Jump to content
Devon Ram

Coronavirus: Impact on Rugby League (Merged Threads)

Recommended Posts

We've come through 2 World Wars, many Foot and Mouth, Spanish Flu, SARS, & EBOLA, Rugby League is a survivors  game, we'll  still be here when soccer gives up, because we will always survive in 6 months.

  • Confused 2

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Eamonn McManus is saying that RL "may go out of existence" .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/51905897

No it won't ... Rugby League will always be played !

OK maybe not at fully professional level (which is all McManus is really bothered about) but the game will always be played and supported by those who want to do so.

Following on from the above ....

There has just been a report on the BBC's North-West Tonight programme about the problems RL teams might have to endure and repeated McManus's comment. They said that RL clubs rely on gate receipts to survive and without such income many might go to the wall.

Again - ridiculous.  Yes those clubs might not then have enough money to pay the same wages as they do presently and so they might have to cut back. If they then can't afford any players then it's "welcome to real world" where most people would like to buy many things they can't afford but are restricted by their income.

Therefore clubs might still survive but not playing at the same level. .... and would those like McManus then still be as passionate about them ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other than the Premier League, NBA and NFL,  all professional sports could be decimated by this, across Europe and the world too. They (and rugby league) will all be back, just in a different form. If some clubs have to go semi pro so what, they’ll all still be there playing for their fans to go and watch, and over time things will get back to normal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

james graham has come out and said players including himslf should take pay cuts for the good of the game, I wonder if dollar bill Williams will echo that sentiment?


the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

james graham has come out and said players including himslf should take pay cuts for the good of the game, I wonder if dollar bill Williams will echo that sentiment?

The problem is that it might be OK for James Graham, who has had a good career and been pretty well paid - but many of the 'average joe' type players are paid very modestly.

With mortgages and other financial commitments to meet, I suspect many players can't really afford to take pay cuts even if they wanted to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, paulwalker71 said:

The problem is that it might be OK for James Graham, who has had a good career and been pretty well paid - but many of the 'average joe' type players are paid very modestly.

With mortgages and other financial commitments to meet, I suspect many players can't really afford to take pay cuts even if they wanted to

think he was only talking about players like him self and other stars with lesser paid players in mind

  • Like 1

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Following on from the above ....

There has just been a report on the BBC's North-West Tonight programme about the problems RL teams might have to endure and repeated McManus's comment. They said that RL clubs rely on gate receipts to survive and without such income many might go to the wall.

Again - ridiculous.  Yes those clubs might not then have enough money to pay the same wages as they do presently and so they might have to cut back. If they then can't afford any players then it's "welcome to real world" where most people would like to buy many things they can't afford but are restricted by their income.

Therefore clubs might still survive but not playing at the same level. .... and would those like McManus then still be as passionate about them ?

What on earth are you talking about? The clubs have signed contracts with players based on their projected income. TV money is part of that income (it's not somehow illigitimate just because you have some weird hobby horse about it).

They could not have foreseen that almost all their income streams would dry up overnight, most of them were living in the real world but no worst case scenario planning could have prepared them for the current situation.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, M j M said:

What on earth are you talking about? The clubs have signed contracts with players based on their projected income. TV money is part of that income (it's not somehow illigitimate just because you have some weird hobby horse about it).

They could not have foreseen that almost all their income streams would dry up overnight, most of them were living in the real world but no worst case scenario planning could have prepared them for the current situation.

And why don't you read what is written instead of reading "into" it ?

When did I say this was to happen NOW ?

This is what I wrote ....

" ....those clubs might not then have enough money to pay the same wages as they do presently and so they might have to cut back. If they then can't afford any players ...."

ie "THEN" and "AS THEY DO PRESENTLY"  (ie  IN THE FUTURE !!!!!!!!!!!!)

And just when did I mention tv money ?  I clearly mentioned gate receipts which is what was talked about in the tv report.

Edited by RL does what Sky says

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

The problem is that it might be OK for James Graham, who has had a good career and been pretty well paid - but many of the 'average joe' type players are paid very modestly.

With mortgages and other financial commitments to meet, I suspect many players can't really afford to take pay cuts even if they wanted to

Players can’t have it both ways. If they negotiate a revenue sharing model then that surely must come with the chance of lower salaries.

Perhaps those players struggling with mortgages can approach player charities to assist in the short term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just thinking that one sad thing of all this is that after everything RL's had to  put up with it may be the flu that finishes it off.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LR23 said:

I think the clubs need the money from the additional home fixtures though - if we cut a load of fixtures (even the loop fixtures) will those without wealthy benefactors be able to cope?

They will just have to work on getting more through the gate than they presently do for the remaining games they do get.

If they’re serious about it, then they will really take advantage of the less is more theory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clogiron said:

Somehow the 34 player's, 3 match officials and numerous support staff, what 60+ seems in contradiction to what the Government is advising at present, never mind the 2mt social space reccomended will be great to watch won't it, and we haven't even mentioned a player or staff being positive for the virus.

That's now, not in 1,2,3 months time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

james graham has come out and said players including himslf should take pay cuts for the good of the game, I wonder if dollar bill Williams will echo that sentiment?

I wonder if Nick Politsis is going to struggle to pay his mortgage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I absolutely give up predicting what is going to happen with this as about six weeks ago I thought it would be little more than a storm in a teacup and even 2 weeks ago, I didn't foresee the restrictions put in place today so the exact timeline I am not guessing at but it doesn't appear this could possibly be sorted as quickly as the initial suspension so long term financial hardship seems inevitable. 

All sports are going to have to have a sit-down with satellite providers. Without their money, many UK sports clubs would be unviable but without uk sport, sky and bt subscriptions would be far less popular and worth buttons. We've got to work out something mutually beneficial. Exactly what that looks like I don't know though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A view from Fev. 

 


Please view my photos.

 

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

 

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

 

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pricey81 said:

I absolutely give up predicting what is going to happen with this as about six weeks ago I thought it would be little more than a storm in a teacup and even 2 weeks ago, I didn't foresee the restrictions put in place today so the exact timeline I am not guessing at but it doesn't appear this could possibly be sorted as quickly as the initial suspension so long term financial hardship seems inevitable. 

All sports are going to have to have a sit-down with satellite providers. Without their money, many UK sports clubs would be unviable but without uk sport, sky and bt subscriptions would be far less popular and worth buttons. We've got to work out something mutually beneficial. Exactly what that looks like I don't know though.

If every professional RL club went to the wall and therefore the top teams playing the game were all amateur then would the tv companies really pull the plug ? I actually doubt it .... they would still be showing the best available teams in the sport.

Netball's Super League is, at best, semi-professional yet it is still shown on tv because those playing are the best in this country ... so why shouldn't the best RL players in this country be given similar coverage irrespective of their financial rewards from their clubs ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

They will just have to work on getting more through the gate than they presently do for the remaining games they do get.

If they’re serious about it, then they will really take advantage of the less is more theory.

Yes it’s that easy 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Indeed , but when survival is on the line ?

Fans will hopefully rally around their clubs as they often do in times of hardship (eg Widnes last season), but SP seems to think it should be easy for clubs to just work harder and get more fans in. It’s as if they’ll never have thought of that before. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Fans will hopefully rally around their clubs as they often do in times of hardship (eg Widnes last season), but SP seems to think it should be easy for clubs to just work harder and get more fans in. It’s as if they’ll never have thought of that before. 

Yes it's easy to tell somebody what they should do , actually doing it isn't 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Ummmm , very telling 

Be fair; it ain't easy finding an action shot of RU... :kolobok_wink:

  • Haha 3

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...