Jump to content

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

I'm not a bible expert, but can I check that this is a quote:

INSTAGRAM-GETTY-israel-folau-homophobic-

I find it amusing as an atheist he thinks I'm going to hell. His views on homosexuals however are abhorrent. I feel he will help to portray our sport as a whole in a positive light with the inevitable protests. Catalans as a club however should be ashamed.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My last comment on the subject.I believe in free speech,  but  would not( only under certain conditions) insult anyone.Here's the hub.Falou did not insult anyone personally.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, frank said:

My last comment on the subject.I believe in free speech,  but  would not( only under certain conditions) insult anyone.Here's the hub.Falou did not insult anyone personally.

I suspect a young gay Aussie Rugby Union fan may have felt pretty insulted and felt it was pretty personal when one of his heroes told him he was going to hell. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love that anyone would tell an atheist they're going to hell. Sorry I've picked this bit out but it's brilliant. The man is a moron. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I suspect a young gay Aussie Rugby Union fan may have felt pretty insulted and felt it was pretty personal when one of his heroes told him he was going to hell. 

 

About 10% of men are said to be gay (though I suspect many are repressed). I do not fall in that percentage but fortunately, Folau mentioned many other qualifying criteria who can go to hell as well so most of the other 90% could also feel insulted if they felt it necessary! 

Drunk - guilty [hic]
Liar - not guilty I never lie. 
Adulterer - see above.
Fornicator - much guiltier when I was younger. 
Thief - I confess I pinched a few sherbert dips from the tuck shop. 
Athiest - guilty.
Idolator - guilty.  I've read most of Dawkins work! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, RMBJ said:

I wasn't aware of the Stewart incident so just looked it up. Saying it is not in the same ballpark as Folau is not really even close to describing how different they are. Stewart  having to resign for quoting Shakespear is just another example of Twitter being the unregulated madhouse it undoubtedly is. 

Stewart called a black person an ape. Said black person called him asked him to consider that that may not be appropriate and he refused. (Also, said black person said a private apology would be enough.)

If you think that it being a quite from Shakespeare makes it okay then I'll be on hand for when you start calling any Jewish people you know "Shylock".


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Stewart called a black person an ape. Said black person called him asked him to consider that that may not be appropriate and he refused. (Also, said black person said a private apology would be enough.)

If you think that it being a quite from Shakespeare makes it okay then I'll be on hand for when you start calling any Jewish people you know "Shylock".

The amount of people suggesting that they would never even think that ape to a black person could be seen as racist is always interesting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dave T said:

The amount of people suggesting that they would never even think that ape to a black person could be seen as racist is always interesting. 

He's the racist for taking a comment he'll have heard multiple times over in his life *as racist because it was said by racists* as racist this time because he should have realised the posh man was quoting Shakespeare. Quoting things makes it okay.


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Stewart called a black person an ape. Said black person called him asked him to consider that that may not be appropriate and he refused. (Also, said black person said a private apology would be enough.)

If you think that it being a quite from Shakespeare makes it okay then I'll be on hand for when you start calling any Jewish people you know "Shylock".

 A 40 year career over because of this Tweet? 

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is my last word on the subject.  This is my thought process on the whole matter.

1. I do not believe that what Folau said was hate speech or indeed homophobic.  I think that he sincerely believes that he is helping gay people (among others) to see the error of their ways and find eternal salvation through redemption.

2. He has every right to post what he did on social media and everyone will decide if he is correct or not.

3. How he expressed his beliefs is the catalyst for the fuss.  If he had said "as a Christian, I believe that homosexuality if wrong in the eyes of the Lord and so I am compelled by my faith to ask homosexuals to repent" it would have been a hell (sic) of a lot better than "HELL AWAITS...".

4. One of the fundamentals tenants of the teachings of the church (in its most literal interpretation) is that homosexuality if sinful, wrong and unnatural.  This is at odds with a sport that welcomes all people and we do not brand parts of our community as unnatural and so Folau (especially in the way he expressed it) has shown intolerance to a part of our community.

5. Intolerance has no part in our sport which has a history of inclusiveness and while his intentions were not pure hatred they were far from appropriate.

6. If he had posted these messages while employed by our game (multiple times as he did while employed by the ARU), I would support excluding him if his contract included a clause that insisted on showing respect and tolerance.

7. We had a choice as a sport to bring him into or not.  I would have preferred the latter.

8. And yes, there are plenty of players who have done disgraceful and illegal things and I have already stated that I believe that a family sport like ours should take a harder line on the behaviour we expect from our players and repeat offenders should be excluded from our sport.  Yes, people make mistakes and it is appropriate to give people a second chance.  But when they do not take that second (or third) chance they only have themselves to blame.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dave T said:

And that is an individual's prerogative, but if the defence is going to be that he was just purely quoting the bible, and then it turns out that the bible doesn't mention gays, or hell, it sort of blows that defence away and starts to raise more questions, doesn't it?

Unsurprisingly, the meaning of verses in the bible is open to interpretation and few of us are fluent in ancient Greek and Aramaic. Leviticus is the Old Testament book often quoted by Christian opponents of homosexuality. St Paul's epistles contain quite a few references to sexual morality and marriage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, RMBJ said:

 A 40 year career over because of this Tweet? 

 

spacer.png

The person he directed it at has said an apology would be enough. So you’ll need to take it up with his employers.


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He has the right to post whatever he likes, as long as as he understands there are possible consequences.

I think he comes from a backward looking environment which is common amongst many Pacific island nations and territories.


Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gingerjon said:

The person he directed it at has said an apology would be enough. So you’ll need to take it up with his employers.

 

I've not followed this but just a cursory read revealed that the person asking for an apology appears to be permanently insulted by 'white privilege'. He's also politically motivated as a Councillor with the Lib Dems. Looks like he hooked a bigger fish than he's used to. 

Twitter really is a cesspit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RMBJ said:

 

I've not followed this but just a cursory read revealed that the person asking for an apology appears to be permanently insulted by 'white privilege'. He's also politically motivated as a Councillor with the Lib Dems. Looks like he hooked a bigger fish than he's used to. 

Twitter really is a cesspit. 

Do Lib Dems not accept apologies from newsreaders?


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Do Lib Dems not accept apologies from newsreaders?

Why on earth do you think an apology is necessary? 

I can see from this thread that you specifically said 'Stewart called him an ape'. 

This is how Twitter works. The lie spreads faster than the truth. Much much faster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, RMBJ said:

Why on earth do you think an apology is necessary? 

I can see from this thread that you specifically said 'Stewart called him an ape'. 

This is how Twitter works. The lie spreads faster than the truth. Much much faster. 

You can bury the ape in quote from Shakespeare all you want, it’s still there.

Perhaps the well paid autocue reader might have wanted to think about what words meant before trying to appear clever.


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

You can bury the ape in quote from Shakespeare all you want, it’s still there.

Perhaps the well paid autocue reader might have wanted to think about what words meant before trying to appear clever.

 

Don't ever read the classics. Even Harry Potter might offend you to be honest (not enough diversity). 

Ridiculous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, RMBJ said:

Why on earth do you think an apology is necessary? 

I can see from this thread that you specifically said 'Stewart called him an ape'. 

This is how Twitter works. The lie spreads faster than the truth. Much much faster. 

How can a lie spread faster than the trutch when a lie is a distortion of the truth?


Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RMBJ said:

 

Don't ever read the classics. Even Harry Potter might offend you to be honest (not enough diversity). 

Ridiculous. 

That’s an answer to a post I didn’t write.


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

How can a lie spread faster than the trutch when a lie is a distortion of the truth?

You're not familiar with social media I see!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RMBJ said:

You're not familiar with social media I see!

You're not familiar with the truth.

Go back to your unicorns,  you obviously feel safer there.


Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

You're not familiar with the truth.

Go back to your unicorns,  you obviously feel safer there.

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."  - Winston Churchill

Just because you're not very well read, don't assume others are as poorly educated.

I'll keep it civilised if you do. Your choice. 

Edited by RMBJ
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...