Devon Ram

Coronavirus: Impact on Rugby League (Merged Threads)

Stick to the impact on Rugby League in this thread, please.

And cut out the personal stuff. Not necessary.

Thanks all.

As I understand it, many sports are planning to survive by borrowing against their future TV income. This may not be possible for SL with only one year left on the Sky deal. CVC could step in to the rescue, but have complete control over the game. Worrying times for all.

20 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Stick to the impact on Rugby League in this thread, please.

And cut out the personal stuff. Not necessary.

Thanks all.

The impact is the season is finished. 

23 minutes ago, ojx said:

As I understand it, many sports are planning to survive by borrowing against their future TV income. This may not be possible for SL with only one year left on the Sky deal. CVC could step in to the rescue, but have complete control over the game. Worrying times for all.

How many will be cancelling their Sky Sports subscriptions I wonder??

2 minutes ago, Trevorkfevfan said:

How many will be cancelling their Sky Sports subscriptions I wonder??

That’s an impact on Sky! Not RL.

Yes, but if clubs are considering borrowing against Sky income, surely this will drastically shrink?

6 minutes ago, Trevorkfevfan said:

Yes, but if clubs are considering borrowing against Sky income, surely this will drastically shrink?

Future Sky (or other TV)  income. Not current.

6 minutes ago, Trevorkfevfan said:

I wouldn’t have thought that’s a wise thing to do at present. Share prices will plunge as with most businesses you have an obligation to your shareholders.

Not good all round.

8 hours ago, Gates1 said:

Antiviral drugs which are effective against it may arrive a bit sooner than a vaccine.  But I'd doubt either are round the corner tbh.

Drugs are at least as far away as a vaccine unless huge (extremely risky) shortcuts are taken in testing. 

Given TWP's statement I'd say it's the beginning of the end of this season.

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Drugs are at least as far away as a vaccine unless huge (extremely risky) shortcuts are taken in testing. 

The beginning of the end of the season was on Wednesday night being the start of this weekends games 

download.jpeg.12449db2b97fef40d700fba19457f08c.jpeg

Just watching the BBC news channel who announced that 4 TWP player's are self isolating, what the announcer failed to say was that TWP are stationed in England not doing so it gives the impression to those watching the newscast who don't know that would consider it is happening in Canada, that is good way to start rumours.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Sad 1

Will all clubs have to suspend all staff wages on the basis of they have no income? Isn't this the only way they will survive. Players effectively take sickness benefit? 

No gates, no sky income, no existance. No players. All because of a small number of sportsmen dotted around the world, the country, possibly having a virus. The official medical advice was that large gatherings were of marginal effect.

Based on what I saw in the empty shelves at Sainsbury's, the great unwashed have determined that pasta will protect them from the plague.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't see how they can stop paying wages without breaking their contractual agreements, which in a way is worrying even for the big clubs if we have to go a long time without gate receipts (this obviously happens if games are played behind closed doors).

40 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Just watching the BBC news channel who announced that 4 TWP player's are self isolating, what the announcer failed to say was that TWP are stationed in England not doing so it gives the impression to those watching the newscast who don't know that would consider it is happening in Canada, that is good way to start rumours.

What difference does that make at this stage? Canada has cases too. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Horse racing only exists to satisfy gambling , it doesn't need crowds 

Wrong - the racecourses absolutely need crowds in the longer term.  As I said, however, due to the gambling connection we do have a little more wriggle room than sports like Rugby League. 

13 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

What difference does that make at this stage? Canada has cases too. 

Come on, be fair. It is an opportunity to have a go at Toronto after all.

I mean, whenever anyone hears about Chelsea or Man City players, you immediately think they come from those places. ?

• Like 1

If some clubs feel that they might have difficulty making ends met financially or even might not survive then maybe they might have to "cut their cloth" accordingly and not pay out as much in wages ... and (for some Super League clubs) even go back to being semi-professional.

If my team (Oldham) decided to continue but had to play at a lower level (even in the amateur league) due to financial constraints and not being able to afford better players then would I still support them .... Of course I would !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Depends on the success of existing antiviral drugs been tested against it.

Probably.  Only way forward I can see is a switch is made to play behind closed doors but ask sky to broadcast all games and pay broadcast fees to clubs (stagger them daily).  Players to be tested frequently.  

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

Why would we expect that the TV interest in that semi pro comp is any greater than it is right now?

They can keep 'cutting their cloth' but they will likely end up with a crappy rag no-one wants 

I never mentioned tv. Maybe the tv companies might not want to cover it and, if not, then clubs would have to "cut their cloth" accordingly. If the sport as a whole - and the clubs in particular - hasn't got the money to afford paying out big wages then it might have to downsize.

The sport would still exist although clubs might not have money enough to pay big wages. As I said before, even if my team played at the lowest level then I would still support them.

3 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

I never mentioned tv. Maybe the tv companies might not want to cover it and, if not, then clubs would have to "cut their cloth" accordingly. If the sport as a whole - and the clubs in particular - hasn't got the money to afford paying out big wages then it might have to downsize.

The sport would still exist although clubs might not have money enough to pay big wages. As I said before, even if my team played at the lowest level then I would still support them.

Wait until people start to demand refunds from Sky Sports for failing to deliver promised (contracted?) services. Sports clubs in general who are dependent upon broadcasters' money for survival would likely cease to pay their players. This problem has a very long way to run and it will snowball.

Edited by Blind side johnny

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.