Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
welshmagpie

Ealing community club launched

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

I have never heard of these guys but the Snares were a lovely Family. 

I think they were called the Snapes


Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hemel Stags(Red shirts) v Fulham Travellers (Blue shirts) in the summer of 1981 at Pennine Way. Both teams were yet to play a competitive fixture. The shirts were loaned to the clubs by the London Amateur Rugby League to help both clubs get started

img006 (2).jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

I have never heard of these guys but the Snares were a lovely Family. 

There was another well-known Fulham supporting family back in those heady days at Craven Cottage, anyone who attended in the first couple of seasons must remember them. They were from Catford and were fanatical Rugby League fans. The father was a big rotund white haired bloke called Doug, and his missus was a garrulous big busty gypsy looking woman with massive red hair and she wore tons of make up. They had two daughters, one in her teens who looked tough as old boots and an older sister in her twenties who looked stunning but had an IQ in single figures. She was a platinum blonde who wore cocktail dresses for games and a fur coat.I think the mother (who also used to turn up in a fur coat too) was trying to marry her off to anyone with prospects....they were always in the players lounge under the Riverside stand after games and the pretty daughter would glam up, get her cleavage out and mingle with the players, but she was as dim as a Toc-H lamp and so the effort was always wasted. Doug had a thing about black players too....he was always going on about Fulham playing an "All Blacks" team made up of all black players...I think he wasn't interested in the game , just wanted to see black men in shorts running around. Anyone remember these characters? ?

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Hemel Rugby League said:

Hemel Stags(Red shirts) v Fulham Travellers (Blue shirts) in the summer of 1981 at Pennine Way. Both teams were yet to play a competitive fixture. The shirts were loaned to the clubs by the London Amateur Rugby League to help both clubs get started

img006 (2).jpg

Was in the Hemel Stags club house last year, and that red shirt is in a frame. Nice bit of club history. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/06/2020 at 12:53, welshmagpie said:

Pitshanger Panthers and will based at Trailfinders. I see Broncos have assisted with sorting a kit for the U13 and U14 teams.

Good move and clear that London are keen to plant further roots in the Ealing area

Pitshanger Lane in W5 is dreadful, I call for a new name, Ealing Eels

Edited by Bleep1673

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

There was another well-known Fulham supporting family back in those heady days at Craven Cottage, anyone who attended in the first couple of seasons must remember them. They were from Catford and were fanatical Rugby League fans. The father was a big rotund white haired bloke called Doug, and his missus was a garrulous big busty gypsy looking woman with massive red hair and she wore tons of make up. They had two daughters, one in her teens who looked tough as old boots and an older sister in her twenties who looked stunning but had an IQ in single figures. She was a platinum blonde who wore cocktail dresses for games and a fur coat.I think the mother (who also used to turn up in a fur coat too) was trying to marry her off to anyone with prospects....they were always in the players lounge under the Riverside stand after games and the pretty daughter would glam up, get her cleavage out and mingle with the players, but she was as dim as a Toc-H lamp and so the effort was always wasted. Doug had a thing about black players too....he was always going on about Fulham playing an "All Blacks" team made up of all black players...I think he wasn't interested in the game , just wanted to see black men in shorts running around. Anyone remember these characters? ?

In summary, you tried it on with the older daughter after a few too many Watney’s and she  told you to do one?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

There was another well-known Fulham supporting family back in those heady days at Craven Cottage, anyone who attended in the first couple of seasons must remember them. They were from Catford and were fanatical Rugby League fans. The father was a big rotund white haired bloke called Doug, and his missus was a garrulous big busty gypsy looking woman with massive red hair and she wore tons of make up. They had two daughters, one in her teens who looked tough as old boots and an older sister in her twenties who looked stunning but had an IQ in single figures. She was a platinum blonde who wore cocktail dresses for games and a fur coat.I think the mother (who also used to turn up in a fur coat too) was trying to marry her off to anyone with prospects....they were always in the players lounge under the Riverside stand after games and the pretty daughter would glam up, get her cleavage out and mingle with the players, but she was as dim as a Toc-H lamp and so the effort was always wasted. Doug had a thing about black players too....he was always going on about Fulham playing an "All Blacks" team made up of all black players...I think he wasn't interested in the game , just wanted to see black men in shorts running around. Anyone remember these characters? ?

Hilarious YES I do all coming back in the old brain cells:)

 

Edited by ATLANTISMAN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Number 16 said:

I totally agree. In fact I'd go further and make supporting grassroot clubs a requirement of being in SL.

E.g. (only!):

Saints to support two junior clubs in Merseyside - help with coaching, organisational support, purchase kit etc

Wigan to support one each in Bolton and Preston

Hull ... Bridlington and Scarborough

Etc etc

Examples only

Good In theory but it is of course bias.

Would be better for the central body to finance expansion (heartland expansion included) from the SL money

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Good In theory but it is of course bias.

Would be better for the central body to finance expansion (heartland expansion included) from the SL money

I'm not sure what you mean by 'bias'. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'bias'. 

 

Well a community club with close ties to a SL club with maybe SL clubs coaches, then the parents think to take their kids to these clubs for opportunities ECT.. 

Then another local club who used to have close ties looses them as the SL club focuses on their affiliate

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I place this for perusal

Scan_20200604.png

A mention of Martin Dean in that letter. I think he became a referee but gave it up when southern RL went to the summer as he was in to cricket. He was a good bloke, but he cost us the 1998 Gorden Anderton Trophy missing two Reading tries in the last five minutes from a seventh tackle and a knock on so obvious that even Reading stopped.

It still rankles.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, yipyee said:

Well a community club with close ties to a SL club with maybe SL clubs coaches, then the parents think to take their kids to these clubs for opportunities ECT.. 

Then another local club who used to have close ties looses them as the SL club focuses on their affiliate

I'm talking about SL clubs creating new junior clubs in what are mainly current non-RL playing area. I wouldn't advocate Cas taking over responsibility for Fev Lions who are on Rovers' doorstep. 

RL needs to extend its boundaries and not just to Bristol, Birmingham and Bude. It also needs to extend to the likes of Stockport, Southport and Scunthorpe.

I'd give responsibility of extending to neighbouring areas to SL (and bigger Championship) clubs because they can gain from increasing player and fan base. Part of the Sky bounty should be ring-fenced for that purpose.

The further flung areas should be for the RFL to work.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Team Sheets from that day, 3rd May 1992 at Wasps RFC, Sudbury, I am number 2 for Ealing, and their kicker that year

Scan_20200604 (2).png

Some interesting names there. The South London halfbacks: Dixon McIver went on to be New Zealand's leading kickboxing promoter and is now an NRL player agent. Bhima Bhana is a Northcote stalwart and his son Dave Bhana played NRL for the Newcastle Knights and for the Warriors reserve grade. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Number 16 said:

No, defo the Snares as I'm still on FB with one of them.

My mistake, I apologise.


Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ron and Mo Snares, one daughter played for Fulham Women's side (Michelle ?) and a son was involved with East London side as player (Kevin ?) with Ron and Mo involved off pitch. Remember several happy post match sessions in the bar, both at Chiswick and East London.

 


My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, BJW said:

Ron and Mo Snares, one daughter played for Fulham Women's side (Michelle ?) and a son was involved with East London side as player (Kevin ?) with Ron and Mo involved off pitch. Remember several happy post match sessions in the bar, both at Chiswick and East London.

Yes, Michelle and Kevin. I first got to know the family when they were all involved with the East London club in the early 90s. Michelle was the physio and eventually married one of the East's players, Andy Preston. Kev was a decent #9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

Yes, Michelle and Kevin. I first got to know the family when they were all involved with the East London club in the early 90s. Michelle was the physio and eventually married one of the East's players, Andy Preston. Kev was a decent #9.

Ask Michelle how her nose is ? Was at the game she broke it and it wasn't a pleasant sight. Wasn't Ron the one who arranged for the excavator to 'improve' the banking at Chiswick that Bob Evans managed to turn over ?


My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I played the name "London" ARL was a bit of a joke, we played teams as far away as Aldershot (Suaddies before the armed forces allowed RL), Bognor Regis (When we turned up their players were in the bar on the beer), Essex Scimitars, & Cambridge.

Since I have stopped playing, Maidstone & Brighton have both had teams, I think that is why it has been renamed Southern Counties ARL


Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/06/2020 at 09:54, Number 16 said:

Back in the day Streatham-Croydon had a loose attitude towards their players playing RL. They also hosted Peckham Pumas. Strange to say that nowadays, in the time of free gangways, S-C refuse to allow RL on their ground!

It must have been growing too fast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played against all the clubs mentioned. I knew Bill Goodwin and would love to know if he's still around. Once, the Fulham lads came to us in South Wales and we put them up in dormitory accommodation in the local sports centre. After too many drinks the night before, their loose forward and stand-off, (two of their best players) went for a swim in the 50 metre pool. Possibly still hung over they both dived in the shallow end, one ending up with his neck in a collar (luckily) and the other had 12 stiches across his forehead! He looked like Boris Karloff's understudy. Suffice to say, we whacked 'em. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played a couple of times for Ealing in the early 80s, i drank in a pub in West Ealing and the landlord was on the board of Ealing RL. Because I was a northerner he presumed i could play RL. Think the pub was called The Greyhound.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway this thread is great news, Come on Ealing!!!! Come on Aberavon Fighting Irish!!!! What about a rematch? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...