Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bedfordshire Bronco

One positive of the GB tour is...

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

... Mid season internationals with France and Wales might well be competetive based on those performances

Lets get the international break in! 

We’re better off playing Holland or Serbia. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One positive ..? The fantastic forethought and insight involved in deciding we didn’t play  Australia 😳

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since 2017, Papua New Guinea, Fiji and Tonga have all beaten “tier 1” nations, and in Tonga’s case, have beaten all three of them. For the international game to succeed, it is essential that there is greater uncertainty in results. Whilst often criticised, the NRL’s introduction of an international weekend in June is a huge fillip to the sport.

The pacific nations are now bearing fruit as a result of greater inclusion in the domestic Australian game and more regular international fixtures. To remove the Great Britain hat for a moment and place on the whole game hat, this autumn’s internationals do have positives to take from them.

But for Britain...yep almost no positives aside from a likely return for a mid season test and more regular in-season camps.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Twitter: @TrylineBlog 
Latest Blog: #GBRLLIONS - It's over...you can open your eyes now - https://thetryline.blogspot.com/2019/11/international-wrap-7-gbrllions-its.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Josh Jones did alright, after an iffy first game. Not sure why he wasn’t there today. Philbin too did ok. Wasn’t sure either could step up but they didn’t look out of place. 

Hastings was the biggest disappointment for me, I’m just not sure what his role was in the team and it didn’t look like he did either. The spine of the team didn’t click at all which is a real worry as I’m not sure who we’ll be going in with next year, let alone 2021. Williams passing looks shocking at times. If we had everyone fit, I’d probably go with Lomax and Widdop with Hardaker or Tomkins at full back. Perhaps Jack Walker or Jake Trueman will put pressure on over the next couple of years 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I thought Josh Jones did alright, after an iffy first game. Not sure why he wasn’t there today. Philbin too did ok. Wasn’t sure either could step up but they didn’t look out of place. 

Hastings was the biggest disappointment for me, I’m just not sure what his role was in the team and it didn’t look like he did either. The spine of the team didn’t click at all which is a real worry as I’m not sure who we’ll be going in with next year, let alone 2021. Williams passing looks shocking at times. If we had everyone fit, I’d probably go with Lomax and Widdop with Hardaker or Tomkins at full back. Perhaps Jack Walker or Jake Trueman will put pressure on over the next couple of years 

Yeh after looking pretty good on paper I’d say the halves was the biggest disappointment . Just never gelled or got any control or direction going . Couldn’t get the back line going and the end to sets from guys who’s stock in trade it is was really shocking 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Yeh after looking pretty good on paper I’d say the halves was the biggest disappointment . Just never gelled or got any control or direction going . Couldn’t get the back line going and the end to sets from guys who’s stock in trade it is was really shocking 

They just never seemed to work in tandem or take control out there. They seemed to work in isolation on their own sides of the pitch, which then made it easy for the defence to pick off because there were fewer combinations possible 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One positive?

England (GB) fans are going to be forced to stop pretending that they are some kind of world-level team. 

 

What. A. Circus.


Rugby League: Alive and Handling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Celt said:

One positive?

England (GB) fans are going to be forced to stop pretending that they are some kind of world-level team. 

 

What. A. Circus.

England narrowly lost the last World Cup final. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Competitive matches are good for the game regardless of the results. If anything it shows we need to get our fingers out so do the Aussies and take the PI sides seriously. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Positive?.. GB will hopefully be moth balled again and only bought back when it can be done correctly.

  • Like 5

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One positive is that It does show the emergence of PNG as a viable top level test team.

For a country of relative midgets, steeped in poverty, they have done really well to tap into the right athletes (Oz based pros etc) and looked a good bit bigger today than in previous years. (I have noticed this trend with their teams since about 2013)

They hammered the English in that second half, and if they continue to improve should become at least one of the teams who at least influences/impacts World Cups etc.

  • Like 1

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Yeh after looking pretty good on paper I’d say the halves was the biggest disappointment . Just never gelled or got any control or direction going . Couldn’t get the back line going and the end to sets from guys who’s stock in trade it is was really shocking 

The end of sets was vapid to say the least. Either a pointless dig at the line or a rubbish kick with no real chase.... Awful 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That second rate player's and administrators have been shown for what they really are.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

positive? theres been some fantastic rl  tries and skills on show to watch live on mainstream tv on a gloomy autumn sat morn (although not by GB)

Edited by graveyard johnny
  • Like 3

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Celt said:

One positive is that It does show the emergence of PNG as a viable top level test team.

For a country of relative midgets, steeped in poverty, they have done really well to tap into the right athletes (Oz based pros etc) and looked a good bit bigger today than in previous years. (I have noticed this trend with their teams since about 2013)

They hammered the English in that second half, and if they continue to improve should become at least one of the teams who at least influences/impacts World Cups etc.

Oz based pros... that's so ignorant to the development of native players I have ever heard!!!

Go research the hunters!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, yipyee said:

Oz based pros... that's so ignorant to the development of native players I have ever heard!!!

Go research the hunters!!

It is not ignorant at all.  This year they have used the 2 boys from Souths, Russell in the 2nd row and Olam from Melbourne, among others who I can't think of off the top of my head.  They also used David Mead, who was with the Titans for years.  I was referring to the fact that they have used bigger players over recent seasons, some of whom are australian based.  In previous decades, they struggled as most of their players were tiny.

I am well aware of the Hunters.  i have no idea what your point is.  They have brought through some good players - I did not say otherwise.  There were hardly any Hunters players in the squad today though as far as I saw.  Perhaps you know otherwise?

I appreciate you are sore after yet another english humiliation, but calm it down a bit.  You were absolutely leathered in the second half by a mixture of a few pros, and some hungry part timers.  At the end of the day, we are both trying to credit PNG with moving in the right direction. 

Incidentally...

"that's so ignorant to the development of native players I have ever heard!!!"  

your squealing doesn't actually make any grammatical sense.  I can understand it, but that's about it.

 


Rugby League: Alive and Handling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Celt said:

It is not ignorant at all.  This year they have used the 2 boys from Souths, Russell in the 2nd row and Olam from Melbourne, among others who I can't think of off the top of my head.  They also used David Mead, who was with the Titans for years.  I was referring to the fact that they have used bigger players over recent seasons, some of whom are australian based.  In previous decades, they struggled as most of their players were tiny.

I am well aware of the Hunters.  i have no idea what your point is.  They have brought through some good players - I did not say otherwise.  There were hardly any Hunters players in the squad today though as far as I saw.  Perhaps you know otherwise?

I appreciate you are sore after yet another english humiliation, but calm it down a bit.  You were absolutely leathered in the second half by a mixture of a few pros, and some hungry part timers.  At the end of the day, we are both trying to credit PNG with moving in the right direction. 

Incidentally...

"that's so ignorant to the development of native players I have ever heard!!!"  

your squealing doesn't actually make any grammatical sense.  I can understand it, but that's about it.

 

Players like the Boas and Albert brothers, Olam, Puara and Amean may not be Hunters players now, but that's where they first caught the eye of their current clubs.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Players like the Boas and Albert brothers, Olam, Puara and Amean may not be Hunters players now, but that's where they first caught the eye of their current clubs.yes

Yes, absolutely. No argument there.

I was just remarking that very few of their current team play for the Hunters, from what I could see anyway.


Rugby League: Alive and Handling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Celt said:

Yes, absolutely. No argument there.

I was just remarking that very few of their current team play for the Hunters, from what I could see anyway.

Plenty more will come from the Hunters, no matter where they end up. That was one of the objectives of the SPH project. No more occasional one-offs like Adrian Lam or Marcus Bai, but a real production line of chunky blokes who enjoy flamboyant attacking play and turning opposition players into steak tartare.


Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...