Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Les Tonks Sidestep

McDermott oblivious to the risk posed by head injuries?

Recommended Posts

So now he’s a doctor.. Concussion is a difficult one, very hard to diagnose.  
What may not be apparent in a few minutes may well be apparent in a couple days. 
It’s a medical process, not just simply a procedure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with him that just because you have been hit in the head and hurt it doesn't necessarily mean you have concussion. That's the whole reason why we have these protocols, so that we can determine who has been concussed and who has just simply taken a painful blow. And then to protect the ones that do have concussion. 

Leave it to the doctors who know best, I'm not sure why he feels the need to comment tbh. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MZH said:

I agree with him that just because you have been hit in the head and hurt it doesn't necessarily mean you have concussion. That's the whole reason why we have these protocols, so that we can determine who has been concussed and who has just simply taken a painful blow. And then to protect the ones that do have concussion. 

Leave it to the doctors who know best, I'm not sure why he feels the need to comment tbh. 

This.

I don't understand why he is bringing up the Wilkin situation unless he failed the concussion protocols? You don't fail them by just staying down on the field for a few extra seconds, isn't there a whole procedure they go through once they're back in the changing rooms?

I like McDermott, but these are stupid comments to make.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Is it not if you get knocked out it's game over and a week off, or is that in Oz? 

It’s dependent on reoccurrence of    symptoms within 24/48 hours depending on age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Click said:

This.

I don't understand why he is bringing up the Wilkin situation unless he failed the concussion protocols? You don't fail them by just staying down on the field for a few extra seconds, isn't there a whole procedure they go through once they're back in the changing rooms?

I like McDermott, but these are stupid comments to make.

I don't - I don't like him at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why rules and regulation is needed, coaches clearly can't be trusted to look after their players. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is quoted as saying... Its a procedure we need... so he supports rules and regulation...

he ain't saying not to have a concussion procedure...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bottom line is he's terrified he could lose a couple of players in a single game to concusion , which could cause him to be unable to put out a full squad , did he ever complain when he had 40 players available at Leeds ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

He isn’t quite saying that.

 

Yes he is. Granted he isn't saying we don't need procedures but he then goes on to say that he thinks the current ones, based on expert medical advice, are wrong and should be far more lax.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, barnyia said:

Is it not if you get knocked out it's game over and a week off, or is that in Oz? 

A concussion only results in a KO about 10% of times, the issue is people not getting a KO and trying to play on which not only makes you susceptible to 2nd impact syndrome but also can make you less physically co-ordinated increasing the likelihood of other injuries

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Yes he is. Granted he isn't saying we don't need procedures but he then goes on to say that he thinks the current ones, based on expert medical advice, are wrong and should be far more lax.

He wants the time period shortening to less than a week 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, redjonn said:

He is quoted as saying... Its a procedure we need... so he supports rules and regulation...

he ain't saying not to have a concussion procedure...

It is an issue to come out with a challenge to this when you have a well-documented issue with the size of your squad. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SSoutherner said:

A concussion only results in a KO about 10% of times, the issue is people not getting a KO and trying to play on which not only makes you susceptible to 2nd impact syndrome but also can make you less physically co-ordinated increasing the likelihood of other injuries

Stevie Ward is a recent example, he got a bad knock in the face and a nasty cut against Hull, he came back on to play but has failed the concussion protocols for the last 2 weeks and is quite rightly unable to play until he passes them, our game is brutal and the players need protection as most of them would play regardless of the protocols if it was their choice.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It is an issue to come out with a challenge to this when you have a well-documented issue with the size of your squad. 

Don't know the context as to why he should say what he said... was it an interview, question answer or just an out the blue statement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Yes he is. Granted he isn't saying we don't need procedures but he then goes on to say that he thinks the current ones, based on expert medical advice, are wrong and should be far more lax.

He isn’t.  Redjohn has explained clearly enough.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

He isn’t.  Redjohn has explained clearly enough.

 

Yes, he's saying we need a concussion process; just one that favours his current situation and not necessarily the one we have in place right now that has been put together by qualified medical professionals. We all understand him perfectly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Stevie Ward is a recent example, he got a bad knock in the face and a nasty cut against Hull, he came back on to play but has failed the concussion protocols for the last 2 weeks and is quite rightly unable to play until he passes them, our game is brutal and the players need protection as most of them would play regardless of the protocols if it was their choice.

And this is the root of the matter, recognition by the coach, based on expert (Doctors) advice and committing to making the right choice for the player.  We can look at Wards example and could quite easily comment that ‘he shouldn’t have come back on’.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...