunters.  i have no idea what your point is.  They have brought through some good players - I did not say otherwise.  There were hardly any Hunters players in the squad today though as far as I saw.  Perhaps you know otherwise?

I appreciate you are sore after yet another english humiliation, but calm it down a bit.  You were absolutely leathered in the second half by a mixture of a few pros, and some hungry part timers.  At the end of the day, we are both trying to credit PNG with moving in the right direction. 

Incidentally...

"that's so ignorant to the development of native players I have ever heard!!!"  

your squealing doesn't actually make any grammatical sense.  I can understand it, but that's about it.

England wasn't playing....

The Celtic nations were involved as well as it was GB who were playing again another failing of yourself!

I am begining to think you are a troll !!

The GB coach was poor and the player selection was very poor.

The GB coach has said he wasn't trying to win and was trailing players

1 minute ago, Celt said:

All players were English, or England-qualified.

There were no Scotsmen or Irishmen playing, and no Scottish or Irish fans travelled to follow the team. (FWIW it looked like very few English followed either).

"Another failing of yourself"

- how laughably pompous after the disaster that was your national team's attempt at playing part-timers.

Simply calling something "Great Britain" does absolutely zero to engage with Scotland, Ireland (or Wales - although without checking, I am aware that there might have been a Welshman playing). 

Even the journalists were referring to the team as England FFS.

BTW - what in god's name does "trailing players" mean? I have never heard this expression. Is it like a northern saying or something?

Haha it's GB not England. Would Coote qualify to play for England??

You refer to them as England is incorrect and makes you look very foolish and unknowledgable similar to the media.

I agree that being GB is a bit farcical but the team were representing the whole of GB.

Similar to the Olympics where that Andy Murray was representing GB and not just Scotland.

Autocorrect is an odd thing obviously I ment on trial. However we should stick to RL and any English language debates should be moved to AOB forum.

Interesting that we speak English though as do a lot of non-english people...maybe there's a new thread right there??

16 minutes ago, Celt said:

I never referred to them as England. Nowhere do i call them England. I just said the journalists following the tour did.

I simply talked about the English players. And yes, OK... Coote is Australian. Well done. 1 guy who might or might not qualify for England. (I have no idea of his grand parentage)

"Obviously" you meant on trial? GB had players on trial? Aye... OK.... One of the most pathetic excuses ever heard.

"Representing the whole of GB". Fine. Represent who they like. The PNG victory was discussed on a Scottish 'Rugby' Forum and the overwhelming sentiment was 'CGAF'. It was a team of English players (and an Australian) supported by English people.

Again showing your ignorance Hastings isn't English and also isn't a winger.

You refered to them as England in your first post saying Aussie based players beat England.. 

Also PNG are no longer semi pro as you again say in your first post.

You need to remember what you say as it appears a little silly when it's all traceable on the same thread!

The Scotland rugby thread can say what they like... it was a GB team representing GB. I didn't want GB to be brought back but it was and they were representing the whole island. 

There was probably no one from Rutland or Cornwall in the squad but you don't see them moaning

36 minutes ago, Celt said:

I said English or English or English-qualified. They all are. (Except possibly Coote, as I conceded - as i have no idea of his heritage).

PNG had guys from England's lower leagues, France and the NSW cup (or whatever it is called now). A number of them are not professionals, they are part time players.

I'll scroll back and see where i made this 1 reference to them as England. (Which....they effectively were as i have pointed out to you).

As for people from Cornwall and "Rutland" (where the eff is that?!) I imagine they are "not complaining" as they don't care!!  I mean - how many people follow your national team anyway??? You play home games at Leigh FFS - it doesn't even have a railway station. Is Rutland anywhere near Coventry? Or Leigh? Or whichever other massive stadia your national team has graced recently?? The sporting public clearly have no interest in your national team - probably partly due to the fact that you change its name from 'England' to 'Great Britain' in order to include somebody called Lachlan Coote.... Who is not from Great Britain. ?

I think your true colours are starting to come to the forefront ...

18 minutes ago, Celt said:

Linked to my post immediately above. Just can't stick the arrogance of people comparing my country to places such as Cornwall or Rutland.

Might be difficult for English posters to understand, but it is very offensive. 

Cornwall is similar to Scotland...

both were a different country with a different language.

Both now speak English as their main language, 

Both have a seperate flag

Both are ruled from Westminster

Both have seperation movements 

Both are rubbish at rugby league

On 16/11/2019 at 11:25, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

... Mid season internationals with France and Wales might well be competetive based on those performances

Lets get the international break in! 

ahhhh, the old mid-season test against France, otherwise known as the answer to all of rugby league’s problems....?

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

ahhhh, the old mid-season test against France, otherwise known as the answer to all of rugby league’s problems....?

Not an answer but better than just a training session meet up for England

Also- it would mean more to France and Wales to have the regular fixture

We moan that the Aussies can't be bothered playing us any more as they always win. Hypocritical for us to do the same

Call me cynical but all that ever happens with the mid-season France games is we bung it on a Tuesday night in a 10k stadium and put 30 - 50 points on them.  I don't think it does us or them much good, but yeah ok, have it as a training run out for us.

18 hours ago, Tonka said:

No no.. the answer to all Rugby League's problems is no team ever playing a team worse than them so we don't embarrass ourselves in front of people who aren't even paying attention.

18 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

No no.. the answer to all Rugby League's problems is no team ever playing a team worse than them so we don't embarrass ourselves in front of people who aren't even paying attention.

Agree it's not the answer to problems but it could potentially help grow international rugby league if a weaker team uses it as an opportunity to learn and grow from the experience - i think it's good to play tests even if there is a bit of a mismatch.

3 hours ago, overtheborder said:

Agree it's not the answer to problems but it could potentially help grow international rugby league if a weaker team uses it as an opportunity to learn and grow from the experience - i think it's good to play tests even if there is a bit of a mismatch.

Union regularly plays these Mis match games and is stronger for it. 

France are generally not so far off the pace that it's a totally one sided game that's a 60pt blow out. 

Regular games give them a incentive to improve. 

• 1 month later...
On 20/11/2019 at 17:25, yipyee said:

Cornwall is similar to Scotland...

both were a different country with a different language.

Both now speak English as their main language, 

Both have a seperate flag

Both are ruled from Westminster

Both have seperation movements 

Both are rubbish at rugby league

Cornish Rebels only team in the South West to win the league 3 seasons in the bounce and 2 where league and cup double seasons. 

Compared to heartlands clubs yeah we probably are rubbish but weve rolled Rugby league out to over 250 schools working in partnership with St Helen's over the last 5 years, so I'd say we are better than Scotland haha

4 hours ago, CornishRebel said:

Cornish Rebels only team in the South West to win the league 3 seasons in the bounce and 2 where league and cup double seasons. 

Compared to heartlands clubs yeah we probably are rubbish but weve rolled Rugby league out to over 250 schools working in partnership with St Helen's over the last 5 years, so I'd say we are better than Scotland haha

I don't want to get into the emotive, ''we are better than you'' stuff but congratulations to you for the efforts you've made down there. How many of those schools still play the game? What did you mean, when you said ''rolled out''? 

Archived