what really has this guy done on the pitch since his return from ru????? - well nothing - all the white smiles in the world were not gonna mask the "omg - am on the bench and not played at this level in many years and am crappin it " lasted a few minutes till he was back off to check his bank app and his image rights

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

what really has this guy done on the pitch since his return from ru????? - well nothing - all the white smiles in the world were not gonna mask the "omg - am on the bench and not played at this level in many years and am crappin it " lasted a few minutes till he was back off to check his bank app and his image rights

He contributes to RL what you contribute to this Forum...😉

18 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

if i was a roosters player i would be thinking "whats this old money grabbing clown doing here disrupting the campaign?"

Thankfully your not,as for you thinking,give it a miss it's not your strongest point.

I watched the NRL highlights (about 2 minutes worth) and his first carry saw him get smashed by three defenders.

To his credit, he took the hit and offloaded but it seemed obvious, that the young guns were determined to show him they had little respect for him. 

I remember him being awesome at (correct me if I'm wrong) Canterbury as a kid. Very very good player.

Then in his prime he played a lot of rugby union (like Farrell and Robinson) which was a great shame as RU is rubbish and my life is too short to bother with it.

Since he's come back to Toronto he's looked a bit old and knackered but with some touches of class.

In terms of money, you cannot begrudge any money players get out of RL as it is hard earned (compared to some other sports). Those, like sbw, who take easier money from RU? Good luck to them, but as i said, it's a pity their skills are lost to RL.

Seems like a decent enough bloke.

What's the problem?

Williams is clearly a top quality player. But after all those years in the centre in Union, he is clearly in for a shock to the system if the Roosters plan to play him as a middle forward. 

I just get the impression that he wants to be a 6' 3" 17st half back.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I'm surprised Roosters took him on, as he was way off the pace in SL, but I think there was an element of trying too hard and I'm sure he would have settled down. 

Interested to see how he goes for the rest of the year. 

Just now, Dave T said:

I'm surprised Roosters took him on, as he was way off the pace in SL, but I think there was an element of trying too hard and I'm sure he would have settled down. 

Interested to see how he goes for the rest of the year. 

He's good publicity when it comes to attracting fans from outside RL. Because of his behaviour over the years, he's news wherever he goes.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

He's good publicity when it comes to attracting fans from outside RL. Because of his behaviour over the years, he's news wherever he goes.

Yes, I was surprised how gushing the coverage was of him, I thought that was just the kind of cringey stuff that Sky did (show his face literally every time something happened), but it shows how big a name he is. 

I was also interested in the apparent $32m impact he has had for the NRL. I suspect it may have been the same agency who calculated the Stobart sponsorship value for SL a few years back. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Yes, I was surprised how gushing the coverage was of him, I thought that was just the kind of cringey stuff that Sky did (show his face literally every time something happened), but it shows how big a name he is. 

I was also interested in the apparent $32m impact he has had for the NRL. I suspect it may have been the same agency who calculated the Stobart sponsorship value for SL a few years back. 

Much like his much heralded arrival at Toronto, his 2nd debut for Roosters also turned out to be a damp squib. I feel a little sorry for the player because it’s not him hyping it up and it does him no favours. He’s no more than an average NRL second rower, perhaps slightly above average SL second rower. Expectation levels need to be adjusted all around. And he's clearly a long way off match fit currently

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

But is he now ? He’s playing in a top quality side , does he deserve to be ?

Trent Robinson obviously thinks so and while I am able to offer an opinion, I think Robinson's carries more weight. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yes, I was surprised how gushing the coverage

Agreed . There’s SBW in the sheds . There’s SBW running out , taking his boot off there . There’s SBW on the bench , there’s SBW on the bench again 56 times . He’s now stretching on one knee .. SBW getting up , throwing a ball , ooh he’s holding his card . Here he comes .... off he goes again 

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

What is your opinion 

My opinion is he is still good enough to be a quality edge forward in the NRL and given enough time he would prove that.

But the Roosters have better options there and he won't be a good choice in the middle and so come the big games I wouldn't have him in the 17 if the Roosters were anywhere close to full strength. 

He was a great player no doubt , but it’s not 2004 or 2014 . It’s not his fault it was overhyped , and it may generate dollars , but where it matters on the pitch it just looks like someone trying to recapture something that they want to be there but just isn’t there anymore . So many great sportsmen have tried it but very very rarely does it succeed . I like the guy , how could you not , and I may be wrong again but that’s how it looks . You can’t turn back the clock , least of all in this game 

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:
Imagine if Super league had a player like that to leverage for profile, oh...

There are no RL players who can generate the same attention in the British media; it is a whole different world. SBW signing for Toronto was treated as a passing "and finally" item at best in most UK sports news.

And if it was a high-profile RU player signing, he would suddenly become a low-to-zero-profile RL player if he switched codes.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived