Liam Marshall

First saw him pre season against us a number of years ago scored a couple, and I hoped we would go for him as I am sure he only had  a PT contract at the time. Went to Swinton on loan or DR I believe. Really like this lad, just gets the job done with bags of pace - hope he does pull on the shirt at some point as pace is needed out wide but my 2 would be Makinson and Johnstone for the tests

34 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Just got a 3 year deal at Wigan.  57 tries in 71 games.  I'd rather see him in an England shirt than Hall or McGilvary.  Or Austin...

I’d have him behind Makinson, Johnstone and (if he stays fit) Manfredi but he should be considered. 

Makes too many errors under pressure in my opinion. Also he'd get ragged about by bigger opposition wingers too often.

If they can catch him, obviously.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Had a stormer against Hudderield and a nightmare v HKR last weekend.

A very good wingman with bags of pace and has improved massively over the past two years, Well worth a contract extension.

Not too sure for England as has been mentioned his lack of height might go against him.

Marshall is a good back-up option and always looks very lively. Johnstone and Manfredi need to have a sustained injury free period, Makinson I really like it’s just his size at international level that’s a worry. 

I've never been convinced by Marshall. Always thought Tom Davies offered more. But thats just my opinion of course.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Marshall is pretty average, probably the 4th or 5th best winger at Wigan, just my opinion of course and i say that as a Wigan fan. The worst tho is his awful gesticulating to the referee, every single time he plays from dummy half. An awful example to youngsters 

5 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

I've never been convinced by Marshall. Always thought Tom Davies offered more. But thats just my opinion of course.

Its weird, as you say, youd have thought he'd be the one to leave and davies be chasing Burgess and manfredi for a starting shirt.

Likewise,  go back 8 yrs, williams, hampshire and Powell all coming through, who'd have put money on Powell being the one still there?

51 minutes ago, Hughsehhh said:

Manfredi, Burgess and French all without question better, so thats 4th. Personally i rate Davies over him, so that nudges him down to 5th

Ah c'mon you can't include non-Wigan players!!

1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

But not at international level. 

If you mean he’s not a 6’4” 18 stone robot no,  but he’ll be exciting. Think of Offiah and the like. He’s been a stand out since he was young. Could score from anywhere on the field and showed last week he can do it at the highest level. Give him a go. 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

2 hours ago, The 4 of Us said:

He’ll score 2 to one conceded. Worth it. 

2 hours ago, Number 16 said:

But not at international level. 

Absolutely.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

6 hours ago, Hughsehhh said:

Manfredi, Burgess and French all without question better, so thats 4th. Personally i rate Davies over him, so that nudges him down to 5th

Davies left Wigan 6 months ago.

French is primarily a fullback and not considered to be a winger by Wigan.

Burvess hasn't played consistently well in quite a while now and has stagnated somewhat, Marshall is presently keeping him out of the team.

Manfredi is the best winger at Wigan in my opinion.

I really like Marshall, but there is no point picking him for England, as he is too small. Cracking player, very exciting, and (unlike Joe Burgess, seemingly) makes the absolute most of his talent. I wonder whether he has nipped ahead of Davies because of the concerns around his horrific injury last Good Friday, but given how how father’s career was blighted by bad injuries, it would be impossible to begrudge him that. 

11 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Davies left Wigan 6 months ago.

French is primarily a fullback and not considered to be a winger by Wigan.

Burvess hasn't played consistently well in quite a while now and has stagnated somewhat, Marshall is presently keeping him out of the team.

Manfredi is the best winger at Wigan in my opinion.

Yeah that's my view of it too.  Although even Manfredi hasn't had a good run for a while due to injuries. 

It highlights a big issue with the game for me that he won’t be risked at international level because they’ll have a 6’3” winger opposite him and just bomb him to death. I don’t really like messy tries from bombs, to be honest, would much rather see the type Marshall scores.

He is currently the best winger at Wigan.

Burgess is nothing like the player he was two years ago, and whilst I really rate Manfredi he is not back to anything like his best form and has been caught quite easily on his last couple of breaks. He needs time to get his pace and confidence back.

To say that Marshall is the 4th or 5th best winger at Wigan this season shows a complete lack of objectivity.

Archived