Ottawa and New York

5 hours ago, PhilCarrington said:

So another player with strong Championship experience and presumably at Championship pay rates unless they're all taking pay cuts. Great signing, but TWP-MK2 in terms of financing a team to play in League 1.

Well, I assume they want to get out of L1 so will want a championship standard squad, don't see a problem there if it's sustainable. Nobody outside the club knows how much Ottawa is paying their players, but I'd be surprised if they are matching the wages of TWP. This is (so far) a young-ish British/French squad, no big ex-SL or NRL names.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Well, I assume they want to get out of L1 so will want a championship standard squad, don't see a problem there if it's sustainable. Nobody outside the club knows how much Ottawa is paying their players, but I'd be surprised if they are matching the wages of TWP. This is (so far) a young-ish British/French squad, no big ex-SL or NRL names.

Hi Whippy, so do you think that Mr Perez's itended 10 'locals' in the squad and 5 year slowly slowly organic growth - "we will not be rushing" - has gone out of the window, or has the more cynical amongst us would say it was a complete pack of lies to begin with and never ever the intention.

Now don't get me wrong, if I was an investor or a fan coming on board I would wish my team progressed through the ranks asap, but I would prefer that those relaying the information were honest in the first place, I used the word cynical how quickly will that change to an observation and Mr Perez will be gaining a reputation for all the wrong reasons, ultimately with those who will be shaping his and his club's future.

14 hours ago, PhilCarrington said:

So another player with strong Championship experience and presumably at Championship pay rates unless they're all taking pay cuts. Great signing, but TWP-MK2 in terms of financing a team to play in League 1.

Would you rather that snapped up WWR squad fillers on a tenner a week?

59 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi Whippy, so do you think that Mr Perez's itended 10 'locals' in the squad and 5 year slowly slowly organic growth - "we will not be rushing" - has gone out of the window, or has the more cynical amongst us would say it was a complete pack of lies to begin with and never ever the intention.

Now don't get me wrong, if I was an investor or a fan coming on board I would wish my team progressed through the ranks asap, but I would prefer that those relaying the information were honest in the first place, I used the word cynical how quickly will that change to an observation and Mr Perez will be gaining a reputation for all the wrong reasons, ultimately with those who will be shaping his and his club's future.

I think Perez deserves the benefit of the doubt over the absence of local player development at Toronto, end of the day it was Argyle paying the bills and calling all the shots there. He clearly had no interest in the club directly developing the game locally and Perez jumped ship some time ago. We don't know what Perez would have done with a free hand.

He has said he wants to do things differently at Ottawa. That should include developing local players and Perez has said they want to do this. I am still awaiting details of their "trials" plan but alongside that it should not be difficult for a full time professional club to get a few local schools trying RL out or to set up a couple of junior amateur clubs in 2021. By this I don't just mean a one off window dressing "rugby tournament" over a weekend, but proper sustainable RL being developed.

I am a fan of NA expansion, but am very uncomfortable with any full time professional team sitting there with no local player development process for them. People quite rightly criticise British clubs for not running an Acadamy or A team, NA clubs should not be teated any differently in developing players. If Toronto had spent 1% of their budget on that we could have had a small amateur league running in Toronto which would have been a huge reputational boost for them and avoided some criticism.

Ottawa have seen and know what went wrong at Toronto. I'd like the RFL to give them a year and then judge what they have done to sustainably grow Rugby League. That should also be a condition of any TWP mark 2.

7 hours ago, SL17 said:

It sort of follows a certain similar trend though. 
Do you think it will be any different? This is possibly the last shot. They and I mean they! Have to get it right..

Havent got a clue.

Basic common sense is that they have gone through what went wrong at Toronto with a fine-tooth comb.

Common sense in Rugby League....oxymoron of the day for you there.

5 hours ago, ojx said:

Were Toronto a young squad?

I'm still waiting to hear about the Canadian players that EP was trumpeting on his media tours.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Aces said they’d be inviting Canadian trialists in the autumn. No idea if that will still happen due to COVID. 

TWP went out of their way, as is Brian Noble's style, to sign experienced players and blitz their way through the leagues.

Ottawa, meanwhile, are signing younger guys who mostly seem to be coming from a semi-pro background. That suggests they'll also be cheaper. They'll have a good team, which is important for an expansion outfit, but not one that will break the bank. It also has the potential to grow, reducing the need to immediately replace players with even more overpaid signings.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

1 hour ago, nadera78 said:

TWP went out of their way, as is Brian Noble's style, to sign experienced players and blitz their way through the leagues.

Ottawa, meanwhile, are signing younger guys who mostly seem to be coming from a semi-pro background. That suggests they'll also be cheaper. They'll have a good team, which is important for an expansion outfit, but not one that will break the bank. It also has the potential to grow, reducing the need to immediately replace players with even more overpaid signings.

Looks like they're learning from TWP's mistakes. Building squad depth is difficult if you've signed too many overpaid players on long contracts to get them to come over.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Fly with the Aces, Deal with the Aces, Play with the Aces, Hold all the Aces? c'mon K'man what's the handle?

Sounds like you have it covered Harry...ONE FARTHING HARRY...WILL YOU NOT GIVE THE twP EVEN ONE FARTHING (IS A FARTHING THE SAME AS A SHILLING?).

36 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Sounds like you have it covered Harry...ONE FARTHING HARRY...WILL YOU NOT GIVE THE twP EVEN ONE FARTHING (IS A FARTHING THE SAME AS A SHILLING?).

It was worth a quarter of an ‘old’ penny or ¼d, the equivalent of 0.1p in modern money

But In Victorian times, a farthing could buy three oysters, with bread and butter, from an oyster-seller walking the streets of London

11 hours ago, nadera78 said:

One big reason I have never been impressed by Noble, he builds the ultimate flat track bully team but that approach will only ever get you so far and in a salary cap sport where major injuries are common it’s almost suicidal as it takes away any chance of building any squad depth, but I guess if you are not there in 4 years time it becomes someone else’s problem.

9 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Fly with the Aces, Deal with the Aces, Play with the Aces, Hold all the Aces? c'mon K'man what's the handle?

Just remember that Perez always has an ace in the hole to play if he needs to.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

'Ace', 'Jack', King and Queen next? That will be Derek and his good Lady. 

You know in my heart that I wish Leigh well....however there are troubling seas ahead for all of RL in England I fear...smooth paddling has now turned into medium chop with nimbus clouds ahead....time to put on the paddling jacket (a quick synopsis of my paddling adventures this summer).

Archived