Devon Ram

Coronavirus: Impact on Rugby League (Merged Threads)

4 hours ago, LR23 said:

Congratulations. I didn’t disagree with you in principle but if you want to focus on Coronavirus impact on society and life in general and avoid discussing rugby league maybe don’t come on a thread titled ‘Coronavirus: Impact on Rugby League’.

As someone else mentioned, there are some people looking to rugby league and these boards as a diversion from the awful current state of the world. Nothing wrong with that in my view.

We all have our own thoughts and views. Stay safe and healthy mate. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

We all have our own thoughts and views. Stay safe and healthy mate. 

I’m sure the forums will become very popular in coming weeks. If your post isn’t removed by a mod then it stands.

Stay safe.

@LR23 Grow up.

4 hours ago, SL17 said:

I’m sure the forums will become very popular in coming weeks. If your post isn’t removed by a mod then it stands.

Stay safe.

@LR23 Grow up.

?

On 16/03/2020 at 08:21, LeeF said:

What does this prove?

You have the answer now

You have too late. Now people may die for going to a game

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8146565/Scientists-Iceland-claim-FORTY-mutations-coronavirus.html?ito=social-facebook&fbclid=IwAR3UiiY_0J06B0vtiFTscjk3ej2Q9GdfaFPNjUdwY3aKgje7cO7F_OoJg3E

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

On 23/03/2020 at 14:31, Hela Wigmen said:

This. The talk of clubs survival, what’s on TV, what structure we should have, how we end the season etc is futile. 

It’s not futile it’s called contingency planning

in saying that I agree wholeheartedly that the future structure is not top of the priority list at the moment. Let’s all stay safe and enjoy this forum as a welcome distraction 

• Like 1

On 23/03/2020 at 03:17, Manfred Mann said:

I think that he is inadvertently including in his calculation his time on RLFans, from where, it has been alleged, he was recently banned for life.

He may be getting a bit confused in his senior years. I do hope that his lovely wife, who is more on the ball, can help him in his businesses during these very difficult times.

How long is your ban on there Jean?

TGG is one of those things that make life worthwhile and talking about it on here can only help us through it. I don't think anyone said RL is so crucial we should ignore more important issues.

And we've always talked if & ands & pots & pans, and sticking together might not be so bad.

The very strong likelihood that we might face a changed RL world with a far smaller geographical footprint at the very least is worthy of a bit of fan upset and chatter.

5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Just had a load of postponement notices come through via the BBC Sport app. Extension until 1 May?

July at the very earliest and that may be unduly optimistic.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

25 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

July at the very earliest and that may be unduly optimistic.

BBC Sport website showing 1 May, but you could be right. I’m hoping for June in line with the 12-week thing. 

5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

BBC Sport website showing 1 May, but you could be right. I’m hoping for June in line with the 12-week thing. 

12 weeks is to (optimistically) turn the tide not get back to anything approaching, never mind actual, normality. Unfortunately the government isn't getting the message across of just how big a pile of poop we're in.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

12 weeks is to (optimistically) turn the tide not get back to anything approaching, never mind actual, normality. Unfortunately the government isn't getting the message across of just how big a pile of poop we're in.

How depressing. 

2 hours ago, LeeF said:

De quoi tu parles?

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

On 23/03/2020 at 14:16, The Great Dane said:

Most of the money went to the clubs and to a lesser extent players, whom demanded more and more of the money, and did everything in their power to get it even when they knew that the NRL couldn't afford it.

Now many of those same club officials and media personalities that were bagging the ARLC and NRL for investments like the future fund and demanded that money be spent on them, are the same people who are bagging the NRL for having "wasted" it all.

Frankly, COVID-19 is quickly turning into the disaster that the NRL had to have. At least a couple clubs are going to die, and it's going to hurt in the short term, but it's going to be a massive reality check for a lot of people, and it'll cut a lot of the dead weight.

I think the Raiders will be fine.

• Like 1

Just been reading this article on the beeb https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52041674

Makes you wonder what the damage is to our sport as a comparison.

Also in addition to this it seems we'll get the next quarterly monies from sky. Source (the sun ?)

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/11253904/super-league-clubs-set-to-get-sky-money-until-june-but-the-magic-may-be-lost/

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

12 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

Just been reading this article on the beeb https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52041674

Makes you wonder what the damage is to our sport as a comparison.

Again, our lack of real scale may help us here in that the RFU's expected impact is bigger than the RFL's whole turnover by some distance! 

IF we are going to look for a positive for RL, it is that it happened this year and not next year with the World Cup. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Copa said:

I think the Raiders will be fine.

They were on TV tonight saying they had no money at all and wanted the NRL to bail them out.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

4 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

RFL Executives have agreed to take pay cuts it seems:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/52050151

A number of other staff likely to be furloughed, which is just a posh word for laid off.

No, in the current circumstances it has a very specific meaning as they will still be paid, in large part at least.

• Like 1