The problem with the Super League Show is that it tends to be very dull. No-one on there has an opinion on anything, the pundits booked tend to say little and offer even less analysis, even when they are reviewing games from days ago.

Our only terrestrial outlet and it looks as though it costs pennies to make. That's RL though I guess!

As for sports personality, waste of time and energy to even get upset by it. Ignore it.

4 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

The problem with the Super League Show is that it tends to be very dull. No-one on there has an opinion on anything, the pundits booked tend to say little and offer even less analysis, even when they are reviewing games from days ago.

Our only terrestrial outlet and it looks as though it costs pennies to make. That's RL though I guess!

As for sports personality, waste of time and energy to even get upset by it. Ignore it.

The pundits they use are all involved in the game, so no criticism or opinions as everything has to be positive and it makes for boring viewing.

• Like 1

On 14/12/2019 at 17:27, RigbyLuger said:

It needs to move out of the studio and present from a ground each week. Give Tanya someone to bounce off...... 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

On the SPOTY programme Gary Lineker at 7.45pm has just introduced Ben Stokes as "the main award WINNER" !!!!!!!!!!!

(Funny that the award isn't going to announced for at least another hour yet)

I think a little bit more significant to the award not being announced for another hour was the public voting wasn't even open when Lineker made that comment.

Seeing as though Stokes was the favourite, should he win there will be loads of conspiracy theories flying around.

8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I think a little bit more significant to the award not being announced for another hour was the public voting wasn't even open when Lineker made that comment.

Seeing as though Stokes was the favourite, should he win there will be loads of conspiracy theories flying around.

There'll be conspiracy theories whatever was said. The whining on social media has encompassed everything negative as usual, Trolls who hate seeing women, disabled athletes, coloured people and pretty everyone else too on their TV screens are wearing their keyboards out as the evening goes on.

I just voted for Ben Stokes, because the end of the World Cup final was one of those experiences you never expect, and which require the brownest of trousers to follow.

• Like 3

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

On 14 December 2019 at 16:11, RL does what Sky says said:

I see that the Helen Rollinson Award at this year's Sports Personality programme is being award to ex Scottish Rugby Union player Doddie Wear who now has motor-neuron disease.

No complaint about him receiving the award. However, it does seem a bit odd that only today (Saturday) a special programme has been on BBC about his life and which the presenter said it took over two years to make.

I just wonder how long ago the decision to give him the award was actually made and did anyone else ever stand a chance of receiving it this year ?

Are you for real,I'm sure the programme initially had nothing to do with the award and is simply following Doddies courageous battle and his heroic efforts to raise awareness and funding for a terrible disease.

42 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

There'll be conspiracy theories whatever was said. The whining on social media has encompassed everything negative as usual, Trolls who hate seeing women, disabled athletes, coloured people and pretty everyone else too on their TV screens are wearing their keyboards out as the evening goes on.

I just voted for Ben Stokes, because the end of the World Cup final was one of those experiences you never expect, and which require the brownest of trousers to follow.

The comment by Linkeker was obviously just a slip of the tongue but I think the SPOTY programme itself has thesedays become too political and is more about publicising the aims of those who are perceived to give inspiration to others rather than just a celebration of the year's sporting achievements.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Are you for real,I'm sure the programme initially had nothing to do with the award and is simply following Doddies courageous battle and his heroic efforts to raise awareness and funding for a terrible disease.

I am not complaining about Doddie Wear getting the award and he really does deserve it for all the fundraising her has done. However it does appear a bit odd that a programme about him and which has taken two years to make was shown the day before SPOTY and him having been announced as the winner just a couple of days before.

It isn't the man I am commenting on; it's the way the BBC have seemingly picked someone for the award which coincides with a programme they have been involved with.

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, RL does what Sky says said:

publicising the aims of those who are perceived to give inspiration to others

Those aims being to succeed in sport? Not sure that's an issue tbf

Just now, RL does what Sky says said:

I am not complaining about Doddie Wear getting the award and he really does deserve it for all the fundraising her has done. However it does appear a bit odd that a programme about him and which has taken two years to make was shown the day before SPOTY and him having been announced as the winner a just a couple of days before.

It isn't the man I am commenting on; it's the way the BBC have seemingly picked someone for the award which coincides with a programme they have been involved with.

Maybe some RL fans think to deep regarding the BBC'S motives. They may have been following his story for how ever long, and it is just coincidence that it now coincides with SPOTY.

• Like 1

Just now, Oliver Clothesoff said:

No people complaining about how little coverage RL got on the SPOTY? Disappointed. That would have given me a full house in TotalRL bonkers posts bingo. 

Very little coverage of many sports .... that's why I say the programme is now more about alternative issues rather than actually showing the best moments of the year.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

No people complaining about how little coverage RL got on the SPOTY? Disappointed. That would have given me a full house in TotalRL bonkers posts bingo. 

Given GB's performances in 2019, I'm quite glad they didn't look at RL events too deeply. I'm sure the England women's cricket team are equally relieved.

• Like 2

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Trolls who hate seeing women, disabled athletes, coloured people and pretty everyone else too on their TV screens are wearing their keyboards out as the evening goes on.

🤨

Is it the 1970s?

• Like 1

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

17 minutes ago, Celt said:

🤨

Is it the 1970s?

Seems like it sometimes.

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Trolls who hate seeing women, disabled athletes, coloured people and pretty everyone else too on their TV screens are wearing their keyboards out as the evening goes on.

I agree with the above, however it should also be that particular groups do not receive excess publicity just because of a certain way they are. For example, on SPOTY they showed and mentioned a woman jockey for no other reason than that she had been the first to race in a hijab. Wearing a hijab gave her neither an advantage nor a disadvantage when racing - and therefore I personally couldn't care less if she wears one - but if it didn't effect her performance why give her publicity and highlight it on a sports' programme ?  That's what I meant earlier about the programme becoming too political instead of just showing the best sporting moments of the year.

And before anyone says about racism, I would feel the same if they said a jockey had been the first to wear a vicar's dog collar.

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Confused 1

I have absolutely no issue with the lack of coverage from the BBC on SPOTY. They want to show what they think people want to see and its very obvious rugby league is low down on their list and thats a fair reflection of where the sport is in the UK.

The sport is a minority one and its not up to the BBC to promote it. Its up to the RFL and SL to make people stand up and notice and as it stands they dont do that. 

Most casual sports fan in the UK could  probably name a footballer, cricketer, F1 driver, tennis player, darts player, jockey, RU player, athletics stars..... But I also bet the same casual sports fan would struggle to name a UK based RL player. As i said its a fair and accurate reflection of where the sport is and just because its our choice of sport does not mean it automatically gets 5-10 mins of coverage. If it did a suspect most veiwers would go and put the kettle on like i use to at times when i use to watch it. 

RL needs to do more to engage with BBC Sport in my view, not less. RL has dissappeared from view in the close season mainly because in my view to does not generate and promote any useful content. Game sells it's self, right? 😮

• Like 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

19 minutes ago, JohnM said:

RL needs to do more to engage with BBC Sport in my view, not less. RL has dissappeared from view in the close season mainly because in my view to does not generate and promote any useful content. Game sells it's self, right? 😮

Agreed. I also think part of the problem is that many followers of RL still can't (or won't) accept that around the UK it is not considered as a major sport in comparison with several others. Over here we always try and compare ourselves with Australia yet that's akin to the Australian football team trying to compare themselves to the England team ... yes, they might get the odd win but overall they will never match them.

11 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

I agree with the above, however it should also be that particular groups do not receive excess publicity just because of a certain way they are. For example, on SPOTY they showed and mentioned a woman jockey for no other reason than that she had been the first to race in a hijab. Wearing a hijab gave her neither an advantage nor a disadvantage when racing - and therefore I personally couldn't care less if she wears one - but if it didn't effect her performance why give her publicity and highlight it on a sports' programme ?  That's what I meant earlier about the programme becoming too political instead of just showing the best sporting moments of the year.

And before anyone says about racism, I would feel the same if they said a jockey had been the first to wear a vicar's dog collar.

Sorry, I cannot agree with the sentiment of this post.

We are on a Rugby League forum which is a sport with a proud history of breaking cultural barriers. As a sport we are proud of the fact that Clive Sullivan was the first person of colour to captain a major national British team or Ellery Hanley was one of the first (or the first) black national team managers.

In Australia, Arthur Beetson was the first indigenous Australian to captain a national team.

None of these characteristics made Sullivan, Hanley or Beetson better players but we celebrate them because we recognise that it highlights our sport as respectful, inclusive and forward thinking.

And yet a fan of our sport sees absolutely no value in celebrating another sport breaking through a cultural barrier with a dismissive 'why give her publicity' remark.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/12/2019 at 11:01, PREPOSTEROUS said:

This is assuming other channels want it? If they did they would bid for it. I've certainly not heard of interest from anyone but the bbc. Whether that's because the RFL are stick in the mud's who dont bother asking further afield or whether they do but get nothing back.

Perhaps this is the problem.

There are unlikely to be competitors so the BBC don't feel pressured into broadcasting the CC with bells and whistles.

You don't spend money if you don't have to.