'This is why relegation shouldn't be allowed'

Oxford

52 minutes ago, Oxford said:

This is the stick and that's the right end, Eddie.

If Saints are at home twice to the same side there is something wrong. Making it Saints home at their ground would've been a bit sensible and avoided fans feeling ripped off.

Yes agreed it’s unfair, but it’s not a reason to prevent a championship club from getting promoted. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Yes agreed it’s unfair, but it’s not a reason to prevent a championship club from getting promoted. 

Yes but when promotion can only come about if the opposite happens it means they're both predicated on the same wrong thing.

As I said this was not about P&R it was about the lack of decision going into the competition plus clearly biased fixture arrangements.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Makes you wonder, sport is always about competition, winners get the prize and losers generally end up with nothing, we have a sport with to many clubs for one division so have to be divided into more than one, I'm all for the bottom club in the bottom division having the chance to one day being the top of the tree  just like the top of the tree can soon fall to the bottom.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Ideally 14 teams with 2 up 2 down. But anyway yes, give two progressive Championship clubs a chance. 

Seen it all before, same players being passed between the promoted and relegated clubs. 

I think the idea may have come from Hudgell, but it was certainly promoted by Carter at Wakefield; this SL season should have been 11 teams, with guaranteed promotion next season.

Seemed full of self-interest at the time.

Seems visionary now.

2 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Yes sounds right, relegate 1 6th of the league and set four clubs up for an annual failure race. 

This is the thing that frustrates me with Super League, there is a Grand Final to decide which team wins the comp and then there is a `Grand Final` down the other end of the competition to decide who gets the boot.

All  bloody teams should be competing for the GF at the top. Even the bloody comp out and I don`t care how you do it.

5 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

So Hull KR's home game in round 2 will be played at St Helens and will be against....St Helens. Could they at least have made this a St Helens home game and have Saints travel to Hull later?

Leigh have also drawn the short straw with loop games against Wigan and Warrington.

Already it is safe to say that several clubs will be dead set against anyone being relegated with this skewed fixture list.

There is a formula for loop games, something like one side -the new boys- play last year's first and third-placed finishers and another team -who finished last in 2020- plays second and fourth. 

Obviously this isn't accurate and I have done zero research but there is a method and you get the idea. 

21 minutes ago, dboy said:

I think the idea may have come from Hudgell, but it was certainly promoted by Carter at Wakefield; this SL season should have been 11 teams, with guaranteed promotion next season.

Seems visionary now.

Well when you have to pay £1 million to Leigh it seems just saying their is only 11 Super League teams would have been a lot cheaper

26 minutes ago, dboy said:

Seems visionary now.

Wakefield? Self interest? Surely not. 

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Well when you have to pay £1 million to Leigh it seems just saying their is only 11 Super League teams would have been a lot cheaper

I think you're saying that the the money that has this year been given to Leigh, would have been shared between the 11, so each one of them would have had more? That's correct.

This year, the rationale for giving the "promoted" club a smaller share, is based on last year's Covid-enforced losses - Leigh lost less than a SL club last year.

21 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

This is the thing that frustrates me with Super League, there is a Grand Final to decide which team wins the comp and then there is a `Grand Final` down the other end of the competition to decide who gets the boot.

All  bloody teams should be competing for the GF at the top. Even the bloody comp out and I don`t care how you do it.

Do all yours get to compete for the GF ?

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Wakefield? Self interest? Surely not. 

You're a bit of a dick if that's your opinion. (Possibly a lot of a dick).

Carter is on record, and repeated it yesterday on a fan's forum - the game has to stop being run by clubs, whose only interest is self preservation.

It needs a board of 6 people maximum. Do you see the big clubs giving up their place at the top table? No, of course not.

It is certain "big" names that are holding the game back.

Carter also gave some interesting background to the Equity deal too - very eye-opening = the opening bid valued SL at £240M.

They wanted 25% for £60M - have a guess which clubs blocked any further discussion (clue: it wasn't Wakefield).

If you had £240M, would you buy SL?

Hull KR have won 19 of their last 55 Super League games where all teams had home and away advantage (the 18 season, 19 season and for the first few weeks of 2020), 34.54% of their games, or 0.691pts per game if you want to use the Super League 2020 way of doing things. Maybe it’s not the lack of home advantage that’s Hull KR’s problem and it’s just down to them being a bit rubbish?

3 minutes ago, dboy said:

Carter is on record, and repeated it yesterday on a fan's forum - the game has to stop being run by clubs, whose only interest is self preservation.

It needs a board of 6 people maximum. Do you see the big clubs giving up their place at the top table? No, of course not.

Carter also gave some interesting background to the Equity deal too - very eye-opening = the opening bid valued SL at £240M.

They wanted 25% for £60M - have a guess which clubs blocked any further discussion (clue: it wasn't Wakefield).

Where does Carter post out of interest and what’s his name on the particular forum? I’d be interested to read what he says. 

8 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Where does Carter post out of interest and what’s his name on the particular forum? I’d be interested to read what he says. 

It was on yesterday's monthly fans Zoom Q&A.

It ends up om Trinity TV, but I couldn't tell you how to access it without subscription (though lots of content goes on for "free" - maybe that will).

11 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

To roughly repeat something he said - to have a 6-person board running the game, Wakefield would give up their place on the board, as long as he felt someone on the board would speak up the club.

Do you see McManus, Hetherington, Lenaghan et al doing that???

Now...which club's are holding the game back?

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Hull KR have won 19 of their last 55 Super League games where all teams had home and away advantage (the 18 season, 19 season and for the first few weeks of 2020), 34.54% of their games, or 0.691pts per game if you want to use the Super League 2020 way of doing things. Maybe it’s not the lack of home advantage that’s Hull KR’s problem and it’s just down to them being a bit rubbish?

Maybe I need a new hobby...

Can’t see us having relegation in another compromised season. I’ve no fear about my team and ending up at the bottom either, just doesn’t make sense - and better to have clarity up front I think 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

3 hours ago, dboy said:

So 25% of a £40m tv deal would mean money back in 6 years but then you had the finding fee and solicitors etc say £10m. Then every year the SL is 25% short of its tv deal, or if you borrow £60m interest will be about £2m pa, or 5% of a tv deal.

So would this money be paid upfront, if so what do clubs not currently in SL get in the future? Great for us, Leigh, get £5m then watch Fev get FA the following year.

Why don’t the clubs themselves put up £5m per club, interest is only 150k pa with the promoted clubs taking the debt of the relegated

Archived