Israel Folau

fevnut

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Fake apology or not, that is your opinion to have. All it reinforces to me is that Folau isn't very bright or savvy.

Folau appearing on that magazine cover and stating he believes in inclusiveness is much better than a fake apology to get rid of the attention. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Your club employed a player who smeared peanut butter on his todger and then filmed his dog licking it off , the point is there's all sorts of strange people out there with some very strange ideas about what's right or wrong , just where do you draw the line ? 

For some bizarre reason I fancy peanut butter on toast now ! Subliminal marketing or underlying deviant I’m not sure

Just now, Tommygilf said:

I think should apologise and take back what he said, remove the social media posts and then find a job in Japanese RU or wherever. He'll be gone from our comp by the end of October to a payday in French or Japanese RU and we'll have been left with all the bad press and our reputation for being a friendly space tarnished.

Yes.

I totally agree with freedom of speech and being able to express your views, however distasteful. But ultimately, RL is going to carry the can here. The truth doesn’t necessarily matter, it will *look* like it welcomed someone with his views.

Whatever the truth of his comments and what he did or didn’t mean, mud sticks unfortunately and RL is not in a position to weather much bad publicity.

Just now, GUBRATS said:

So you can beat somebody up if your a nobody and that's fine , but not if your a little bit famous ? , I'm impressed 

I don't think its right but they're not damaging the sport in anything like the same way this will for 1 year of Folau playing here.

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

Yes.

I totally agree with freedom of speech and being able to express your views, however distasteful. But ultimately, RL is going to carry the can here. The truth doesn’t necessarily matter, it will *look* like it welcomed someone with his views.

Whatever the truth of his comments and what he did or didn’t mean, mud sticks unfortunately and RL is not in a position to weather much bad publicity.

No one really cares about RL and it will soon be forgotten I feel

2 minutes ago, Bert1 said:

Folau appearing on that magazine cover and stating he believes in inclusiveness is much better than a fake apology to get rid of the attention. 

Well judging by the media reaction I'd get someone else in to do his PR then.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

I don't think its right but they're not damaging the sport in anything like the same way this will for 1 year of Folau playing here.

And it will be far far worse if Folau is one of the best players in the league - which he will be. 

2 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Yes.

100% this. Catalans did not have to make this rod for the back of the sport. 

Just now, iangidds said:

No one really cares about RL and it will soon be forgotten I feel

I think you’re wrong. Many people, who don’t know the first thing about it, do sort of admire RL. They probably won’t know about Ian Roberts being accepted all those years ago. But chances are they’ll hear about this. 
I wouldn’t want anyone, but anyone, to feel they couldn’t go to a RL game and feel welcome. Some people might now, that’s definitely not a good thing.

40 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

And apologised, tried to make amends and moved on. 

Folau isn't on step 1 yet.

You must have missed my quotes from Folau earlier, Tommy. Folau has stated he does not hate and/or have any problem with gay people. He quoted religious scripts which is important and completely different to the likes of Fury and Hardaker who used their own bigoted/homophobic views to articulate their thoughts. I'm surprised you're happy to dismiss them more readily than you are Folau because they said the word sorry? 

9 minutes ago, BadlyOverdrawnBoy said:

In his rant he also included atheists and drunks - so probably the majority of users of this forum are damned to hell.

In that case, my personal Hell would be only John Smiths smoothflow to drink and only Peter Tatchell to talk to. Still, at least it would be warmer  in there than out here on the Pennines.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Just now, hunsletgreenandgold said:

You must have missed my quotes from Folau earlier, Tommy. Folau has stated he does not hate and/or have any problem with gay people. He quoted religious scripts which is important and completely different to the likes of Fury and Hardaker who used their own bigoted/homophobic views to articulate their thoughts. I'm surprised you're happy to dismiss them more readily than you are Folau because they said the word sorry? 

I know it's a digression but I thought Fury also quoted scripture to back up his bigotry? I seem to remember that being his excuse.

No idea whether Hardaker's even read a book to be able to quote from one.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

They didn't just say sorry though did they.

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I know it's a digression but I thought Fury also quoted scripture to back up his bigotry? I seem to remember that being his excuse.

No idea whether Hardaker's even read a book to be able to quote from one.

That was part of it you're right - but also went on an anti-Semitic rant about 'all the Jews own the banks....' 

1 minute ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

That was part of it you're right - but also went on an anti-Semitic rant about 'all the Jews own the banks....' 

My opinion of him is broadly unchanged. Don't really like him and thought the BBC approach around SPOTY was the right one. This supposed rehabilitation of him as a 'character' I can do without. Plenty of people box, plenty of people have tough backgrounds and plenty of people manage not to, as you say, go full Rothschild conspiracy with added extras.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

"European Council President Donald Tusk Wednesday said there is a "special place in hell" for the people who pushed Brexit without a plan.

Tusk was speaking after talks in Brussels with Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar."

Varadkar's gay, and an ardent remainer.

So it looks like the rainbow folk are safe after all.

?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Archived