15 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Let's just hope there isnt a forum thread  at the BBC titled - Let's drop Rugby League..... Be carefull what you wish for.

Absolutely,there would be a very short queue of broadcasters offering to replace the BBC.

Thats partly why I constantly encourage people to visit the RL pages on BBC Sport and when possible post a brief comment.Use it or lose it.

• Like 4

BBC’s coverage of Rugby League is quite good. Mark Chapman is knowledgable, the panel of Jon Wilkin, Brian Noble and Robbie Paul are alright too, i personally don’t like Jonathan Davies as I find he just states the bleeding obvious but I don’t really see much in the BBC’s coverage of Rugby League that you can knock. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

BBC’s coverage of Rugby League is quite good. Mark Chapman is knowledgable, the panel of Jon Wilkin, Brian Noble and Robbie Paul are alright too, i personally don’t like Jonathan Davies as I find he just states the bleeding obvious but I don’t really see much in the BBC’s coverage of Rugby League that you can knock. 

I think Jonathan Davies plays the role of being an iconic rugby name that might attract general sports fans to watch in the way the others aren’t.

I agree his contributions aren't earth shattering in their insight, but might be in simplistic enough to engage non-fanatics.

And we need to attract new fans to the sport even if just to watch on tv.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Jonathan Davis talked more sense than the rest of the pundits put together whilst covering the recent GB games.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Gooleboy said:

Jonathan Davis talked more sense than the rest of the pundits put together whilst covering the recent GB games.

There have been times in the past when he's been a bit of a downer, but I think Chapman's light-hearted, fun approach livens Jiffy up a bit.

And having Robbie Hunter-Paul in the studio keeps him off the pitch, at least.

• Like 6

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Just now, Futtocks said:

There have been times in the past when he's been a bit of a downer, but I think Chapman's light-hearted, fun approach livens Jiffy up a bit.

And having Robbie Hunter-Paul in the studio keeps him off the pitch, at least.

Good points, what I like about Davies is he doesn't watch through SL tinted glasses.

• Like 2

On 07/12/2019 at 12:21, Dave W said:

The big problem with the Challenge Cup on the BBC is - thanks to the seeding system - the big clubs don't get involved until the last 16, substantially reducing their potential TV exposure. 

It's no wonder the average viewer doesn't know any Rugby League players any more. 

Every pro club should be in the hat for the first round. 

If the big clubs don't like the idea of these extra games, either don't enter the competition or actually do some squad rotation for a change. 

All pro and semi pro should be in the Round of 32.  Unfortunately the RFL are terrified of a CC Final between say Wigan v Hunslet.

The CC should be revamped and at the Round of 32(or say 24) split into pools to select 8 teams to go into the quarter finals.

This would create a world cup style tournament that would interest a TV company.  We could then drop loop fixtures.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

All pro and semi pro should be in the Round of 32.  Unfortunately the RFL are terrified of a CC Final between say Wigan v Hunslet.

The CC should be revamped and at the Round of 32(or say 24) split into pools to select 8 teams to go into the quarter finals.

This would create a world cup style tournament that would interest a TV company.  We could then drop loop fixtures.

Club chairmen would probably vote for cup pools and loop fixtures.

• Haha 3

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

3 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

I like this idea: My main point is about the pro game squandering an opportunity to maximise its exposure on a free to air platform.

The BBC shows a game from every round on its various platforms and the big boys are running scared. 

Edited by Dave W

11 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I think J Davies is best when in the studio talking about the sport and butting in to call out some exaggeration or some BS, and i wish J Peacock would speak more clearly at times and R Hunter-Paul would slow down, same goes for J Wilkin at times too, blinking working class people seem worried that ppl will say they're turning posh or middle class if they would start to speak more slowly. Same in Aus. A Woods is getting ridiculous, i think it's insecurity.  

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

I think J Davies is best when in the studio talking about the sport and butting in to call out some exaggeration or some BS, and i wish J Peacock would speak more clearly at times and R Hunter-Paul would slow down, same goes for J Wilkin at times too, blinking working class people seem worried that ppl will say they're turning posh or middle class if they would start to speak more slowly. Same in Aus. A Woods is getting ridiculous, i think it's insecurity.  

I like Davis and agree that he doesnt look through rose tinted glasses at RL but I can still understand Peacock and Wilkin a lot easier than Davis.

On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 13:32, Gooleboy said:

That's the idea, make it even less appealing. We don't get many shocks these days, but when we do it creates news and interest.

Let's not forget Bradford knocked Leeds out last season

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

I've never understood why RHP is used so much. Chapman is a great presenter, but some of the panels can be too chummy, probably because of the heavy influence of former Bulls team mates and coaches!

9 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

I've never understood why RHP is used so much. Chapman is a great presenter, but some of the panels can be too chummy, probably because of the heavy influence of former Bulls team mates and coaches!

If you think the BBC is heavily influenced by former Bradford players, I wonder what you’re assessment on the Sky’s panel of ex-Wigan players is. 

Like it or not, Jonathan Davies is a true cross-code superstar of the game and the average viewer knows who he is. A sad indictment of the game of Rugby League is the relative lack of articulate and coherent former RL superstars who work well in front of the cameras, hence the same old faces all the time.

Paul Cullen tried his damnedest to get the gig a few years ago, but there's a fine line between articulate and gob$h1te and he tended to slip the wrong side of it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dave W said:

Like it or not, Jonathan Davies is a true cross-code superstar of the game and the average viewer knows who he is. A sad indictment of the game of Rugby League is the relative lack of articulate and coherent former RL superstars who work well in front of the cameras, hence the same old faces all the time.

Paul Cullen tried his damnedest to get the gig a few years ago, but there's a fine line between articulate and gob$h1te and he tended to slip the wrong side of it.

With the BBC? 

On 07/12/2019 at 12:40, Robthegasman said:

I personally would like to see the BBC abolished as they are nothing more than a far left wing,Pro EU Neo Nazi Zionist fascist organisation that is frankly against this country and democracy.

Rob. Seriously. Get a grip man. Even for you (given your ridiculous previous posts)  this is pathetic. The rugby league community will thank you if you just keep your fu**witted ideas to yourself. 

• Haha 1

I see that the Helen Rollinson Award at this year's Sports Personality programme is being award to ex Scottish Rugby Union player Doddie Wear who now has motor-neuron disease.

No complaint about him receiving the award. However, it does seem a bit odd that only today (Saturday) a special programme has been on BBC about his life and which the presenter said it took over two years to make.

I just wonder how long ago the decision to give him the award was actually made and did anyone else ever stand a chance of receiving it this year ?

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Confused 1

On 07/12/2019 at 10:52, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Watching the Channel 4 coverage of the Heinekin cup. The Big Tackle build up show witj Ed Jackson is fantastic. Getting to know the personalities linked with the afternoons game

The game coverage itself is fantastic too

Time for us to ditch the BBC and let another terrestrial channel do something similar with the Challenge cup?

New presenters, new format, a build up show getting to see the characters.....

*please don't start any union vs league ######.... I'm just talking about the media coverage

Yeh but let’s be honest , they have to make the programme all singing and dancing to detract from the fact that the actual game is so cack . Beeb gives us the majority of our exposure in reality 

Edited by DavidM

33 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Yeh but let’s be honest , they have to make the programme all singing and dancing to detract from the fact that the actual game is so cack . Beeb gives us the majority of our exposure in reality 

It can indeed be a bore at times I agree Dave 

I just think how good Channel 4 have been in wrapping the game up - same with Channel 5s coverage of the Gallagher Prem highlights ....

Not sure why we don't give them or another Terrestrial broadcaster a go

I like Tanya... Have met her twice in fact.... But we need a new format for super league show at least and she could have a co-presenter to bounce off..... Do the show from a different ground each week like C5 do... It works a treat

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco