9 minutes ago, ckn said:

It is unfortunately the only one that we have unless you're willing to take guesses as fact. I'd have thought we'd had enough of that sort of stuff.

For example, until late last night, some people who should know better were saying "this can't be transmitted to unborn children". Newly born child yesterday with infection. Same people are now pretending they didn't say it in the first place.

We have to live with a bit of uncertainty otherwise you run into groupthink and some pretty simple mistakes can come in. A persistent "but why?" attitude is probably the best for those dealing with it now when pushed with answers like "that can't happen", or "this is the only way to go".

yes, should always be asking the questions.

Although it can crowd out the communications sometimes... e.g. the really key measures introduced the other day being crowded out by sports shutdown if done at same time.  I'm guessing government and our Medical leaders are trying to communicate and focus on the most important at a moment in time. If announcing sports shutdown at same time then we miss the key messages/measures they want people to do.

So I guess its that responsible journalism being to the fore... a time to allow key measures to be communicated... then a time to question rather than a frenzy at a press conference.

Edited by redjonn
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I work in education and the closures seem to be dominating the environment at the moment. So many people just presume that closing them is the right thing to do and that the government are just being reckless. Most scientists I've heard seem to accept that it is a genuinely difficult choice.

The obvious point is that if we close too early, then we could end up having to close again and again.

I guess you will have seen this clip but I copy anyway with regard to school closures..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-51869464/coronavirus-government-expert-defends-not-closing-uk-schools

As you say, its coming but they think timing is critical

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ckn said:

At ours, the fresh pasta section was stocked to its fullest, no-one was buying that despite the long fridge life of it.

Went to the local butcher, no supply issues as expected. Same with other local independent shops. Went to the co-op for a few bits: pretty well stocked, other than toilet rolls (didn't see any) and very few kitchen rolls or tissues. Fortunately we don't need any of those... 

• Like 1

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

1 hour ago, gazza77 said:

Went to the local butcher, no supply issues as expected. Same with other local independent shops. Went to the co-op for a few bits: pretty well stocked, other than toilet rolls (didn't see any) and very few kitchen rolls or tissues. Fortunately we don't need any of those... 

For the sake of Gazza's Airbnb prospects, I would like to assure people that he does supply toilet roll and his personal hygiene is beyond repute.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

At the risk of being flippant...

As one of the at risk/vulnerable persons I noticed sitting here I was getting very warm and given my anxiety thinking I must be getting a temperature..... plus reading the various comments getting more and more concerned and hot 

The I noticed the missus had accidentally turned up the central heating very high....

You do realise it wouldn't have been an accident don't you? If she is anything like my missus then anything less than the oven temperature required to cook a chicken is too cold.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

A little tip, go to your local Asian supermarket and you will find bags of rice big enough to feed your street.  And no panic buying hordes.

• Like 6

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 minute ago, YCKonstantine said:

342 new cases and 10 new deaths in one day.

These numbers are starting to become very worrying.

And again, that’s without any testing outside of admitted to hospital patients. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

4 minutes ago, YCKonstantine said:

Game over then isn't it.

I think our option left is to trust the stuff coming from the government and hope they know what they're doing.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

15 minutes ago, ckn said:

I think our option left is to trust the stuff coming from the government and hope they know what they're doing.

The problem is the people that still simply do not care. 

Had an interesting experience in shop in our local town just earlier..

My wife due to type of medication needed to buy some sun blocking cream... so off to local Space-NK shop... We obviously missed any signs and when she (well me as she couldn't reach) pick up sample product so she could read the box..... a shop assistant/lady came flying over and told us off for not taking note of their no-touch shelf product policy.  

Now no problem with what ever policy companies guidelines to their staff are... Never-the -less given in rushing over and the limited space she came right up to us, that is extremely close in telling us of our mistake (it was in a telling off tone).... So couldn't stop myself asking well what about social distance measures seeing as they are being so careful... I'm not a biologist came the retort.

So she gets us the product my missus wanted, held it up so my missus could read the box to check it was of the type she needed... over to till... had to touch the card reading machine to put card in... she then takes my wifes mobile phone to read the store card details, then hands over the product she has been holding all this time....

My missus to make a point... takes out her anti-bacterial spray and proceeds to spray the item she brought, the credit card machine, the mobile phone plus makes sure I use it on my hands.... she then sprays the door handles before opening etc etc..

I was highly amused... but I must admit at scratching me head on their policy, although I assume its aimed at protecting staff rather than customers...

SPAIN PUTS ENTIRE COUNTRY IN LOCKDOWN CONFINING CITIZENS TO THEIR HOMES EXCEPT FOR THESE 8 REASONS
Officers will be given special powers to make 'checks' on people, goods, vehicles, buildings and establishments while the state of alarm is in effect
SPAIN’S government has decreed a ‘state of alarm’ across the entire country in response to the coronavirus pandemic.
As of today, Saturday, freedom of movement will be severely restricted with citizens required to stay at home for the next 15 days.
All of Spain’s regions and autonomous communities will be put under direct government control, including local police forces.
Officers will be given special powers to make ‘checks’ on people, goods, vehicles, buildings and establishments while the state of alarm is in effect.
The Royal Decree issued today says citizens will only be able to use public roads for the following reasons:
Acquisition of food, pharmaceuticals and basic necessities.
Visits to health centres.
Travel to the workplace to perform work or business-related activities.
Return to the place of habitual residence.
Assistance and care for the elderly, minors, dependents, people with disabilities or especially vulnerable people.
Visits to financial entities.
Due to force or need.
Any other activity of an analogous nature duly justified.
The circulation of private vehicles on public roads will only be allowed to carry out the aforementioned activities, or to refuel at petrol stations.
The state of alarm puts all security forces, including the Catalonian Mossos, the Basque Ertzaintza and the local police under the authority of the Interior Ministry.
the army may be drafted in if necessary.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

21 minutes ago, YCKonstantine said:

The problem is the people that still simply do not care. 

as the impact increases, such as death one would hope they start to take note and care more....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, redjonn said:

as the impact increases, such as death one would hope they start to take note and care more....

Graveyard Johnny will be along soon to tell us not to worry about it as he doesn't know anyone who's died.

• Like 4

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

The data coming out of Japan is interesting.

Whether it’s the testing regime or not,  it doesn’t appear to have the same growth rate as Europe in terms of spread of the virus.

I had assumed that the age demographics of that country meant that they would be hit as hard as any.

Anyone wiser as to what is happening to that island nation?

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

US travel ban extends to the UK from Tuesday.  

Which airline will go bust first?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Whether it’s the testing regime or not,  it doesn’t appear to have the same growth rate as Europe in terms of spread of the virus.

I had assumed that the age demographics of that country meant that they would be hit as hard as any.

Doesn’t seem to much out of Russia either?

2 hours ago, tim2 said:

Graveyard Johnny will be along soon to tell us not to worry about it as he doesn't know anyone who's died.

Perhaps. But, I am in a country that is in lockdown.

I suspect it is an overreaction. For two weeks, it makes no sense that I can see, as we have to keep it up for a year or not bother.

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The main factor is likely to be cultural and social. I suspest they have better hygiene, and will follow instruction rather more.

• Thanks 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Perhaps. But, I am in a country that is in lockdown.

I suspect it is an overreaction. For two weeks, it makes no sense that I can see, as we have to keep it up for a year or not bother.

I said this to my wife, who is currently stuck in the USA and shose return flight is 2 weeks away.

Italy and Spain will show the way, as they have the most draconian measures so far.

18 minutes ago, tim2 said:

I said this to my wife, who is currently stuck in the USA and shose return flight is 2 weeks away.

I'm guessing she is talking to the airline?

Just now, Bedford Roughyed said:

I'm guessing she is talking to the airline?

Well, she's been on hold for 90 minutes with Air New Zealand.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

US travel ban extends to the UK from Tuesday.  

Which airline will go bust first?

Of the big premium brands? BA would be my guess. They’ve not exactly been a stellar performer and their parent company are loaded with debt from the takeovers. 

I don't know about everyone else's neck of the woods, but round here, the panic-buyers are heading for the big supermarkets. I did the main food and booze shopping at Sainsbury's. Certain sections were empty, and they were exactly the ones you'd expect.

Then I went out later to the Co-op and the corner shop for soap, moisturiser, bogroll, Lemsip and other stuff that had been stripped from the supermarket shelves.

• Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)