Super League Promotion (Merged Threads)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"We've got a bit of a PR issue lads, in that we're seen as a small-town sport with no ambition and an actual hostility towards anyone who might actually want to attract new fans to the game." "Wh

From the fourth largest city in North America to a satellite town of Wigan. Small towns, small ambitions, small chance of expansion. Great chance of remaining small, parochial and northern. 

Congratulations to Leigh Centurions. If every club in the system had to go through this process then they would be one of the top 12 candidates so full credit to them. I hope they give it a great crac

Posted Images

Just like everyone else Leigh had every right to apply for SL, and for them and their fans today is a great day. Any ire should be directed at the process put in place to select the 12th team.

At least they'll be the best dressed team in cherry and white next season.

• Like 3

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

15 minutes ago, Morris Wanchuk said:

I was hoping for Fev, but pleased it’s a heartland club. Congratulations Leigh. 

I was hoping for Fev too, but not grumbling about Leigh getting it, nor would I have grumbled if it had been Toulouse. And Toronto beat Fev in last year's £1m pound game so they deserved their SL place last year.

Enough of the partisan expansion/heartlands borefest, it's a sport, as much as possible let's decide these matters on the field, especially as the criteria applied to the aspirant clubs have long ceased to apply to some of the clubs in possession of a SL place.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

To precis it for you....

Leigh got the gig.

The world is ending for the expansionist.... leigh bring nowt.... no ambition... insular decision blah blah blah

Fev fans are happy and congratulatory... as are most fans from championship clubs.

Thats about it mate

Indeed it seems that way , I notice the Leeds fans , especially the ones who live further afield seem a bit ' miffed ' , fcuking tuff 

• Like 4

Definitely a safe decision, as some have said on here we are currently in strange times with the pandemic and as a result the panel have chosen the lowest risk option. I’m pleased for Leigh and their fans, if anything it shows that there is no hidden agenda against them, or any other heartland club. Realistically Leigh and Toulouse had the best combination of finance, facilities and existing team strength, however Toulouse does present an additional travel risk at this time and has no previous SL experience, whereas Leigh does have that previous experience.

Of the other candidates London has the previous experience and expansion element but Trailfinders is not fit for purpose in SL and the proposed Wimbledon ground share seemed to be announced as a last minute thing, which in itself may have suggested that the bid was not as well put together as some of the others. London also, along with York, may well have needed to do the greatest amount of squad rebuilding in order to have a chance of survival. Fev have worked wonders with their ground and seem to be a very well run club, once again their lack of SL experience, like Toulouse, may well have counted against them. York may well have been a case of wrong time, it just seems too early for them to have been taken seriously and Bradfords bid must surely have been the weakest, given their recent history and exodus to Dewsbury.

What this means for the sport long term is difficult to say. I would love Leigh to stay up so that one of the weaker SL clubs is pushed out of their comfort zone, however it will be a real challenge for them and I can’t help feeling that the whole exercise is purely a short term fix to get to the new TV deal, then who knows what will happen.

• Like 5
20 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

You were gifted a free pass into super league, You didn't win a place to super league by winning a championship grand final unlike the last 2 teams to get into super league

Your point being what, and we went up last time by finishing second in the middle 8s competing against 4 SL teams.

• Sad 1
29 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

You hope a team will fail??? Wow.

32 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

For those who thought that Robert Elstone was going to bring more money in super league and get a better TV deal reality will hit them hard. Robert Elstone has just shown how clueless and incompetent he his

I thought an independent panel made the decision. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Congratulations to Leigh Centurions. If every club in the system had to go through this process then they would be one of the top 12 candidates so full credit to them. I hope they give it a great crack next year.

I'm proud of the Knights efforts in this process and know that we're a better club for it. Fans, businesses, community clubs, political figures and even the Minster(!) have all got behind the Knights in this process and for that I can't thank them enough. With their continued support we will get there one day soon.

The Championship is going to be a fantastic comp in 2021 and one I'm really excited about! 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

As several posters have pointed out, the Championship - and the other Super League applicants it contains - should (will) be a cracking competition this coming season.

As a lapsed former supporter of one of those teams, Leigh's promotion has rekindled my interest in a strange way and I plan to restart attending games.

Don't know if that's a perverse reaction or not but hey ho, roll on Feb/March 2021

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

if york or toulouse had got the nod i would have most likely got a skysports subscription for next season but leigh? not likely - unattractive unambitious turn off

You know, I cancelled Sky Sports immediately after the GF and had very little intention of subscribing next year, now I am going to have to get it back, so I suppose as far as Sky is concerned we have cancelled each other out, quite a balance don't you think, bye.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Congratulations to Leigh Centurions. If every club in the system had to go through this process then they would be one of the top 12 candidates so full credit to them. I hope they give it a great crack next year.

I'm proud of the Knights efforts in this process and know that we're a better club for it. Fans, businesses, community clubs, political figures and even the Minster(!) have all got behind the Knights in this process and for that I can't thank them enough. With their continued support we will get there one day soon.

The Championship is going to be a fantastic comp in 2021 and one I'm really excited about! 

Gav, firstly, unlucky. 

Secondly, have the unsuccessful clubs today been given any sort of feedback on why their bid ultimately was unsuccessful at all?

15 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

Definitely a safe decision, as some have said on here we are currently in strange times with the pandemic and as a result the panel have chosen the lowest risk option. I’m pleased for Leigh and their fans, if anything it shows that there is no hidden agenda against them, or any other heartland club. Realistically Leigh and Toulouse had the best combination of finance, facilities and existing team strength, however Toulouse does present an additional travel risk at this time and has no previous SL experience, whereas Leigh does have that previous experience.

Of the other candidates London has the previous experience and expansion element but Trailfinders is not fit for purpose in SL and the proposed Wimbledon ground share seemed to be announced as a last minute thing, which in itself may have suggested that the bid was not as well put together as some of the others. London also, along with York, may well have needed to do the greatest amount of squad rebuilding in order to have a chance of survival. Fev have worked wonders with their ground and seem to be a very well run club, once again their lack of SL experience, like Toulouse, may well have counted against them. York may well have been a case of wrong time, it just seems too early for them to have been taken seriously and Bradfords bid must surely have been the weakest, given their recent history and exodus to Dewsbury.

What this means for the sport long term is difficult to say. I would love Leigh to stay up so that one of the weaker SL clubs is pushed out of their comfort zone, however it will be a real challenge for them and I can’t help feeling that the whole exercise is purely a short term fix to get to the new TV deal, then who knows what will happen.

You have hit the nail on the head there will be few of stagnant teams, a little worried and I think a few of there fans are feeling a little threatened. 

• Like 1

A man who doesn't understand what's happening, has happened

Houles: I don't know why they call it SL Europe

Because it sounds good Sylvain, when you're in Europe and PSG are involved.

• ckn locked this topic
  • ckn unlocked this topic