Not to worry, there will be a vaccine by January and some big pharma will make a fortune as per usual. Plus the world economy cannot stand another year of this sh**  or we will be back to the stone age. I will miss not seeing the wifes family though...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 22/08/2020 at 12:20, RobertAM said:

Not to worry, there will be a vaccine by January and some big pharma will make a fortune as per usual. Plus the world economy cannot stand another year of this sh**  or we will be back to the stone age. I will miss not seeing the wifes family though...

You must have special information. The government advisor today says that a vaccine before winter 2021/22 would be an exceptional achievement.

Edited by Blind side johnny

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

34 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

You must have special information. The government advisor today says that a vaccine before winter 2021/22 would be an exceptional achievement.

For North America there saying Jan-March of 2021 in Europe i have seen some reports it could be the following year.

On 14/08/2020 at 23:22, RobertAM said:

CFL salaries aren't high unless you are a star refuge from the NFL..only American football can make you a multi millionaire

The min salary is $50,000 which is still a good pay.

On 13/08/2020 at 16:25, Smudger06 said:

Sorry. 

No to Ottawa Aces and no to NYC RL. 

Common sense must prevail.

International travel will be severely hindered well into next season on top of all the issues TWP have had in the last 4 years, to be dealt with by these Clubs! 

It makes no sense promoting NYC v Keighley, not even NYC v St Helens or NYC v Wigan....just doesn't even sound right. 

Expansion, let's expand properly & successfully to Newcastle, Sheffield & London 1st (+ Perth & Adelaide down under), then Glasgow & Dublin......and then (in 25 years time, maybe) talk North American expansion again. 

Or spend the next few years and create a North American conference

Ottawa

Toronto

3rd Ontario team

New York

Montreal

Vancouver

Boston

Chicago

Miami

Mexico City

• Haha 2

On 13/08/2020 at 16:25, Smudger06 said:

Sorry. 

No to Ottawa Aces and no to NYC RL. 

Common sense must prevail.

International travel will be severely hindered well into next season on top of all the issues TWP have had in the last 4 years, to be dealt with by these Clubs! 

It makes no sense promoting NYC v Keighley, not even NYC v St Helens or NYC v Wigan....just doesn't even sound right. 

Expansion, let's expand properly & successfully to Newcastle, Sheffield & London 1st (+ Perth & Adelaide down under), then Glasgow & Dublin......and then (in 25 years time, maybe) talk North American expansion again. 

That should leave RL fighting for relevancy and Tv coverage with the All Lancashire Conker tournament and the Broad Yorkshire Marbles Invitational..both great games by the way but I'm not gonna sit glued to my seat or telly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RobertAM said:

That should leave RL fighting for relevancy and Tv coverage with the All Lancashire Conker tournament and the Broad Yorkshire Marbles Invitational..both great games by the way but I'm not gonna sit glued to my seat or telly.

No , it won't , and in truth I'm not a huge fan of TV coverage 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 22/08/2020 at 03:20, Omott91 said:

I had worried about Ottawa and travel regarding Covid.

Can someone tell me what the current status of international travel is in the Uk?

Down here in Australia we can't even cross state borders, let alone think about getting on a plane.

No international travel to and from Canada though. Also the message being given by our government is that this could be a long term issue. In BC our health minister has said the state of emergency that we are under could remain till early 2022 and given that BC is one of the better provinces when it comes to Covid cases and deaths I really can see a problem with Ottawa even being able to kick off in 2021, expect a delay till 2022 in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Oldbear said:

No international travel to and from Canada though. Also the message being given by our government is that this could be a long term issue. In BC our health minister has said the state of emergency that we are under could remain till early 2022 and given that BC is one of the better provinces when it comes to Covid cases and deaths I really can see a problem with Ottawa even being able to kick off in 2021, expect a delay till 2022 in my opinion.

Should Ottawa be unable to play any games home in Canada in 2021 due to Covid they have plans to play out of a UK base for part or all of the season, funding is apparently in place for this and they have already spoken to a number of Stadium owners.

Other than them doing a Toronto and imploding, it looks like the only things that will stop Ottawa playing in 2021 are the season being cancelled or the RFL getting cold feel off the back of the Toronto mess. I imagine the latter is unlikely given the potential legal and PR implications.

Edited by Whippet13
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Jayme2020 said:

Or spend the next few years and create a North American conference

Ottawa

Toronto

3rd Ontario team

New York

Montreal

Vancouver

Boston

Chicago

Miami

Mexico City

You are Roger Hodgson and I claim my £5

14 hours ago, RobertAM said:

Not surprised you wouldn't want to watch those minority sports, now if you desire some riveting TV try the renowned Lancashire sport of Black Pudding Throwing, here is a link to the season's finale highlighting the best the sport can offer in the World Champioship Finals, it combines both the Lancashire Black and Yorkshire Puddings - Two for one for you foreigners - sit back and enjoy,  and try to avoid the 'loop' button!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Should Ottawa be unable to play any games home in Canada in 2021 due to Covid they have plans to play out of a UK base for part or all of the season, funding is apparently in place for this and they have already spoken to a number of Stadium owners.

Other than them doing a Toronto and imploding, it looks like the only things that will stop Ottawa playing in 2021 are the season being cancelled or the RFL getting cold feel off the back of the Toronto mess. I imagine the latter is unlikely given the potential legal and PR implications.

Still worries me, I’m still expecting a delay to 2022.

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

So another player with strong Championship experience and presumably at Championship pay rates unless they're all taking pay cuts. Great signing, but TWP-MK2 in terms of financing a team to play in League 1.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, PhilCarrington said:

So another player with strong Championship experience and presumably at Championship pay rates unless they're all taking pay cuts. Great signing, but TWP-MK2 in terms of financing a team to play in League 1.

Well, I assume they want to get out of L1 so will want a championship standard squad, don't see a problem there if it's sustainable. Nobody outside the club knows how much Ottawa is paying their players, but I'd be surprised if they are matching the wages of TWP. This is (so far) a young-ish British/French squad, no big ex-SL or NRL names.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Well, I assume they want to get out of L1 so will want a championship standard squad, don't see a problem there if it's sustainable. Nobody outside the club knows how much Ottawa is paying their players, but I'd be surprised if they are matching the wages of TWP. This is (so far) a young-ish British/French squad, no big ex-SL or NRL names.

It sort of follows a certain similar trend though. 
Do you think it will be any different? This is possibly the last shot. They and I mean they! Have to get it right..

One or two teams in League one will not fear that team with the signings to date . They seem to be underestimating the top 3 or 4 clubs in that league in my opinion

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Hi Whippy, so do you think that Mr Perez's itended 10 'locals' in the squad and 5 year slowly slowly organic growth - "we will not be rushing" - has gone out of the window, or has the more cynical amongst us would say it was a complete pack of lies to begin with and never ever the intention.

Now don't get me wrong, if I was an investor or a fan coming on board I would wish my team progressed through the ranks asap, but I would prefer that those relaying the information were honest in the first place, I used the word cynical how quickly will that change to an observation and Mr Perez will be gaining a reputation for all the wrong reasons, ultimately with those who will be shaping his and his club's future.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PhilCarrington said:

Would you rather that snapped up WWR squad fillers on a tenner a week?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi Whippy, so do you think that Mr Perez's itended 10 'locals' in the squad and 5 year slowly slowly organic growth - "we will not be rushing" - has gone out of the window, or has the more cynical amongst us would say it was a complete pack of lies to begin with and never ever the intention.

Now don't get me wrong, if I was an investor or a fan coming on board I would wish my team progressed through the ranks asap, but I would prefer that those relaying the information were honest in the first place, I used the word cynical how quickly will that change to an observation and Mr Perez will be gaining a reputation for all the wrong reasons, ultimately with those who will be shaping his and his club's future.

I think Perez deserves the benefit of the doubt over the absence of local player development at Toronto, end of the day it was Argyle paying the bills and calling all the shots there. He clearly had no interest in the club directly developing the game locally and Perez jumped ship some time ago. We don't know what Perez would have done with a free hand.

He has said he wants to do things differently at Ottawa. That should include developing local players and Perez has said they want to do this. I am still awaiting details of their "trials" plan but alongside that it should not be difficult for a full time professional club to get a few local schools trying RL out or to set up a couple of junior amateur clubs in 2021. By this I don't just mean a one off window dressing "rugby tournament" over a weekend, but proper sustainable RL being developed.

I am a fan of NA expansion, but am very uncomfortable with any full time professional team sitting there with no local player development process for them. People quite rightly criticise British clubs for not running an Acadamy or A team, NA clubs should not be teated any differently in developing players. If Toronto had spent 1% of their budget on that we could have had a small amateur league running in Toronto which would have been a huge reputational boost for them and avoided some criticism.

Ottawa have seen and know what went wrong at Toronto. I'd like the RFL to give them a year and then judge what they have done to sustainably grow Rugby League. That should also be a condition of any TWP mark 2.

Edited by Whippet13

7 hours ago, SL17 said:

It sort of follows a certain similar trend though. 
Do you think it will be any different? This is possibly the last shot. They and I mean they! Have to get it right..

Havent got a clue.

Basic common sense is that they have gone through what went wrong at Toronto with a fine-tooth comb.

Common sense in Rugby League....oxymoron of the day for you there.

13 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Havent got a clue.

Basic common sense is that they have gone through what went wrong at Toronto with a fine-tooth comb.

Common sense in Rugby League....oxymoron of the day for you there.

Amazing! You don’t have a clue.