WC Tickets

These are still not in general sale, and there is no date for it starting on the website either. Now the govt have announced that restrictions will be lifted in June, and all adults will be vaccinated long before November, I’d have thought now would be a good time to get them on sale when people don’t have plans and are looking forward to life getting back to normal. In summary I want to get my tickets for the London semi final. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, yeah me too. I imagine they're working on it from an insurance point of view with regards to if it gets cancelled/reduced capacity. I wouldn't worry I'm sure they'll have them on sale in a couple of months.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

There was a meeting on Friday, where sticking to the current schedule was deemed the priority. Given the meeting was on Friday and we only received a roadmap a few days earlier for the outlook for the year, it’s little surprise that there aren’t any tickets on sale yet. 

Same email here. My response was I am waiting until later in year to buy tickets. If a good proportion responded the same, I'd suspect they will be building their strategy around that.

8 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I got an email today asking me if I intended to buy tickets and if so when. 

They also asked if tickets were kept at 2020 discount levels in April whether I would be more likely to buy then?

Likewise - same email.

My response was that having already bought a couple that I wouldn't be being any more until much later in the year no matter what the offer now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The fact that the Womens Rugby Union World Cup has just been postponed until 2022 is the elephant in the room.

The mingling of players, support staff and officials from multi nations who all have separate timetables for vaccine progress casts a major doubt on the RL event going ahead.

As pressure grows on the UK Government to combat the threat of variant virus strains entering the country, stringent border controls will be adopted until all associated nations have fulfilled their own respective vaccine programmes.

The halt in RL World Cup Promotion is a direct response to a strong possibility that the tournament will be pushed back to 2022.

The fear of a third wave fed by mass spectator events is a massive risk to Government popularity and one they will be loath to gamble upon.

To be honest it's safer for our population to wait a little longer for opening up major events, 2022 will be a much more manageable period Risk Assessment wise.

9 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I got an email today asking me if I intended to buy tickets and if so when. 

They also asked if tickets were kept at 2020 discount levels in April whether I would be more likely to buy then?

I got that email too

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

1 hour ago, Ramon Rojo said:

The fact that the Womens Rugby Union World Cup has just been postponed until 2022 is the elephant in the room.

The mingling of players, support staff and officials from multi nations who all have separate timetables for vaccine progress casts a major doubt on the RL event going ahead.

As pressure grows on the UK Government to combat the threat of variant virus strains entering the country, stringent border controls will be adopted until all associated nations have fulfilled their own respective vaccine programmes.

The halt in RL World Cup Promotion is a direct response to a strong possibility that the tournament will be pushed back to 2022.

The fear of a third wave fed by mass spectator events is a massive risk to Government popularity and one they will be loath to gamble upon.

To be honest it's safer for our population to wait a little longer for opening up major events, 2022 will be a much more manageable period Risk Assessment wise.

The UK is vastly further ahead with vaccines than New Zealand and unlike them wouldn't be reliant on overseas travelling fans to boost crowds - hence why the UK has reportedly offered to host the entire 2020(1) Euros with crowds this summer.

The 2 major obstacles to the World Cup going ahead are vaccine resistant variants and the RLPA saying they don't want to.

I'd love the sport to be bold and actually think of the bigger (international) picture for once.

If I could do anything with it now, I would announce a postponement to June/July 2022. RL is not a cold winter sport and I think our biggest tournament should be played in summer months. We should do whatever it takes, and postpone the club seasons. We have seen this is possible, and fans will still turn out for the NRL if the season runs a month later. 

2021 has too much uncertainty - I mean if you are not even selling tickets right now, how can you sell this to sponsors, broadcasters etc. when they don't really know what they will be getting. 

Summer 2022 allows you to pretty much guarantee putting on the best tournament you can. Sticking with this idea of hundreds/thousands of people from Aus/NZ coming over this Winter is futile IMHO.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'd love the sport to be bold and actually think of the bigger (international) picture for once.

If I could do anything with it now, I would announce a postponement to June/July 2022. RL is not a cold winter sport and I think our biggest tournament should be played in summer months. We should do whatever it takes, and postpone the club seasons. We have seen this is possible, and fans will still turn out for the NRL if the season runs a month later. 

2021 has too much uncertainty - I mean if you are not even selling tickets right now, how can you sell this to sponsors, broadcasters etc. when they don't really know what they will be getting. 

Summer 2022 allows you to pretty much guarantee putting on the best tournament you can. Sticking with this idea of hundreds/thousands of people from Aus/NZ coming over this Winter is futile IMHO.

There’s also a big hole in the broadcasting, with the Football World Cup being moved to November/December time. 

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

There’s also a big hole in the broadcasting, with the Football World Cup being moved to November/December time. 

Yes - they have already acknowledged that if they did delay, they couldn't just delay 12m as it would clash with FIFA's world cup. 

It feels like this could be one of those things that could be done out of necessity that could be a positive for the future of the sport and this tournament. 

I do think warm-weather tournaments are more vibrant and fun - a festival atmosphere. Not many festivals are held in miserable Nov/Dec.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yes - they have already acknowledged that if they did delay, they couldn't just delay 12m as it would clash with FIFA's world cup. 

It feels like this could be one of those things that could be done out of necessity that could be a positive for the future of the sport and this tournament. 

I do think warm-weather tournaments are more vibrant and fun - a festival atmosphere. Not many festivals are held in miserable Nov/Dec.

Initially I thought you were bonkers but there’s some merit to summer tournaments in the U.K./France actually.

This tournament has been described as The Festival of World Cups, which is fine and something I’m not knocking but “festival season” is typically April-August time and not November/December. It would certainly scan better with this tagline and could be played upon more.

I think I’d be more inclined to buy more tickets, closer to the events, knowing the weather was to be decent than in its normal position, especially after Australia v Fiji in 2013. 

12 hours ago, Eddie said:

These are still not in general sale, and there is no date for it starting on the website either. Now the govt have announced that restrictions will be lifted in June, and all adults will be vaccinated long before November, I’d have thought now would be a good time to get them on sale when people don’t have plans and are looking forward to life getting back to normal. In summary I want to get my tickets for the London semi final. 

All adults in the UK will be vaccinated but I'm not sure we're ready for an influx of folk from the rest of the world - even if it's only players.

But - if it's going to be postponed, I'd rather it be sooner than later.  I'm not used to these World Cups at such regular intervals anyway.  Rugby League generally thrives on random.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

23 minutes ago, Dave T said:

In a perfect world I would completely agree and can imagine on this side of the world the will and flexibility to do it would be there. Absolutely no way the NRL would shift anything to incorporate a WC in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Griff said:

All adults in the UK will be vaccinated but I'm not sure we're ready for an influx of folk from the rest of the world - even if it's only players.

But - if it's going to be postponed, I'd rather it be sooner than later.  I'm not used to these World Cups at such regular intervals anyway.  Rugby League generally thrives on random.

To be fair the european club football competitions have been going on throughout the lockdown, it can be easily done. And I doubt even if there hadn’t been a pandemic that there would have been many fans coming from abroad anyway. 

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Initially I thought you were bonkers but there’s some merit to summer tournaments in the U.K./France actually.

This tournament has been described as The Festival of World Cups, which is fine and something I’m not knocking but “festival season” is typically April-August time and not November/December. It would certainly scan better with this tagline and could be played upon more.

I think I’d be more inclined to buy more tickets, closer to the events, knowing the weather was to be decent than in its normal position, especially after Australia v Fiji in 2013. 

In 2013 we ended up giving a few tickets up (including the final) - and this may sound soft, but because after going to around 10 or 12 games, it got to the point where it became a bit of a drag standing out in freezing cold weather. This included the likes of Workington and a double header in Wembley.

Rugby League for me if about watching a game in nice(ish) weather, having a pint in a relatively relaxed atmosphere. Maybe hitting a beer garden before and after the game. Seeing what's going on in the fanzone. That completely changes for a winter World Cup. 

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

In 2013 we ended up giving a few tickets up (including the final) - and this may sound soft, but because after going to around 10 or 12 games, it got to the point where it became a bit of a drag standing out in freezing cold weather. This included the likes of Workington and a double header in Wembley.

Rugby League for me if about watching a game in nice(ish) weather, having a pint in a relatively relaxed atmosphere. Maybe hitting a beer garden before and after the game. Seeing what's going on in the fanzone. That completely changes for a winter World Cup. 

I agree. I remember a fanzone at the Olympic Stadium that was effectively a few stands in a car park. It absolutely belted it down, there was no cover in the fanzone and it was poorly attended. Awful planning for a game in November in England anyway and we retreated and found a pub and spent money there instead. I dare say others did too. Compare that to Wembley or even Magic Weekend and I’ve stood in fanzones/outside bars etc with fans of other clubs and chatted with them. 

I enjoy the first couple of months of the regular season less, too. Largely due to the weather. Once it warms up a bit after Easter, I tend to enjoy the matchday experience more and I’m more willing to get into a ground early and watch the Academy game than I am in February, for example. 

Archived