Jump to content

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, SSoutherner said:

Personally I would have given people the option of quarantined repatriation or styay there - i said sp at the time. The ones in Italy were covered under EHIC and the cost of paying the Italians for their care would have been an order of magnitude less than the cost of the lock down etc

Did you comment on this specifically at the time ? , Or is this hindsight talking ?

Is this the Italians whose health system was overwhelmed ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Did you comment on this specifically at the time ? , Or is this hindsight talking ?

Is this the Italians whose health system was overwhelmed ?

No I said it then -on here - I actually said i would leave the people in Wuhan there as well. Lots of talk about it here (as in Reading and surrounding area) as Horseman coaches who did the Brize Norton/Wirral transport for the Wuhan ones are the local school coach company. At the time I said if it is contagious as people say why are the drivers being allowed to drive the coaches with no protection and then just told to self isolate for 10 days

And being totally brutal I would rather a larger % of the British people infected in Italy died than they brought it back here set off some of the infection chains which have led to nearly 50k deaths

Edited by SSoutherner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SSoutherner said:

No I said it then -on here - I actually said i would leave the people in Wuhan there as well. Lots of talk about it here (as in Reading and surrounding area) as Horseman coaches who did the Brize Norton/Wirral transport for the Wuhan ones are the local school coach company. At the time I said if it is contagious as people say why are the drivers being allowed to drive the coaches with no protection and then just told to self isolate for 10 days

And being totally brutal I would rather a larger % of the British people infected in Italy died than they brought it back here set off some of the infection chains which have led to nearly 50k deaths

I assume you didn't have any relations abroad at the time ?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I assume you didn't have any relations abroad at the time ?

If i had i would have said the same - i would have done what i could to round up £ to pay for the best local healthcare for them but i would have still thought putting people who might have a respiratory spread disease together in a metal tube with recycled air was stupid in the extreme.

My accountant brother who regularly travels to spain, holland and Germany felt the same and stopped travelling from early March as soon as the reports looked iffy (as he does life insurance company audit amongst other things he saw some early mornings of possible effects on insurance companies)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

If i had i would have said the same - i would have done what i could to round up £ to pay for the best local healthcare for them but i would have still thought putting people who might have a respiratory spread disease together in a metal tube with recycled air was stupid in the extreme.

My accountant brother who regularly travels to spain, holland and Germany felt the same and stopped travelling from early March as soon as the reports looked iffy (as he does life insurance company audit amongst other things he saw some early mornings of possible effects on insurance companies)

Your kids or parents ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If only Sir Frederick Hoyle FRS had been involved in Sage. 


Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Niels said:

I've finally got some clippers. A bit apprehensive though especially as I work and have meetings. 

Is it best to do a grade 3 at front and top also? What about fringe?

 

 

I started off conservatively with a grade 5 all over, then went to 4, when I saw how much grade 5 was taking off

The clippers I (and probably yourself) have bought seem to get clogged up with hair quickly, and when they do they stop clipping hair off, so they will need clearing of hair often. Those at the hairdressers must be more efficient at getting rid of the hair its cutting

I then did the back and sides with grade 3, and the clippers I have also have a gradual cut comb, starting at grade 2 nearest the ears, to go around the ears. 

Good luck with it, it'll grow back if you make a mess of it. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

I started off conservatively with a grade 5 all over, then went to 4, when I saw how much grade 5 was taking off

The clippers I (and probably yourself) have bought seem to get clogged up with hair quickly, and when they do they stop clipping hair off, so they will need clearing of hair often. Those at the hairdressers must be more efficient at getting rid of the hair its cutting

I then did the back and sides with grade 3, and the clippers I have also have a gradual cut comb, starting at grade 2 nearest the ears, to go around the ears. 

Good luck with it, it'll grow back if you make a mess of it. 

Ahh. That’s what the attachments are for, when you’re follically challenged you forget about them ?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SSoutherner said:

The issue with both this and the idea of schools reopening in August will be Teachers

If a school has 30 classrooms of 30 pupils each with about 40 teachers (numbers out of the air) working 39 weeks a year then simply making it 60 classrooms or 15 each will not create the extra teachers needed, plus teachers (or a majority of) have been working all through and not Furloughed so you can't just tell them that after months of very stressful trying to manage remote teaching (whilst for a lot also homeschooling their own children) you are going to cut short their holidays and past about yr8 or 9 you can't through unqualified people in the extra classrooms or have non specialists teaching - I mean I could likely explain yr9 maths or even yr10 Geography to people but I am not a teacher and despite having Maths & Further Maths ALevels i was struggling with most of  my yr13 Daughters ALevel maths as I have forgotten it or the syllabus has changed to contain elements i never covered

The sooner a full and open public debate starts on exactly how we can help children catch up the better - or we will have to seriously consider just saying everyone repeats a year. And despite the govt's aversion to doing anything with unions they are going to have to engage with them to work out what is deliverable as otherwise if they are not engaged there will be chaos

Worth reading Ross Morrison McGill’s piece here. 

https://www.teachertoolkit.co.uk/2020/06/03/instructional-time/?utm_content=bufferbf238&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posts moved from here to Politics because they were clearly political in nature, or were close enough that they invited political responses.


"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just read that cases in northern Italy are on the rise again (in the towns previously at the centre of their outbreak) and there has also been a fresh outbreak in Beijing.  I'm a supporter of the quarantine plans put in place and I hope we stick with that plan regardless of the pressure from the travel industry (understandable though it is) because we just don't know how this virus is going to behave.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/06/2020 at 22:21, Saintslass said:

Actually, as I remember it, Cheltenham and the Liverpool soccer match were supposed to be to blame.  In the article, the soccer match is pretty much dismissed as a spreading event.

I've finished here but notices you'd replied so I thought it'd only be polite to respond.

The point was about travel and you moved it to the races and the football both would have included travel and lots from Spain in particular. There were putative reasons why all this was not stopped and most was turly inspired nonsense. I cannot say much more than that on this.

Stay safe & keep well

Russ


RL1.JPG.6a10be03c5528650e188f078de012540.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, shaun mc said:

I started off conservatively with a grade 5 all over, then went to 4, when I saw how much grade 5 was taking off

The clippers I (and probably yourself) have bought seem to get clogged up with hair quickly, and when they do they stop clipping hair off, so they will need clearing of hair often. Those at the hairdressers must be more efficient at getting rid of the hair its cutting

I then did the back and sides with grade 3, and the clippers I have also have a gradual cut comb, starting at grade 2 nearest the ears, to go around the ears. 

Good luck with it, it'll grow back if you make a mess of it. 

Thank you Shaun.

I had a go with grade 3 and I thought it looked ok. However my daughter came and said there were bald patches at the back. She showed me photos. I am not sure what happened.

However she has tidied it up for me. It's about a grade 1/2 now but at least it will grow evenly. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Niels said:

Thank you Shaun.

I had a go with grade 3 and I thought it looked ok. However my daughter came and said there were bald patches at the back. She showed me photos. I am not sure what happened.

However she has tidied it up for me. It's about a grade 1/2 now but at least it will grow evenly. 

Ha!  What would dads do without their daughters, eh? ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Ha!  What would dads do without their daughters, eh? ? 

Yes, I know, she has done a great job.

It is more difficult than it seemed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Niels said:

Yes, I know, she has done a great job.

It is more difficult than it seemed. 

Its not easy.....

And its another skill that we take for granted amongst other relatively low paid jobs

I think I'll have to do it at least a couple of times more, hairdressers will be very busy once they are open 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

Its not easy.....

And its another skill that we take for granted amongst other relatively low paid jobs

I think I'll have to do it at least a couple of times more, hairdressers will be very busy once they are open 

My hairdresser has already taken bookings in advance of reopening from 4 July.  In fact, I'm booked in on 4 July! Good job as I'm starting to look feral. ? She has obtained PPE and disposable towels and has rearranged the room so that people are socially distanced.  Everyone has to wear a face covering.  I've no idea whether hairdressers will open on 4 July - I suppose by that time we will have some idea whether the marches have impacted on the virus spread (we seem to have gotten away with the beaches so far) - but if they do then my hairdresser said she is already booked up for a month!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, agree with most of your post, but there are also the thousands on the beaches of the UK as well as the marches. 

The ones I saw on the beaches were all stating they were the same family when they were clearly not. At least as many people were on the beaches as protestors

We've got a two pronged impact

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the 4th July confirmed? I thought the official statement was "not before 4th July", not "on the 4th July."


Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

 

Doesn't surprise me - My sons bill for 4 hours in an American hospital

Charges: $4,628.76

Payments: 0.00

Adjustments: -$1,388.63

Total Due:

$3,240.13

 

 

 


Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Doesn't surprise me - My sons bill for 4 hours in an American hospital

Charges: $4,628.76

Payments: 0.00

Adjustments: -$1,388.63

Total Due:

$3,240.13

Hope he got his monies worth!


With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Hope he got his monies worth!

£2,600.00 He's not paid it yet (I've not paid it) The invoice he has received is on paper more like tissue paper, doesn't  have an invoice number just an account number, it doesn't even have bank details to make a payment , this is the company who do the collections,International Claims Specialist, Sunbelt Medical International

Edited by Marauder

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Marauder said:

£2,600.00 He's not paid it yet (I've not paid it) The invoice he has received is on paper more like tissue paper, doesn't  have an invoice number just an account number, it doesn't even have bank details to make a payment , this is the company who do the collections,International Claims Specialist, Sunbelt Medical International

No travel insurance then?  


With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

No travel insurance then?  

No he'd gone for 6 months and was going to be added and covered on his girlfriends insurance, they never got chance to sort it as he went to hospital within hours of getting there. young and daft and knows better than his dad.

  • Haha 1

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...