Slightly off topic had to take my mum 85 to the local a & e this afternoon  with a bad nose bleed.Amazingly A & E virtually deserted . Finally got bleeding stopped ,then when they were about to discharge  her ,when she rose bleeding has started again. They want to discharge her as this is this hospital is the coronavirus centre in Belfast

• Like 1

• Sad 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

18 minutes ago, ckn said:

See also - all the supply chain to airlines, plus airports, aiport shops, suppliers to the airports....

Edited by tim2
Drifted into politics so I'll save that for the other thread

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

At least somebody's remaining blithely optimistic in the face of adversity.

2020-03-15 18_45_06-Window.png

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

2 minutes ago, tim2 said:

See also - all the supply chain to airlines, plus airports, aiport shops, suppliers to the airports....

This is genuinely the first time it's hit home that this is going to be financially worse than 2008. Largely, in 2008, we could print money as a way to stop the bleeding in the immediate crisis. You can't stop this virus anytime soon.

I'll be looking at the politics thread for examples of leadership in this time of crisis.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 minute ago, ckn said:

This is genuinely the first time it's hit home that this is going to be financially worse than 2008. Largely, in 2008, we could print money as a way to stop the bleeding in the immediate crisis. You can't stop this virus anytime soon.

I'll be looking at the politics thread for examples of leadership in this time of crisis.

Hence the harsh decision about immediate lives lost versus financial disaster. Because of SARS, MERS, Bird Flu etc. the Far east seems better prepared. We are like a combo of a headless chicken and a rabbit in the headlights.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Bit of a hypothetical devils advocate question here.

Assuming you’re otherwise fit and healthy, might it be worth it to go out of your way to get it sooner rather than later?

It is very hypothetical. It would be reassuring to know when you have it, isolate for that period and then be fine. But, how will you know? Even if you get a nasty cough.

• Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, ckn said:

That is the main flag carrier for Denmark, Sweden and Norway. They have their own terminal 3 at Copenhagen airport. That is a big deal.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

1 hour ago, ckn said:

The last recession, the service industry stayed open and China carried on producing cheap goods.  Printing money might help the financial industry but without people spending this will be worse.  

• Sad 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Now off the cruise ship. This time of year, it’s an old crowd. The “announcement” today has spooked a lot of the over 70s. Genuinely shaken. And not just in the “had to have another free rum” sort of way. I think it’s brought home that not only is coronavirus not going away but that they are directly in the firing line. For me, Mrs Ginger has severe breathing issues so we may be younger but no less worried.

Tremendous holiday though. And the last one possible. The flight out to join the boat today was empty of passengers as their holidays have been cancelled.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

35 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

It is very hypothetical. It would be reassuring to know when you have it, isolate for that period and then be fine. But, how will you know? Even if you get a nasty cough.

Yeah from my limited understanding, you can have it but not even realise? Other people will obviously react differently but I imagine the average person might cope better with a mild dose, fight it off and recover.

• Like 1

Just now, Johnoco said:

Yeah from my limited understanding, you can have it but not even realise? Other people will obviously react differently but I imagine the average person might cope better with a mild dose, fight it off and recover.

The issue, as I understand it, is that they may not confer immunity? So you may get it again later?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The issue, as I understand it, is that they may not confer immunity? So you may get it again later?

Also heard that point too. Outside the boffins working on a cure, I aren’t sure anyone really knows what is happening. 

26 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Now off the cruise ship. This time of year, it’s an old crowd. The “announcement” today has spooked a lot of the over 70s. Genuinely shaken. And not just in the “had to have another free rum” sort of way. I think it’s brought home that not only is coronavirus not going away but that they are directly in the firing line. For me, Mrs Ginger has severe breathing issues so we may be younger but no less worried.

Tremendous holiday though. And the last one possible. The flight out to join the boat today was empty of passengers as their holidays have been cancelled.

Glad you got it done Jon 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Perhaps. But, it is new, so it is all speculation. It is probable that getting it will confer immunity, as even with virus that can change its face (flu), exposure builds resistenace until the immune system starts to faiil.

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

Also heard that point too. Outside the boffins working on a cure, I aren’t sure anyone really knows what is happening. 

Indeed, though I suspect few people know the full story and not the scientists. Denmark's actions only make sense if ICU's are full and they need to but time to prepare more, but that is not a science call. Equally, the UK are making a courageous call, presumably meaning they are not looking to get more ICU's.

Got to love the lady on the news just now who couldn't find toilet paper in the supermarket but had four bottles of Corona in her trolley.

• Haha 1

Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

21 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Got to love the lady on the news just now who couldn't find toilet paper in the supermarket but had four bottles of Corona in her trolley.

It’s a pity that there’s no hit singles anymore because me and my cover band are working on a new number. ‘My Corona’. It’s a Barron Knights style spoof of that Knack song and had it been the 70’s I’m certain it would have been on TOTP with Noel Edmonds and the Hairy Cornflake. 
Or at least we’d have been on Pebble Mill at One.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Got her priorities right at least! A friend said to me earlier today that if she has to self isolate she'll need me to go buy her 1,000 cigarettes. No mention of any other products, just fags! 

Lads just came in from his 12 hour shift at a well known supermarket , been verbally abuses right through the shift . What a shower of xxxx some  people are .

Edited by henage
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, henage said:

Lads just came in from his 12 hour shift at a well known supermarket , been verbally abuses right through the shift . What a shower of xxxx some  people are .

My lad just came back from his shift at the grocery store too...little less stress today...not as busy today.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

It’s a pity that there’s no hit singles anymore because me and my cover band are working on a new number. ‘My Corona’. It’s a Barron Knights style spoof of that Knack song and had it been the 70’s I’m certain it would have been on TOTP with Noel Edmonds and the Hairy Cornflake. 
Or at least we’d have been on Pebble Mill at One.

That could be a post straight out of my yoof!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1