Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Go on then..... I'm a foody sort so I'm drawn to a decent market and when safety allows, I enjoy a trip and a bimble around a good market town on market day.

Which are the best markets around. I've particularly asked for the north of England for ease of travel, but don't make that preclude any good suggestions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve not been for a few years, but Hebden Bridge when I lived there always had a nice market with a variety of stuff if you timed it right for things like game.

There’s also a lot of places to eat and drink etc and other independent businesses you can help out.

Not a hidden gem obviously or perhaps the cheapest, but a pleasant place to be.

If you’re going to go all that way though I’d research it first to make sure the best of the fresh food is on the market.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only been to this market a couple of times, but, while small, there was some good stuff on offer. Since then, they seem to have added some more new and interesting sellers. The market is monthly, but a lot of the stalls appear at other monthly markets in the area too.

https://hovingham-market.org.uk/market_stallholders.php 

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’ve not been for a few years, but Hebden Bridge when I lived there always had a nice market with a variety of stuff if you timed it right for things like game.

There’s also a lot of places to eat and drink etc and other independent businesses you can help out.

Not a hidden gem obviously or perhaps the cheapest, but a pleasant place to be.

If you’re going to go all that way though I’d research it first to make sure the best of the fresh food is on the market.

There is still good food available on Hebden market, and as you mention, plenty of other options as well. 

https://www.visitcalderdale.com/shop-hebden-bridge-open-market

  • Like 1

Please view my photos.

 

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

 

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

 

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

Skipton's Saturday market is well worth a visit.

 

23 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

I've done the Christmas Market there and it was impressive. A lovely town too.... 

 

Mrs WWD wholeheartedly agrees and dismisses with contempt my suggestions that she might be a wee bit biased.  I make this modest observation on the basis that her mum used to run a cafe less than 100 yards off the High Street, and for a time the family lived over it!  It was in that cafe that Mrs WWD and I first met; truly the way to a man's heart is through his stomach!

Darlington had (I hope still has) a good indoor market for fresh food, as did Burnley.  You could buy "stew 'n' 'ard" at the latter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Thought they were all closed due to Covid?

No, certainly not the outdoor ones (though I don't know about indoor ones)  For instance...

Charter Market - Salisbury City Council - Page 510

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

No, certainly not the outdoor ones (though I don't know about indoor ones)  For instance...

Charter Market - Salisbury City Council - Page 510

Wigan indoor market is open, its rubbish though.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they have a market in the car park at Hull KR's ground every week or so but I think it's mostly cheap tat.

Still, it seems to be fairly productive as regards the Robins' first team signings.

                                    "It started out in innocence, the way that most things do,
                                     a thousand people crammed in one place, but the only face was you"

Link to post
Share on other sites

 i really miss my visits to barnsley market, a great place to wander around and upstairs is a super place to enjoy your dinner with lots of options all cooked  the old fashoned  way like they were at school. castleford is a nice indoor market too and best shepards pie you will ever taste on left as you go in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, silverback said:

 i really miss my visits to barnsley market, a great place to wander around and upstairs is a super place to enjoy your dinner with lots of options all cooked  the old fashoned  way like they were at school. castleford is a nice indoor market too and best shepards pie you will ever taste on left as you go in.

When was the last time you did barnsley market. The new one has changed.... a lot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The last decent markets I went to were Borough Market in London, and La Boquera in Barcelona. The rest, as Old Frightful says above, are full of tat, dreadful tat, that's why Salford Market closed down because it was selling knock-off tat. When Salford Market was on Cross Lane, it was wonderful, on the Precinct it very quickly descended into a dreadful den, selling drugs under the counter.

Where were you last Thursday?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

When was the last time you did barnsley market. The new one has changed.... a lot. 

yep.i only seen it as it was getting finished off,a lot less stalls and from what was said bigger stalls and bigger rents to slim them down. shame as they get coach trips in summer. to be fair halifax as a great market area but not that far north unless your in luton. best outa them so far is Skipton on a farmers market day,great drive out too. My next market when things are sorted is up in  los cristianos mountains with lucky lucky men.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

The last decent markets I went to were Borough Market in London, and La Boquera in Barcelona. The rest, as Old Frightful says above, are full of tat, dreadful tat, that's why Salford Market closed down because it was selling knock-off tat. When Salford Market was on Cross Lane, it was wonderful, on the Precinct it very quickly descended into a dreadful den, selling drugs under the counter.

I do like Borough Market. Yes, there are a few chancers, but that's the same at almost every place. Some of the better stalls have relocated to nearby Maltby Street Market, but that's harder to get to, and Borough still retains many old favourites and good new ones too.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Link to post
Share on other sites

 Doncaster market like most other markets has suffered from the birth of the likes of the Range, B & M, etc,  however it is still one of the best in the North, not far from the bus and train station with car parking at the side, it also has many good pubs and cafe's all around it.

http://www.visitdoncaster.com/things-to-do/doncaster-market

 

 

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Marauder said:

 Doncaster market like most other markets has suffered from the birth of the likes of the Range, B & M, etc,  however it is still one of the best in the North, not far from the bus and train station with car parking at the side, it also has many good pubs and cafe's all around it.

http://www.visitdoncaster.com/things-to-do/doncaster-market

 

 

That's my favourite and I will be there within the hour. The food hall and fish market are still excellent. The traders there have been nowt short of heroic over the last year.

Edited by Robin Evans
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

That's my favourite and I will be there within the hour. The food hall and fish market are still excellent. The traders there have been nowt short of heroic over the last year.

Scott Jones runs one of the stalls on the fish market, he's been a decent rugby league player over the years.

Edited by Marauder

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...