4 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

The plan was to use the athletics stadium, immediately adjacent to the main Etihad Stadium, owned by the council and a venue for the Women's Grand Final and North West Counties finals previously, rather than the Academy Stadium which is owned by Man City directly for the purpose of their women's team and development squad.

I know but if we are talking about doing it again you'd ask city for the academy stadium.  Noone wants to watch sport behind an athletics track. Unless you got roll in stands behind the goal. 

Also,  people on here comparing Toronto to a Mancjester. Toronto spent hundreds of thousands of pounds transporting teams over, had no central funding and had to pay a premium to get players to move.

Manchester would have central funding, have to pay transport costs and have easy access to the player pool of elite SL Academy teams. There is no comparison. 

Edited by ShropshireBull

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I think a team had a plan (was it manchester rangers?) playing out of the modern man city campus, they also wanted to link in with the colkeges and university.. The RFL said no thanks.

Schools and Community clubs to begin with and that's hard work

Salford are working on that, there are some new clubs in the fold.

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

There needs to be more love for Salford, Swinton, Oldham and Rochdale.

The clubs that we have in other words.

There is lots of love for those clubs, but they’re the people who can help themselves, if it’s possible.

Salford have obviously been having a purple patch lately, Swinton seem stronger than they were a couple of years back, Oldham got promoted and Rochdale have ambitious new owners. All in all the pro/semi-pro game in GM seems a bit stronger than it was 3 years ago, from an outsider’s point of view. 

• Like 1

Make no mistake. I'd like to see a competitive SL side in Manchester. That would require a lot of things that I don't think the game has. By "the game" I mean the RFL and SL. Sure, York and Newcastle may well be able to do it through organic growth but it will be tough and if it takes too long, the owners may well not have enough stamina and money. Somehow, Catalans have managed it but it's been rocky, but London seem to be hanging in by their fingernails, and not in SL at present, either.

Manchester needs

1. The will to do it and see it through.

2. The money to do it to see it through.

3. The ownership and management to do it and see it through

4. The players to do it and see it through.

Four legs good - two legs bad

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Make no mistake. I'd like to see a competitive SL side in Manchester. That would require a lot of things that I don't think the game has. By "the game" I mean the RFL and SL. Sure, York and Newcastle may well be able to do it through organic growth but it will be tough and if it takes too long, the owners may well not have enough stamina and money. Somehow, Catalans have managed it but it's been rocky, but London seem to be hanging in by their fingernails, and not in SL at present, either.

Manchester needs

And 5. The volunteers to see it through. It takes the planets aligning to get all of that together. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JohnM said:

Manchester needs

Aye, you need a couple of million to start but the club could be break even at championship level, let alone SL where they could mop up like Leeds commercially. 500,000 playing budget first season to get to Championship. Season after get sponsors on board, average 2000 fans a game and you are at break even in a stadium as good as York's.  

Edited by ShropshireBull
On 10/04/2021 at 08:44, Mr Plow said:

I think if the RFL were to decide key areas to invest in for growth in the UK I’d be looking at Newcastle, London, Midlands and Manchester. Biggest city on the M62 corridor. It does seem to me from an outsiders view that there are some clubs just happy with being at the level they’re at. 

As I said previously, Salford have been the success story of the past couple of years. If they had crowds on 7-8k on a regular basis I think people would have a different view of them

RL did invest in said areas then Lewis left and Big Nige pulled the funding from said areas!

Reforming GB for no good reason was also damaging!

• Like 1

Rochdale has never considered itself part of Manchester.

Rochdale Hornets evidently sold their soul when they cashed in by flogging their Athletic Grounds stadium to the Morrisons Supermarket Group in the 80's.

Rochdale, historically, was a once proud town but it's been continually mismanaged by incompetent freeloaders posing as Council Leaders. Local Sport was the last thing on their agenda.

Irrespective of the Council blunders Hornets had a Willy Wonka Golden Ticket to solidify a genuine vibrant future with the Morrisons dosh. Sadly they foolishly squandered it or controversially directed it where it wasn't intended.

They've been playing out soulless lower league encounters amidst the echoes of incredibly small crowds at the local football stadium ever since.

There are new people with fresh objectives for a turnaround at the club now. I wish them well and hope Hornets can get a bit more pride and local recognition back.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, redjonn said:

mind you I can never understand why a sport couldn't capitalise on being a non big city sport.   

OOH, now the guys & girls from Leeds are going to get upset, and Hull, Both City's. I would lock your door.

Where were you last Thursday?

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/swinton-to-remain-at-heywood-road-for-at-least-three-more-seasons/

Swinton the other side of Manchester for three years and look weakest team in Champ with Oldham.  Could have only a struggling Salford left in top two divisions.  

Talk years ago of Swinton new stadium, could ganging up with Salford  (not a merger) to share a new home be a long term option?

6 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

A Manchester RL side playing out of the Etihad complex was ideal.

With the Man City owners pumping in 5m a year?

What is the chance of Man City being involved like this? In Spain, this is quite the norm. 

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

18 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

What is the chance of Man City being involved like this? In Spain, this is quite the norm. 

Zero

37 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

Not sure I want a brutal dictatorship pouring blood money into the game tbh.  Possible to do without them. 

6 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Not sure I want a brutal dictatorship pouring blood money into the game tbh.  Possible to do without them. 

That has already happened in the game, but that's for another thread.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

2 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

A Manchester RL side playing out of the Etihad complex was ideal.

Yeah they could call themselves Manchester Rangers,I’m sure they’d be welcomed with open arms.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Yeah they could call themselves Manchester Rangers,I’m sure they’d be welcomed with open arms.

Are Manchester Rangers still around as a community club?

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Swinton doing some work in Manchester

Great work from Swinton. I think they should target Manchester for fans as well as community clubs. Hopefully they can become Manchester's team.

I know they considered changing their name but could still target Manchester as Swinton.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, JM2010 said:

Great work from Swinton. I think they should target Manchester for fans as well as community clubs. Hopefully they can become Manchester's team.

I know they considered changing their name but could still target Manchester as Swinton.

They actually changed it.

They quickly changed it back though! 😳

• Like 1
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg
9 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

They actually changed it.

They quickly changed it back though! 😳

Like posting the wrong message on Whatsapp and then deleting it before anyone reads it

• Haha 1