4 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

So actual gay people can see the lighter side whilst we have the fake moral outrage on here

Shame we don't have more lgbt posters the discussion would be more pleasant 

They have to take a brighter side approach. If they were angry about every homophobe they came across they would never smile and the website would be depressing!

Describing it as fake moral outrage is unfair and untrue. Catalans have brought the game I love and care about, and am associated with through my support for my team etc, into total disrepute.

Edited by Tommygilf
  • Like 1

I got here late, have not read the 24 pages but would like to say the following:

- I disliked Folau probably before any of you, for the simple fact that he turned his back on Rugby League!  Anyone who does this, for any reason, is a traitor in my mind and I have no time for them.

- Seeing how he has been treated though, since his whole twitter fiasco has made me end up almost being on his side now.

- The twitter lynch-mob makes me sick and seem to think they have a monopoly on morality.

- Folau is now caught between a rock and a hard place.  People are complaining that he never apologised.  He could apologise for saying what he said, but the lynch mob would not leave it there.  They would press him about it:  Do you still believe that to be true?  Go on, say you don't believe in what you said.  It will go on forever and it's a lose-lose situation for him now, the damage is done.  So silence is probably still his safest option.

- And lastly, the buzz word at the moment:  'inclusive'.  We are an 'inclusive' sport, I keep hearing.  Can someone please define that word for me!?  Because all the ones preaching 'inclusiveness' seem the most hell-bent on EXCLUDING him for what he said!

The biggest season of SL is upon us.  I hope we can just get on with it and enjoy some world-class rugby league!  And I hope Folau can bring back some of his old magic and just let his footy do the talking.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Tommygilf said:

They have to take a brighter side approach. If they were angry about every homophobe they came across they would never smile and the website would be depressing!

Describing it as fake moral outrage is unfair and untrue.

Ok let's see how long the outrage lasts.

Is every super league player.now going to be asked if he is homophobic as well?

I Guarantee you he isn't the only one that will be 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I have done half a degree on political philosophy if you want this to descend into a quote vs counter-quote fest that will achieve absolutely nothing. 

I'm well aware of the risks of illiberal censorship of free speech being enacted in laws etc and the potential threat that poses to our society. That said, standing up to homophobia is not "becoming a monster". 

I don't mind counter-quotes, and I'm sure no one else will given that this thread is now [checks notes] 24 pages long.

Yes, standing up to homophobia or any other prejudice is always right. Denying someone work because they hold an absurd viewpoint and have not acted against the law in that state? Dogpiling? That's tyranny. That's the essence of the quote.

Folau is a twonk for the claptrap he has spouted. We know it, even if he doesn't.

9 hours ago, Dunbar said:

In what way is his life more pure than ours?

I don't cheat on my wife, or steal or commit crimes or hurt anyone deliberately etc etc.

And as an atheist, it's not that I don't do any of this because I fear being burned in an eternal fire or seek eternal life sitting on a cloud. I don't do them because I am a decent human being who believes in the essential morality of humanity and the ethics of behaving in a moral way.

Who is more moral, the person who is following the teaching of a supreme being seeking reward or fearing punishment or the person who acts morally purely through choice?

Like I said , most of us ; not all of us

1 minute ago, langpark said:

And lastly, the buzz word at the moment:  'inclusive'.  We are an 'inclusive' sport, I keep hearing.  Can someone please define that word for me!?  Because all the ones preaching 'inclusiveness' seem the most hell-bent on EXCLUDING him for what he said!

We're a sport that is inclusive of people that are inclusive. Is that hard to understand?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, langpark said:

I got here late, have not read the 24 pages but would like to say the following:

- I disliked Folau probably before any of you, for the simple fact that he turned his back on Rugby League!  Anyone who does this, for any reason, is a traitor in my mind and I have no time for them.

- Seeing how he has been treated though, since his whole twitter fiasco has made me end up almost being on his side now.

- The twitter lynch-mob makes me sick and seem to think they have a monopoly on morality.

- Folau is now caught between a rock and a hard place.  People are complaining that he never apologised.  He could apologise for saying what he said, but the lynch mob would not leave it there.  They would press him about it:  Do you still believe that to be true?  Go on, say you don't believe in what you said.  It will go on forever and it's a lose-lose situation for him now, the damage is done.  So silence is probably still his safest option.

- And lastly, the buzz word at the moment:  'inclusive'.  We are an 'inclusive' sport, I keep hearing.  Can someone please define that word for me!?  Because all the ones preaching 'inclusiveness' seem the most hell-bent on EXCLUDING him for what he said!

The biggest season of SL is upon us.  I hope we can just get on with it and enjoy some world-class rugby league!  And I hope Folau can bring back some of his old magic and just let his footy do the talking.

Yes I hate folau for what he's done to league. 

I suspect part of the reason the nrl didn't allow him.back is that and his arrogance as well 

Edited by aj1908
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

I don't mind counter-quotes, and I'm sure no one else will given that this thread is now [checks notes] 24 pages long.

Yes, standing up to homophobia or any other prejudice is always right. Denying someone work because they hold an absurd viewpoint and have not acted against the law in that state? Dogpiling? That's tyranny. That's the essence of the quote.

Folau is a twonk for the claptrap he has spouted. We know it, even if he doesn't.

Thats the thing even folau supporters on here think he's an idiot and probably homophobic 

People are missing the point 

2 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

He is the only one that has used his profile and status to express those views with the explicit intention of spreading them through preaching. None of the rest have - our Polynesian players for example might sympathise with what he's said, it certainly was also the case in RU, but they haven't been stupid enough to come out and say it.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

We're a sport that is inclusive of people that are inclusive. Is that hard to understand?

so, perhaps 'selectively inclusive' would be a more appropriate term?

• Like 2

He is the only one that has used his profile and status to express those views with the explicit intention of spreading them through preaching. None of the rest have - our Polynesian players for example might sympathise with what he's said, it certainly was also the case in RU, but they haven't been stupid enough to come out and say it.

Yes he has been stupid.

He did howwver receive a lot of support from fellow islander team mates.  

Edited by aj1908

16 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Put it this way I don't see this getting them any more fans out of this, both directly or external. 

Again, it's the waiting game to see how it goes.  Just to repeat a point I made earlier in this thread, it does seem a bit odd that a player who was put in prison for dangerous driving and assaulting a police officer was allowed back in the game and didn't get all this publicity about it nor appeared to get too much grief from the fans ... so why do it for a player just for saying something ? It does seem to me that the subject is just the current topic for journalists to write about and then for some people to just let it be seen they are one of those complaining about the person involved ... perhaps despite what they actually might think about it.

So who deserves a public's backing ... a convict or a person saying something which some might disagree with ?  Maybe the last time the public were asked to decide was when Barabbas was released by Pontius Pilot !

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

"In America the majority raises formidable barriers around the liberty of opinion; within these barriers an author may write what he pleases, but woe to him if he goes beyond them." Alexis de Tocqueville

That's how democracy works. It has an opinion and enforces it. Dogpiling is its most brutish appearance and is undesirable but is the last resort of a majority opinion to assert itself when the laws and common principles cannot.

5 minutes ago, langpark said:

so, perhaps 'selectively inclusive' would be a more appropriate term?

No, inclusive of inclusivity - not blindly inclusive of prejudice and prejudicial people who can't keep those prejudices to themselves, as that would damage the inclusivity of the whole. Keeping your views that are harmful to others to yourself is making yourself more inclusive to the whole. 

"Not stupidly inclusive so that the point of being inclusive is lost" would perhaps be better then?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Again, it's the waiting game to see how it goes.  Just to repeat a point I made earlier in this thread, it does seem a bit odd that a player who was put in prison for dangerous driving and assaulting a police officer was allowed back in the game and didn't get all this publicity about it nor appeared to get too much grief from the fans ... so why do it for a player just for saying something ? It does seem to me that the subject is just the current topic for journalists to write about and then for some people to just let it be seen they are one of those complaining about the person involved ... perhaps despite what they actually might think about it.

So who deserves a public's backing ... a convict or a person saying something which some might disagree with ?  Maybe the last time the public were asked to decide was when Barabbas was released by Pontius Pilot !

The public and the press are notoriously fickle. There is also the element here that most players signed by RL clubs in the northern hemisphere aren't very well known up here, so can go under the radar somewhat. Folau clearly does not fit that category.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Yes he has been stupid.

He did howwver receive a lot of support from fellow islander team mates.  

Over here we had Bristol fans protesting Billy Vunipola (Saracens player) supporting Folau on social media. Other players were told by their clubs to steer well away from the issue altogether.

Over here we had Bristol fans protesting Billy Vunipola (Saracens player) supporting Folau on social media. Other players were told by their clubs to steer well away from the issue altogether.

Loads of wallabies supported him

It sounds like lots of other players over there did too 

He's not the only religious hardliner 

See the point I'm making 

He's just stupid for being so open about it 

1 minute ago, aj1908 said:

Loads of wallabies supported him

It sounds like lots of other players over there did too 

He's not the only religious hardliner 

See the point I'm making 

He's just stupid for being so open about it 

Exactly.

But he has been so open about it and should face the consequences.

I welcome Israel to super league 

I also welcome all the fans to abuse the **** out of him and all opposing players to smash the **** out of him everytime he hits it up...

Edited by roughyedspud

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Falua should be given  a second chance ,he physicaly has not harmed anyone.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, frank said:

Falua should be given  a second chance ,he physicaly has not harmed anyone.

Especially, as I said, when they allowed back someone who was put in prison for assaulting a police officer.

Edited by RL does what Sky says

39 minutes ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

He has stated his beliefs , some of which may not fit in certain sections of society ; you don’t speak for me when you finish sentences with “we know it”

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

I welcome Israel to super league 

I also welcome all the fans to abuse the **** out of him and all opposing players to smash the **** out of him everytime he hits it up...

Yes he will.be booed 

This adds to the drama of.the league 

41 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

And, by way of contrast, if every SL player was melded up to some sort of infallible mind scan as to whether they had had thoughts of a same sex nature.

I guarantee they wouldn't be alone.

• Like 1