Jump to content

Sat 8 Aug: SL: Castleford Tigers v Catalans Dragons KO 4.15pm (Sky Sports)


Who will win?  

19 members have voted

  1. 1. Who will win?

    • Castleford Tigers
      14
    • Catalans Dragons
      5

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/08/20 at 15:45

Recommended Posts


As Steve McNamara said at full time, Israel Folau still has a lot of improvement in him, because until 2020 he had not played rugby league for nine years, and he has still to get rid of some rugby union habits. But today showed that he is a real world class athlete with certain physical talents that no other Super League players have.

Let us not forget that Catalans still have the suspended Sam Tomkins, and the injured David Mead and Michael McIlorum, to return to the team. The injured Lewis Tierney might not get his place on the wing given Tom Davies’ excellent performance today. Also, James Maloney was not at his best today.

All this means that Catalans are only going to play better over the next three months. I am sure that they will make the playoffs, and they also have a good chance of getting to Old Trafford.

Edited by Manfred Mann
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, M j M said:

Wilkin is a massive improvement on insight and delivery over the Sky regulars.

Catalan look just as woeful as last week, classic McBanana.

Anyone got any idea why Hull FC's sponsors are being displayed on the banners over the north stand seats? Last week they changed the banners to fit the home team; perhaps Cas didn't want to pay for theirs?

 

You're sticking with that comment then?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Southerner said:

Folau has been a class above. 

He’s an outstanding athlete and outstanding rugby player . Accordingly he’s nailed both codes . He’s brilliant to watch and whoever else is running about in SL , he’s as good as any signing 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

As Steve McNamara said at full time, Israel Folau still has a lot of improvement in him, because until 2020 he had not played rugby league for nine years, and he has still to get rid of some rugby union habits. But today showed that he is a real world class athlete with certain physical talents that no other Super League players have.

Let us not forget that Catalans still have the suspended Sam Tomkins, and the injured David Mead and Michael McIlorum, to return to the team. While the injured Lewis Tierney might not get his place on the wing given Tom Davies’ excellent performance today. Also, James Maloney was not at his best today.

All this means that Catalans are only going to play better over the next three months. I am sure that they will make the playoffs, and they also have a good chance of getting to Old Trafford.

Maloney was dreadful today wasn’t it.
He can’t play much worse than that for rest of the season.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Southerner said:

Maloney was dreadful today wasn’t it.
He can’t play much worse than that for rest of the season.

I think you meant “wasn’t he?”

But yes, I agree. And it reinforces my main point that Catalans are only going to get much better as the season progresses. Also, the Catalans are spending August playing in England. If they keep winning now, they will be unbeatable in France. Top four looks most likely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't watch this game but received a text from a pal just saying "50 on the way".

When I replied "Who to?", he said "Cas 12-0 up after 10 mins."

This game must have been a rather bizarre watch.

England RU Coach Eddie Jones : "I spent a bit of time up at Hull and I like the full back there Connor, he's a tough, skilful player"

Jake Connor : "I've never played Union, it doesn't look that hard, you never say never but it looks too boring for me"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

As Steve McNamara said at full time, Israel Folau still has a lot of improvement in him, because until 2020 he had not played rugby league for nine years, and he has still to get rid of some rugby union habits. But today showed that he is a real world class athlete with certain physical talents that no other Super League players have.

Let us not forget that Catalans still have the suspended Sam Tomkins, and the injured David Mead and Michael McIlorum, to return to the team. The injured Lewis Tierney might not get his place on the wing given Tom Davies’ excellent performance today. Also, James Maloney was not at his best today.

All this means that Catalans are only going to play better over the next three months. I am sure that they will make the playoffs, and they also have a good chance of getting to Old Trafford.

At the suggestion that the Cats will reach the Grand Final Mr. Elstone rolls into  ball and starts whimpering!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

I think you meant “wasn’t he?”

But yes, I agree. And it reinforces my main point that Catalans are only going to get much better as the season progresses. Also, the Catalans are spending August playing in England. If they keep winning now, they will be unbeatable in France. Top four looks most likely.

It was a good win for them yesterday. But let's see if they can go on a run of wins, then you can talk about the top four. They do have a habit of creating false dawns.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Ramon Rojo said:

An interesting contribution from Mr Wilkin which provided a fresh alternative to what we normally receive. As the game reached the last quarter some of his negative points grew in frequency and he did go on a bit. Not bad for a first off but he needs to find the right balance. Would hate him to morph into Danny Murphy mode.

Fully agree with this. It was an improvement but the jury is still out for me. I think he probably works better as a pundit, to which he is excellent.
 

As you intimated, the key with commentary that less is often more, and you don’t want them rabbiting on about stuff. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

As Steve McNamara said at full time, Israel Folau still has a lot of improvement in him, because until 2020 he had not played rugby league for nine years, and he has still to get rid of some rugby union habits. But today showed that he is a real world class athlete with certain physical talents that no other Super League players have.

Let us not forget that Catalans still have the suspended Sam Tomkins, and the injured David Mead and Michael McIlorum, to return to the team. The injured Lewis Tierney might not get his place on the wing given Tom Davies’ excellent performance today. Also, James Maloney was not at his best today.

All this means that Catalans are only going to play better over the next three months. I am sure that they will make the playoffs, and they also have a good chance of getting to Old Trafford.

At the same time, I’d expect Cas to play a lot better too. This was their first hit out and their execution was poor. Catalans has the benefit of getting a hit out last week. 

Cas bombed 3 tries and handed another on the plate to the Dragons. Flip that and the score looks very different. 

That said, the addition of Folau and Davies really help Catalans and their mobile back row of Whitley, Baitieri, Jullien and Garcia will likely thrive under the new rules. 

 The first half last week vs Saints was the quickest half of footy I’ve ever seen in either hemisphere........too quick in fact as it became frantic and didn’t give the ballplayers time to think. The Dragons have certainly had the benefit of that run out and utilisation of the rules ahead of this game 

Edited by DoubleD
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For Cas it was a Championship quality back line (full back and wing/centre partnerships) with pennine league decision making.

Cas just don’t learn, there’s an obsession with taking lower league players to try and mould them, and a similar obsession with putting players in positions they really aren’t comfortable with eg Eden at fullback (and in the past Milner on the wing and Millington at halfback!).

There are players in that back line who weren’t exactly ripping up Championship and League 1, yet here they are with them pretty much in a guaranteed SL starting spot each week.

Still, Cas fans are happy cos we made the grand final a few years back and Gale was rubbish for Leeds last week (despite winning them the game). 

One game doesn’t make a season but if ever the club want to push on and actually win something a huge change of culture is needed. There’s too much of a ‘at least we made the final’ attitude amongst the fans and I believe it runs throughout all aspects of the club.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AB Knight said:

For Cas it was a Championship quality back line (full back and wing/centre partnerships) with pennine league decision making.

Cas just don’t learn, there’s an obsession with taking lower league players to try and mould them, and a similar obsession with putting players in positions they really aren’t comfortable with eg Eden at fullback (and in the past Milner on the wing and Millington at halfback!).

There are players in that back line who weren’t exactly ripping up Championship and League 1, yet here they are with them pretty much in a guaranteed SL starting spot each week.

Still, Cas fans are happy cos we made the grand final a few years back and Gale was rubbish for Leeds last week (despite winning them the game). 

One game doesn’t make a season but if ever the club want to push on and actually win something a huge change of culture is needed. There’s too much of a ‘at least we made the final’ attitude amongst the fans and I believe it runs throughout all aspects of the club.

I’m not sure Shenton and Mata’utia are Championship standard. Your best winger in Feki hasn’t started a game yet.........I’d agree with your thoughts on Olpherts and Clare. I’ve never understood the hype on Olpherts personally. 

Eden is a natural full back but wing is probably his best position because he’s too error prone. 

Perhaps you’re right about attitude/culture but it surely can’t help that you don’t have top facilities off the field. If the club sets the bar low for standard of training/playing facilities then you can’t expect the players to do otherwise 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...