Toronto Wolfpack revival begins as officials line up return this year

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, TheReaper said:

Lol. Who is paying for this? If it's Argyle, why hasn't he paid all his previous shortcomings? Who would work for him if he hasn't? 

I dunno if you've noticed but there's a major global crisis going on that has involved governments taking on to varying extents the wage and utility bills of private companies in an unprecedented fashion.

TWP's inability to access that funding is, alongside the lack of Super League money, the key reason why they are where they are right now. I doubt many players are particularly bitter towards Argyle for that, especially when other super league clubs have been forced to introduce major wage cuts even with the aforementioned financial help.

54 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I dunno if you've noticed but there's a major global crisis going on that has involved governments taking on to varying extents the wage and utility bills of private companies in an unprecedented fashion.

TWP's inability to access that funding is, alongside the lack of Super League money, the key reason why they are where they are right now. I doubt many players are particularly bitter towards Argyle for that, especially when other super league clubs have been forced to introduce major wage cuts even with the aforementioned financial help.

One of the interesting things about Argyle is the way Hunter and LiVolsi(?) turned against him and publicly criticised his behaviour. I suspect some of that was politics, but that may harm him. 

It'll be interesting to see if this is a genuine attempt to restart something, or maybe just finish on far more positive terms. Settling some player wages and staging an event for fans would be far more palatable for Argyle and his pride. Its clear he is a bit of a people pleaser and it's important for him to be liked, so I suspect he is hurting. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

One of the interesting things about Argyle is the way Hunter and LiVolsi(?) turned against him and publicly criticised his behaviour. I suspect some of that was politics, but that may harm him. 

It'll be interesting to see if this is a genuine attempt to restart something, or maybe just finish on far more positive terms. Settling some player wages and staging an event for fans would be far more palatable for Argyle and his pride. Its clear he is a bit of a people pleaser and it's important for him to be liked, so I suspect he is hurting. 

Yeah its difficult to work out how much of that was for show to Super League (who in any case already had their mind made up) or was genuine. 

Would be amazing to see TW return...

A revitalised Toronto/London/Bradford, Ottawa, Newcastle, York, possibly Toulouse... plus a few good quality M62 based teams all in the Championship... 

... that would be a better offer to TV companies in the future.

(We can all dream!)

Just now, GeordieSaint said:

Would be amazing to see TW return...

A revitalised Toronto/London/Bradford, Ottawa, Newcastle, York, possibly Toulouse... plus a few good quality M62 based teams all in the Championship... 

... that would be a better offer to TV companies in the future.

(We can all dream!)

The problem is, as we've seen over the years mate, TV companies aren't overly bothered about city names. They want to televise strong clubs with top players playing in quality games. 

Otherwise we could create a compelling league right now with decent cities. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

The problem is, as we've seen over the years mate, TV companies aren't overly bothered about city names. They want to televise strong clubs with top players playing in quality games. 

FFS Dave... trying to continue on with some positivity!! 😉

(Morning by the way!)

Given the very busy schedule this year,assuming it all goes ahead of course I just don’t see there’s any room for such a match to happen,not wanting to burst any bubbles but that article reads to me as a bit of a hopeful fluff piece and not much more.

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

There is certainly an element of truth about this. A big city name in isolation is just little more than a marketing gimmick that people quickly see through. London playing at a glorified Park pitch in front of a thousand people does nothing for the game and appeals to no one.

Big cities getting the crowds, having backing, signing big names and doing all the marketing that a big club should do to match that status is a different proposition entirely and certainly appeals more to TV companies. Toronto had that appeal, which was pretty evident from the coverage they got from Sky prior to last seasons Super League. Toulouse hopefully have that too, with a few question marks but the signs are good.

Just now, Damien said:

There is certainly an element of truth about this. A big city name in isolation is just little more than a marketing gimmick that people quickly see through. London playing at a glorified Park pitch in front of a thousand people does nothing for the game and appeals to no one.

Big cities getting the crowds, having backing, signing big names and doing all the marketing that a big club should do to match that status is a different proposition entirely and certainly appeals more to TV companies. Toronto had that appeal, which was pretty evident from the coverage they got from Sky prior to last seasons Super League. Toulouse hopefully have that too, with a few question marks but the signs are good.

On your first para, that's right, hence my point about them being strong attractive teams and not just names like London and York. If you can get the combination of both, that is great. 

On the 2nd point, Sky just showed some free content that was provided. They'd do that every day of the week if people give them free content. It isn't a sign of Sky's interest. In fact the coverage wasn't complete in 2019 as TWP stopped funding it to save money. 

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

On your first para, that's right, hence my point about them being strong attractive teams and not just names like London and York. If you can get the combination of both, that is great. 

On the 2nd point, Sky just showed some free content that was provided. They'd do that every day of the week if people give them free content. It isn't a sign of Sky's interest. In fact the coverage wasn't complete in 2019 as TWP stopped funding it to save money. 

I'm not talking about the free content at all,  that is why I said prior to last seasons Super League and it is that build up I am referring to. From what I saw they gave more coverage to Toronto in the build up to the last Super League season than any other team on the likes of Sky Sports News. The signing of SBW got huge news and they were heavily in promos. Toronto clearly offered something new and different that appealed to Sky and big signings made them newsworthy. 

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

I'm not talking about the free content at all,  that is why I said prior to last seasons Super League. I am taking about the build up to the last Super League season. From what I saw they gave more coverage to Toronto in the build up to the last Super League season than any other team on the likes of Sky Sports News. The signing of SBW got huge news and they were heavily in promos. Toronto clearly offered something new and different that appealed to Sky and big signings made them newsworthy. 

I totally agree with this. The free content thing is used by those bitters that resent TWP to distract from the fact that they actually did create more interest and attention for RL in the UK and abroad and they actually did get better crowds in the championship than half super league get.

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

The other problem is that the big clubs and/or the RFL are happy to let the expansion clubs go as soon as they experience any real problems.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I never said they weren't. I commented on them and explained why I had no interest responding further. Rather simple really.

Tommy our other option of "taking no notice" would have been more suited and would not have drawn further comment, but it would also not have appealled to all those converted who also got involved in a lesser way by delivering you the 'likes'. 

Signing off this discussion now.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Tommy our other option of "taking no notice" would have been more suited and would not have drawn further comment, but it would also not have appealled to all those converted who also got involved in a lesser way by delivering you the 'likes'. 

Signing off this discussion now.

Getting upset about other posters getting "likes" is very childish for one not so youthful!

Fair enough, I'm glad you've followed my example on that!

Regardless of people's viewpoints on this , it has to acknowledged that TWP is box office. Whether liked or otherwise, the name generates extended threads on social media, newspaper headlines and TV focus, and that is not restricted to the UK or Canada.

In fact, I read an article yesterday in the New York Times about the creation of a new NHL Northern Division involving a great deal of travel, in which the history of TWP was referenced. 

It's not surprising there are significant numbers of people questioning the view that TWP is simply brushed over and a line drawn under their place in history.

53 minutes ago, Damien said:

I'm not talking about the free content at all,  that is why I said prior to last seasons Super League and it is that build up I am referring to. From what I saw they gave more coverage to Toronto in the build up to the last Super League season than any other team on the likes of Sky Sports News. The signing of SBW got huge news and they were heavily in promos. Toronto clearly offered something new and different that appealed to Sky and big signings made them newsworthy. 

Fair enough, TWP were the story and SBW the big signing, I expect Inglis to fill that content this year. 

My point is though that it isn't the city name that was driving that interest. As proven by the fact that London weren't given the same coverage the year earlier. I think we agree on that. 

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Fair enough, TWP were the story and SBW the big signing, I expect Inglis to fill that content this year. 

My point is though that it isn't the city name that was driving that interest. As proven by the fact that London weren't given the same coverage the year earlier. I think we agree on that. 

I pretty much agree with most of that, although I would suggest that the big city name of Toronto was a very significant factor. It attracted interest internationally, and perhaps in UK terms, the recurring theme of a London team's potential had become rather jaded to many. 

Whatever current perceptions are, the prospect of significant numbers of big city teams in the top leagues remain.

52 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

The other problem is that the big clubs and/or the RFL are happy to let the expansion clubs go as soon as they experience any real problems.

In this case they weren't a strategic expansion club... they merely popped up and allowed in... maybe just to see how it went and if any substance.

Not surprising in this case other clubs and administrators of RL didn't get fully behind. Even though I took a positive interest in Toronto being in the leagues here it never made an iota of sense to have NA club - that is as other commentators seem to think that unless you supported them in everyway they decide you are some sort of bitter little M62 idiot.  For that reasons it seems impossible to have a proper debate on the wider merits or not of expansion into other countries that have never had any  RL in reality against countries that have.

As to expansion previously and those in which RFL/clubs strategically planned yep I would agree with your final sentence

Archived