Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
audois

Pia serious

Recommended Posts

Not as the Donkeys of yester years but as the Barouders. Pia of old threw in the towel some years back after a fall out with the Federation . They had been prominent in Elite 1 at the time.Got promition last year into Elite 2 but in 2021 could be heading up further.

The announcement of the signing of St Esteves centre Thomas Ambert indicates their aspirations. The 30 yr old centre was in Dragons reseve team who won Elite 1 Championship last year. He ’s spent the last few years as one of the experienced players helping the youngsters develop. For Ambert it’a return home to his roots, their stadium was named after his grand father.

equipe_1575455449.jpg.055046fd94e84501dacc0f2cd5e0ba26.jpg

Edited by audois
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who will bankroll the new Pia? The Mairie?

How can such a very small town as Pia is  afford a rugby league team?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Who will bankroll the new Pia? The Mairie?

How can such a very small town as Pia is  afford a rugby league team?

Population 9,000, plus no doubt surrounding smaller towns and villages. The population of the town itself isn’t the be all and end all, ask Cas, or Heerenveen in the Dutch football league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Population 9,000, plus no doubt surrounding smaller towns and villages. The population of the town itself isn’t the be all and end all, ask Cas, or Heerenveen in the Dutch football league. 

Castleford has over 40,000 residents. That is more than four times the residents of tiny little Pia. Heerenveen has a population of more than 50,000. That is more than five times the residents of tiny little Pia. So my original question is still valid. 

Edited by Manfred Mann
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Castleford has over 40,000 residents. That is more than four times the residents of tiny little Pia. Heerenveen has a population of more than 50,000. That is more than five times the residents of tiny little Pia. So my original question is still valid. 

In context though, a team in Elite 1 doesn’t need 25% of the funding of a team in SL or the Eredivisie, nowhere near it in fact.

How big is the place where Forest Green Rovers are from - less than 1k? Burnley and Norwich punch well above their weight having a PL team too, as does Green Bay in NFL - it’s all comparative. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They also have a women`s team, Les Baroudeuses, which is usually a sign of a club growing its community base and moving forward.

A lot of the strongest French RL towns have small populations, but if RL ever becomes a major sport in French cities, it will be on the foundations of the small town grass roots presence.

Edited by unapologetic pedant
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Mamine Greseque involved in the club at all?

A wonderful talent in the 00's - be nice to hear if he is coaching?

Edited by Chris Taylor

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

Is Mamine Greseque involved in the club at all?

A wonderful talent in the 00's - be nice to hear if he is coaching?

IIRC Maxime Greseque is coach at Limoux in Elite 1.

Edited by BJW
Correction
  • Thanks 2

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Eddie said:

In context though, a team in Elite 1 doesn’t need 25% of the funding of a team in SL or the Eredivisie, nowhere near it in fact.

How big is the place where Forest Green Rovers are from - less than 1k? Burnley and Norwich punch well above their weight having a PL team too, as does Green Bay in NFL - it’s all comparative. 

Quite true I think green bays population is the same or dam near it to the capacity of the stadium

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Quite true I think green bays population is the same or dam near it to the capacity of the stadium

Population around 105000, ground capacity around 81500 for Lambeau Field.

  • Like 1

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BJW said:

IIRC Maxime Greseque is coach at Limoux in Elite 1.

Think it was Maxime I saw on TV ordering Fish and chips somewhere in or near Featherstone. Wonder what his verdict was. Our French friends are not usually very complimentary about Cuisine Anglaise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Think it was Maxime I saw on TV ordering Fish and chips somewhere in or near Featherstone. Wonder what his verdict was. Our French friends are not usually very complimentary about Cuisine Anglaise.

Maxime was well loved in his small time at Featherstone, he was a very talented player and I'm sure the club tried to resign him multiple times. 

Glad to hear he is still in the game.


2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Think it was Maxime I saw on TV ordering Fish and chips somewhere in or near Featherstone. Wonder what his verdict was. Our French friends are not usually very complimentary about Cuisine Anglaise.

Videoed for Villeneuve at Castleford years ago and, in the company of the cameraman from the UK company covering it, went to the pie stand. He knew me from other games and knew I was from Hull but we kept up pretence I was French as I put on awful accent (Villeneuve top helped). The staff serving were less than amused when I pointed to the mushy peas and asked if it was avocado ?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to love going to the old PIA club 1999/2005 saw some great games there and some fab players the local derbies v St Esteve and x111 Catalan used to be brilliant was fantastic when Jacques Jordi was coach:)

Guy the Marie was a rugby league fanatic and actually I think spent a few weeks  in the slammer for cooking the books at the Marie with regards to monies going to his beloved club:) I remember there was once 3/4 Aussies employed as road sweepers LOL:) they sure as hell didn't do much street cleaning.

Funny thing in the next election Guy won again with an increased majority.

Don't you just love France as I quoted before what my wife said to me STAY OUT of politics in France and enjoy the ride when in Rome you should be roman:)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/06/2020 at 19:43, yipyee said:

Quite true I think green bays population is the same or dam near it to the capacity of the stadium

Factual, but not relevant.  Through various initiatives the Packers made themselves Wisconsin's team rather than just Green Bay's team so they draw from the entire state, and they get an equal share of the money the NFL distributes from TV rights and other league revenues.

Edited by Big Picture

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Factual, but not relevant.  Through various initiatives the Packers made themselves Wisconsin's team rather than just Green Bay's team so they draw from the entire state, and they get an equal share of the money the NFL distributes from TV rights and other league revenues.

It is relevant to the point being made here that a team doesn’t necessarily need a big population in the town where they’re based to be successful (though clearly in the main it helps). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/06/2020 at 16:10, unapologetic pedant said:

They also have a women`s team, Les Baroudeuses, which is usually a sign of a club growing its community base and moving forward.

A lot of the strongest French RL towns have small populations, but if RL ever becomes a major sport in French cities, it will be on the foundations of the small town grass roots presence.

Off course that is the nature of things and goes without saying, massive oak trees grow from small acorns.

Unless you take North America, there they try to do things in reverse, start big then rely on others to provide the player's no grass roots, no infrastructure, no intention to do so.

I would much sooner have the French way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best of luck to them, hopefully they can make it into Super League one day but it is early days on their road to Wigan-Pia.

  • Haha 3

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Best of luck to them, hopefully they can make it into Super League one day but it is early days on their road to Wigan-Pia.

No.


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/06/2020 at 01:53, unapologetic pedant said:

Think it was Maxime I saw on TV ordering Fish and chips somewhere in or near Featherstone. Wonder what his verdict was. Our French friends are not usually very complimentary about Cuisine Anglaise.

Hold on a mo, I am a Lancashire lad who loves my trips to Fev and apart from the rugby my big highlight is visiting the fish 'n chip shop on the High Street they are excellent, in my opinion the Tykes cook their fish 'n chips much better than we do and use 'proper' beef dripping not that 'orrible tasteless vegetable oily stuff that is used this side of the big hill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BJW said:

Videoed for Villeneuve at Castleford years ago and, in the company of the cameraman from the UK company covering it, went to the pie stand. He knew me from other games and knew I was from Hull but we kept up pretence I was French as I put on awful accent (Villeneuve top helped). The staff serving were less than amused when I pointed to the mushy peas and asked if it was avocado ?

Excellent, well done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Off course that is the nature of things and goes without saying, massive oak trees grow from small acorns.

Unless you take North America, there they try to do things in reverse, start big then rely on others to provide the player's no grass roots, no infrastructure, no intention to do so.

I would much sooner have the French way.

At the risk of turning this into yet another TWP debate, I don’t think what you’re saying is strictly correct. RL in the USA is growing bottom up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...