Sign in to follow this  
GUBRATS

Challenge Cup Fifth Round Draw

18 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Fancy Leigh to beat KR as the latter have enough on their plate.

Which metropolis will Toronto vs Huddersfield be played in?

Huddersfield

2 hours ago, Wildcat said:

Some decent ties there, how many are scheduled to be shown on TV?

Probably just the one, probably Fev V Hunslet, as the BBC only consider history when showing games, although on paper that might be a cracking match, PLEASE AUNTIE BEEB, GO TO WIDNES!

• Like 1

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

In football that works but in RL? If WWR drew St Helens for example it could be the biggest farce in sporting history. 

Yes but at least the lower club might get some financial benefit.

A straight knockout event at least gives the lower clubs a chance if the big boys are drawn against each other. A bigger sporting farce is to put the top 8 into the final 16 and then have the same few teams getting through to the final every year.

• Like 1

The draw for the next round will be two pots, one with last seasons top 8, and another for the rest to ensure no two top 8 clubs play each other

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Yes but at least the lower club might get some financial benefit.

A straight knockout event at least gives the lower clubs a chance if the big boys are drawn against each other. A bigger sporting farce is to put the top 8 into the final 16 and then have the same few teams getting through to the final every year.

I know exactly what you mean and agree from the financial point of view, but physically it wouldn’t be appropriate for an NCL club or the likes of WWR to play Saints or Wigan, imho. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I know exactly what you mean and agree from the financial point of view, but physically it wouldn’t be appropriate for an NCL club or the likes of WWR to play Saints or Wigan, imho. 

Oldham did quite well v KR in 2016.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

The draw for the next round will be two pots, one with last seasons top 8, and another for the rest to ensure no two top 8 clubs play each other

If the teams are being drawn out separately then any idea of how will they decide which team is at home ?

Good and bad with that way of doing the draw ... good that the lower clubs might get some finances but bad in that the chances are that all the top 8 will go through and won't knock each other out.

Edited by RL does what Sky says

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

True but perhaps if the top clubs at least entered the competition a round or two earlier than at present might be better. The very lowest clubs will then have either been already knocked out or, if they have won in the early rounds, will have then deserved a place against the big boys.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Where have you seen this? This has never been the case in the past. 

4 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

True but perhaps if the top clubs at least entered the competition a round or two earlier than at present might be better. The very lowest clubs will then have either been already knocked out or, if they have won in the early rounds, will have then deserved a place against the big boys.

Remember in, say, the FA cup this is what happens too. The top clubs only come in once hundreds of of non-league and even pro L1 and L2 teams have whittled themselves down from around 400 teams to 20. And football has greater strength in depth, and fewer safety issues. 

I think the Challenge Cup broadly has it right, the only change I'd like to see is all 12 SL clubs coming in in the last 32. 

I think people are mistaken if they think the current draw structure is about protecting SL clubs - I don't think they care about that, it's simply about reducing the number of games the top clubs have to play. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Remember in, say, the FA cup this is what happens too. The top clubs only come in once hundreds of of non-league and even pro L1 and L2 teams have whittled themselves down from around 400 teams to 20. And football has greater strength in depth, and fewer safety issues. 

I think the Challenge Cup broadly has it right, the only change I'd like to see is all 12 SL clubs coming in in the last 32. 

I think people are mistaken if they think the current draw structure is about protecting SL clubs - I don't think they care about that, it's simply about reducing the number of games the top clubs have to play. 

By reducing the number of games they have to play is just that, protecting them. Why should they have to play less rounds than the other League Clubs? At least in the FA Cup, the top two division Clubs have to win four rounds to reach the Semi Final, not like the top SL Clubs who only have to win two rounds. 

3 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

By reducing the number of games they have to play is just that, protecting them. Why should they have to play less rounds than the other League Clubs? At least in the FA Cup, the top two division Clubs have to win four rounds to reach the Semi Final, not like the top SL Clubs who only have to win two rounds. 

The top two division clubs don’t start in round one in the FA Cup, something you said should happen in Rugby League. 

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The top two division clubs don’t start in round one in the FA Cup, something you said should happen in Rugby League. 

The SL Clubs should come in at the last 32, the Cup rounds would start before that as you know. The bottom line is the tournament has been made even more predictable than ever due to the rules of entry favouring the big Clubs, one of the reasons the attendance for the Final has gone down.

• Like 2

The same people moaning about the cup structure now are the same people who moaned when the first few rounds were just Super League teams whacking Championship 1 and amateur sides 15 years ago. In fact, they are the same people who always moan.

• Like 5

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

42 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

What I mean is, I don't think the SL Clubs really care if they win the cup or not, they just don't want to have to commit to too many games, in an already overlong season. 

(yes, which they themselves put in place!)

40 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

No, I said they should come in all together in round 4/5.

7 hours ago, SL17 said:

Oldham did quite well v KR in 2016.

Really?

I don't recall that, how did the game go?

• Haha 1

RADFORD OUT!

11 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Probably just the one, probably Fev V Hunslet, as the BBC only consider history when showing games, although on paper that might be a cracking match, PLEASE AUNTIE BEEB, GO TO WIDNES!

For anyone who watched the games on screen on Sunday they will have been informed that this the 5th round will be aired by both BBC red button and Our League, The BBC do not start National Terrestrial coverage until round 6, so two games will be on again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

The same people moaning about the cup structure now are the same people who moaned when the first few rounds were just Super League teams whacking Championship 1 and amateur sides 15 years ago. In fact, they are the same people who always moan.

Bingo.

In fact, here's the Challenge Cup the first season I attended a game in it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_Challenge_Cup

Just look at all the amateur teams involved. I make it a whole … 1.

I was at the Salford v Springfield game. Good one that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

20 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Thanks for that.

Might ask you again later.

• Haha 3

RADFORD OUT!

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Bingo.

In fact, here's the Challenge Cup the first season I attended a game in it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_Challenge_Cup

Just look at all the amateur teams involved. I make it a whole … 1.

I was at the Salford v Springfield game. Good one that.

Wow the Halifax Hull semi final must have been an all time classic 😂

In another note the only thing I would change is that all the Superleague clubs come in at round 5 giving a bigger chance of a pay day for clubs that have made it through