Had to go to the Lister Hospital at Stevenage for a long standing appointment yesterday. Drove up the A1 from St Albans to Stevenage at 2pm, 15 miles, hardly a car on the road. Got to hospital and as the examination suite had been relocated I was taken to the new venue by a porter. We went down corridor after corridor packed with boxes of equipment. I saw rubber gloves, face masks, disposable gowns, disposable cubicle curtains and dozens more items all in hundreds and hundreds of boxes, floor to ceiling, lining the corridors.  After the examination, I was chatting to the consultant,  and he was pretty pee'd off with the public in general.  He said that he had been to several virus conferences lately and in his opinion (and that of a lot of other high ranking medical personnel) if most people followed the scientific advice about social distancing the virus would not only be in a position to be controlled, but the death rate would be kept considerably lower.  

• Like 1

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

3 minutes ago, Exiled Townie said:

Had to go to the Lister Hospital at Stevenage for a long standing appointment yesterday. Drove up the A1 from St Albans to Stevenage at 2pm, 15 miles, hardly a car on the road. Got to hospital and as the examination suite had been relocated I was taken to the new venue by a porter. We went down corridor after corridor packed with boxes of equipment. I saw rubber gloves, face masks, disposable gowns, disposable cubicle curtains and dozens more items all in hundreds and hundreds of boxes, floor to ceiling, lining the corridors.  After the examination, I was chatting to the consultant,  and he was pretty pee'd off with the public in general.  He said that he had been to several virus conferences lately and in his opinion (and that of a lot of other high ranking medical personnel) if most people followed the scientific advice about social distancing the virus would not only be in a position to be controlled, but the death rate would be kept considerably lower.  

You must have been imagining all those boxes of PPE because according to the media not a single hospital has a disposable glove anywhere!

2 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

You must have been imagining all those boxes of PPE because according to the media not a single hospital has a disposable glove anywhere!

You've obviously missed the NHS staff saying that. Or ignored it.

Just now, Damien said:

You've obviously missed the NHS staff saying that. Or ignored it.

I've seen a couple of NHS staff interviewed saying that.  Just a couple.  How many NHS staff do we have in this country?  Maybe they missed the delivery.  But either way, clearly the government is telling the truth: PPE is being delivered.  

1 minute ago, Saintslass said:

The porter told me the hospital stores were full and these were the overflow as they had nowhere to put them.  Mind you, they should have a lot laying about as all routine operations and examinations had been cancelled, and there were signs up saying that as of yesterday, no visitors were being allowed to any patient in any ward.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

14 minutes ago, Exiled Townie said:

I hope he was no closer than 2m away when telling you this

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Saintslass said:

I've seen a couple of NHS staff interviewed saying that.  Just a couple.  How many NHS staff do we have in this country?  Maybe they missed the delivery.  But either way, clearly the government is telling the truth: PPE is being delivered.  

A couple?? Oh come on. You are either lieing or living in a bubble. There was far more than a couple on the ITV documentary that has just been on. Did you not see that? I must see or hear at least a dozen a day in the widespread coverage. I personally know 6 who work in the NHS who all complain about shortages, I must tell them that they are making it up.

30 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

No he's still racist.  

and the smug do gooder society wouldn't listen and now look at the mess we are in 

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

Just now, graveyard johnny said:

and the smug do gooder society wouldn't listen and now look at the mess we are in 

Wrong thread.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

I hope he was no closer than 2m away when telling you this

I was in the car park, he was leaning out of the window with his probe on a stick - social distancing at it's best.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Exiled Townie said:

I was in the car park, he was leaning out of the window with his probe on a stick - social distancing at it's best.

Good stuff.

Hope you and yours are safe and well during this ridiculous time.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Wrong thread.  

talk to the hands syndrome too BR? coronavirus is a direct result of things people concerned about animal welfare have gone on about for years - now we all have to suffer cos the world would not listen

Edited by graveyard johnny
  • Like 1

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

A couple?? Oh come on. You are either lieing or living in a bubble. There was far more than a couple on the ITV documentary that has just been on. Did you not see that? I must see or hear at least a dozen a day in the widespread coverage. I personally know 6 who work in the NHS who all complain about shortages, I must tell them that they are making it up.

I've not seen any documentary.  

People complaining about shortages.  What a novelty!  

Oh, and I mentioned the MEDIA.  It was you who brought up staff.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Good stuff.

Hope you and yours are safe and well during this ridiculous time.

Same here GJ, take care of youself and yours 👍

• Like 1

Just now, graveyard johnny said:

talk to the hands syndrome too BR? coronavirus is a direct result of things people concerned about animal welfare have gone on about for years - now we all have to suffer cos the world wound not listen

Have you gone vegan?

He's still a racist.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

talk to the hands syndrome too BR? coronavirus is a direct result of things people concerned about animal welfare have gone on about for years - now we all have to suffer cos the world wound not listen

Well, the Chinese government wouldn't listen anyway.  Hopefully, when this dire situation actually gets behind us (assuming it ever does), I sincerely hope the UK as well as every other nation in the world will make damned sure the Chinese government learns its lesson this time.  

Edited by Saintslass
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I've not seen any documentary.  

People complaining about shortages.  What a novelty!  

Oh, and I mentioned the MEDIA.  It was you who brought up staff.  

I give up. You are beyond parody. 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 minute ago, ckn said:

I give up. You are beyond parody. 

Always good to be insulted by the mod!

Just now, GUBRATS said:

I wish you weren't 

I've been "working" from home for 2 days now and already going stir crazy. Mrs Shadow's a community nurse and very much at the sharp end, I wish I'd been right.

On the plus side she has got plenty of PPE and I've got reacquainted with Jungle Strike.

• Like 2

Coronavirus Rhapsody

Edited by Padge
  • Like 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 hours ago, Exiled Townie said:

Had to go to the Lister Hospital at Stevenage for a long standing appointment yesterday. 

Off topic, I know

The Lister was my first ever agency job. May 1987. I watched Swinton beat New Hunslet in the first ever 2nd Division Premiership Final, then drove down to Stevenage. Never lived at home after.

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.