Jump to content

Where have you lived?


Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Thirty years on, I still shudder at the memory.

We stayed in one like that in Rhyl.

We had to restrain me Nan from writing "Never again, sod off!" in the guest book.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 hours ago, Oxford said:

I forgot Germany .... Wolfsburg!

 

More details on Nigeria, Saudi and Qatar please?

given my job, the Middle East has potential for me to move there, particularly Dubai & Qatar, but i'm not sure i could swing it by the boss.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

More details on Nigeria, Saudi and Qatar please?

given my job, the Middle East has potential for me to move there, particularly Dubai & Qatar, but i'm not sure i could swing it by the boss.

 

KSA was an excellent experience; the highs were the salary and lifestyle. Lows were living in what was obviously a repressive regime and being on the very last plane out in the middle of a war.

Qatar was a disapointment in some ways but that had to do with a drop in both the good points above. Highs lots of Lebanese food and French pastry.

Nigeria was one you shouldn't miss though I couldn't recommend it and even the Nigerians would say why would you accept another contract and stay here if you didn't have to? I did learn that phrases can convey so much more there though. It's weekend sir (?) & It's not easy - both meant, can I have a bit more money? The electricity NEPA used to go off until a bribe was arranged and the Police expected baksheesh and the airport staff said what can you do for me today (bribe) but offering a bribes was illegal.

Edited by Oxford

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Born in Aberdeen, my mum and dad's home town.

As a babe in arms to Manchester (Didsbury) to the home they were setting up there.

As a toddler to rural South Gloucestershire - a hamlet called Siston, and primary school in Pucklechurch, then first secondary school years in Bristol.

As an early teenager to Astley, near Leigh (introduction to live rugby league)

In mid teens, Bristol, this time living in the city itself.

First job, in late teens, Northallerton.

Career progression, moved to Long Preston (between Skipton and Settle), first a flat and then an almshouse (latter had no inside loo and a shared bath-house between ten houses, but the weekly rent in 1974 was a modest £1 5p a week!)

Embsay (near Skipton), after I got married.

Career progression again, to Ingleton, Co Durham (between Darlington and Barnard Castle)

Forced career move which I didn't want, Whiteparish, near Salisbury.

Now, Morgan's Vale, near Salisbury.

No more moving plans....for now!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Enjoyed reading this thread. I could comment/ask questions on loads of the posts. Here is my list:-

Failsworth (Oldham)

Oldham (Town)

Failsworth (Oldham)

Newton Heath (Manchester)

Blakley (Manchester)

Gorton (Manchester) x 3

Northampton

Wellingborough

Frankfurt

Bromley (London)

Croydon (London)

Wellingborough

Islington (London)

Royton (Oldham)

Stalybridge (Tameside - Next door to Oldham) x 2.

Worst B&B ever was in Thornton Heath (The clock house?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well why not.

Crewe

Stoke on Trent

Ealing

Brentwood

Chelmsford

Whitley Bay

Northallerton

Bedale

North Vancouver, beautiful BC, shame a parking space costs $500,000 (though maybe not after all this).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Wow, BC? That's not different to Ealing. Remote, Wild, full of weird people, but enjoy.

Not at the moment of course! However that in itself has created a different problem, the local bears have woken up, and with no traffic on the streets they are a little bolder, there are two bear warning signs erected round the corner from my house, and with an increase in skunk, raccoon and coyote traffic you could say we are currently wilder than ever!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/04/2020 at 04:45, Oldbear said:

Well why not.

Crewe

Stoke on Trent

Ealing

Brentwood

Chelmsford

Whitley Bay

Northallerton

Bedale

North Vancouver, beautiful BC, shame a parking space costs $500,000 (though maybe not after all this).

A friend of mine emigrated to Canada best part of 20 years ago.

He was a bit of a mountain man in his youth and fancied BC but ended up in his wife's patch on PEI.

I said, "well at least you're in the same country" until he pointed out that he lives closer to the UK than BC. ?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/04/2020 at 15:19, Scubby said:

Mostly detached and semi-detached. Three years in a terrace, four in a flat and now live in a detached.

Semi

Nurses Residences (plural, while doing Agency)

Studio Flat

Nurses residence

One bed flat

three bed flat

Three Bed Mid Terrace

One bed Flat

Edited by Bleep1673
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
On 16/04/2020 at 10:15, Oxford said:

Nigeria was one you shouldn't miss though I couldn't recommend it and even the Nigerians would say why would you accept another contract and stay here if you didn't have to?

Lagos in the 80’s.....arrived at the airport via Hannover, my team of 2 having, fortunately, gone ahead.  At the passport check a very friendly, smiling official  ‘signalled’ me to follow him to his office where he said that my yellow fever vaccination wasn’t official for 2days, I had to be quarantined and Naira was needed for my food,etc.  When I asked how much, he said “What have you got?”.   I  had about 10 quid, but in Deutschmarks, which I placed on his desk, and it quickly found his drawer!  He then escorted me to my luggage wishing me a safe stay in Lagos.  It was a time of serious civil unrest with reports of locals being executed on the beach near our hotel!  All the exhibition material airfreighted from UK in “igloos” had been emptied on arrival, and the igloos disappeared for ‘local use’. Fortunately, my colleagues had managed to relocate the exhibition material.  Lovely people though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Newbury (until I was 18)

Bradford (Uni)

sittingbourne (Kent)

Watford 

Sittingbourne 

London 

Been planning to move out of London in preparation for retirement just can’t decide where (being near a RL team would be good but limits options)

Edited by EssexRL
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, glemiln said:

Lagos in the 80’s.....arrived at the airport via Hannover, my team of 2 having, fortunately, gone ahead.  At the passport check a very friendly, smiling official  ‘signalled’ me to follow him to his office where he said that my yellow fever vaccination wasn’t official for 2days, I had to be quarantined and Naira was needed for my food,etc.  When I asked how much, he said “What have you got?”.   I  had about 10 quid, but in Deutschmarks, which I placed on his desk, and it quickly found his drawer!  He then escorted me to my luggage wishing me a safe stay in Lagos.  It was a time of serious civil unrest with reports of locals being executed on the beach near our hotel!  All the exhibition material airfreighted from UK in “igloos” had been emptied on arrival, and the igloos disappeared for ‘local use’. Fortunately, my colleagues had managed to relocate the exhibition material.  Lovely people though.

I used to love arriving and leaving Lagos the Bribery is illegal signs everywhere was like being like a star in a Monty Python sketch.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...