Justin Holbrook - NRL coach of the year

Just wanted to pay homage to Justin Holbrook.

In his first season he has taken the Titans from 16th to 9th with minimal recruitment. That's beyond the wildest dreams of many of their fans, I suspect, and if the season was the normal length they might even have made the finals. 

Some said Holbrook was mad to leave Saints for Gold Coast but he was always going to improve them. But surely nobody would have predicted by this much so quickly.

NRL coach of the year, for mine.

Fantastic job from Justin this season , and putting building blocks in place for even better next season . I’m a big fan of his , I hope he does big things with the Titans . I’d wager Cleary will be coach of the year though 

He's done very well and you can she his influence on the team growing as the season has gone on. As for coach of the year, I'm not sure not making the play-offs qualifies as a massive success in a league where spending is pretty balanced. 

Ivan Cleary is the obvious candidate and maybe Brad Arthur depending on how they do in the play-offs. Holbrook's time may come next year, they should be force with Fifita and Tino joining. If they can get a competent half instead Taylor they could be challengers.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Holbrook has had a solid start at the Titans,but talk of coach of the year is way off the mark,they never threatened a finals place all year although with the money they are throwing about they should be top 8 certainties next season.

For me Ivan Cleary coach of the minor premiers who have lost only 1 game this year,playing some wonderful rugby should be a shoe in.

On 26/09/2020 at 08:59, Davo5 said:

Holbrook has had a solid start at the Titans,but talk of coach of the year is way off the mark,they never threatened a finals place all year although with the money they are throwing about they should be top 8 certainties next season.

For me Ivan Cleary coach of the minor premiers who have lost only 1 game this year,playing some wonderful rugby should be a shoe in.

That's a bit harsh on Holbrook for me Davo.  He took a team that played 24 and won 4 in 2019 and with hardly any additions to the squad he got them to 9 wins from 20 games.  I think that is more than a solid start, I think it is a terrific achievement in year 1.

I agree that with some big name signings for next year, the Titans should have ambitions for the top 8 but that is in the future and what Holbrook has achieved so far is merit worthy without doubt.

Edit: and a quick look at the from guide for 2019 and 2020 tells its own story.  The Titans finished 2019 with a 0-5 record and this season they sit alongside the Panthers with a 5-0 record in the last 5 games.  That is a huge turnaround in confidence and form from what he inherited.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Certainly made a big impression and has got Titans playing very attractive rugby but  you have to take into account the fixtures. Until the last round Titans were 0-9 against top 8 teams but 8-2 against bottom 8 teams. The NRL was a two division league in practice and Titans were the best of a bad bunch.

9 hours ago, Dunbar said:

That's a bit harsh on Holbrook for me Davo.  He took a team that played 24 and won 4 in 2019 and with hardly any additions to the squad he got them to 9 wins from 20 games.  I think that is more than a solid start, I think it is a terrific achievement in year 1.

I agree that with some big name signings for next year, the Titans should have ambitions for the top 8 but that is in the future and what Holbrook has achieved so far is merit worthy without doubt.

Edit: and a quick look at the from guide for 2019 and 2020 tells its own story.  The Titans finished 2019 with a 0-5 record and this season they sit alongside the Panthers with a 5-0 record in the last 5 games.  That is a huge turnaround in confidence and form from what he inherited.

The Titans never threatened the top 8 and were helped by the Broncos,Dogs,Dragons & Cowboys being basket cases & the likes of West’s,Manly throwing the towel in when they couldn’t make the top 8.

On 26/09/2020 at 08:59, Davo5 said:

Always good to see you disagreeing with me, Davo.

Cleary has obviously done very well but it has to be remembered that Penrith has a massive juniors programme and, in that respect, he’s merely drinking from a well dug by others. 

Holbrook has transformed the Titans virtually overnight with barely any recruitment through the quality of his coaching.

Archived