Jump to content

Recommended Posts

A quick google search reveals a number of good NRL centres coming off contract who might fancy a stint in SL. Dylan Walker, Josh Morris, Dane gagai, Dale Copley, Tautau Moga (ok I know the last two are not amazing - but still decent players).

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

His main problem is that, like Luke Thompson, he's joining a club that are currently a bit rubbish.

Breaking in Australia. Looks like a double pick up from the Tigers with Hastings going too. 

Sadly, Wigan have gone from 4 time World Club Champions to an NRL nursery club. Hopefully they can sign Gildart back in a few years. 

8 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

A quick google search reveals a number of good NRL centres coming off contract who might fancy a stint in SL. Dylan Walker, Josh Morris, Dane gagai, Dale Copley, Tautau Moga (ok I know the last two are not amazing - but still decent players).

Don't want to drift off-topic but your mention of Dale Copley caught my eye. I've always thought of Copley as a squad-filler, injury-cover, type player but he has played 144 games for 56 tries. Now if you consider that includes 4 seasons with the Titans, that's a very good strike rate. And he only played 1 season with the Roosters when they came 15th.

It might be interesting to see him play an extended stretch in a strong team.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to see him go, though we knew it was always his plan. Either we have not realised that a team needs to have 13 players including 7 backs, or we will promote or recruit. My money is on the latter. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

A quick google search reveals a number of good NRL centres coming off contract who might fancy a stint in SL. Dylan Walker, Josh Morris, Dane gagai, Dale Copley, Tautau Moga (ok I know the last two are not amazing - but still decent players).

Morris & Gagai are all class but neither would come to SL. Walker is decent but nothing special but would probably go well in SL.

As for Copley & Moga - this is the kind of bang average garbage SL can do without. Utterly pointless signings with no exceptional talent who offer absolutely nothing you wouldn't get from a young British Centre and at a fraction of the cost.

Its like the news story linking Katoa with Saints - why !! he's absolutely awful and not even as good as the club already has with youngsters Smith & Eaves. I wish people, and half baked Journo's in particular would stop thinking of SL as a 2nd rate competition and a home for the dregs of the NRL. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Hope he takes his homesickness pills with him they struggle not living in wigans rarefied air. 

Is it not reasonable to expect this has been addressed by Wigan, Bateman, etc explaining the issues to him? If they have not, then In addition, he should by now have explored them. Is it not also true that the Tigers should have done the same? 

It would not be a good look to see him returning early claiming homesickness given the current and previous examples. 

Four legs good - two legs bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Morris & Gagai are all class but neither would come to SL. Walker is decent but nothing special but would probably go well in SL.

As for Copley & Moga - this is the kind of bang average garbage SL can do without. Utterly pointless signings with no exceptional talent who offer absolutely nothing you wouldn't get from a young British Centre and at a fraction of the cost.

Its like the news story linking Katoa with Saints - why !! he's absolutely awful and not even as good as the club already has with youngsters Smith & Eaves. I wish people, and half baked Journo's in particular would stop thinking of SL as a 2nd rate competition and a home for the dregs of the NRL. 

On paper, some ageing or average potential nrl signings are not exactly what we want but they can add to SL.

Copley and Moga maybe bang average for the NRL but they are no real different to Nequama and Hurrell before they came to SL both of whom were the 2020 dream team centres of the year.

Some of the best players in SL are NRL squad/fringe/reserve grade players. We shouldn't dismiss these types of signings just because most people here haven't heard of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Scubby said:

I look forward to Exiled Wiganer removing him from contention for future England squads. His form is bound to suffer and those pesky Aussies might get to know his game - pah!

He will be dead to me. I already think of him as Oli Heighington. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

A quick google search reveals a number of good NRL centres coming off contract who might fancy a stint in SL. Dylan Walker, Josh Morris, Dane gagai, Dale Copley, Tautau Moga (ok I know the last two are not amazing - but still decent players).

Copley and Moga sound like perfect candidates for the Catalan dragons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, AB90 said:

On paper, some ageing or average potential nrl signings are not exactly what we want but they can add to SL.

Copley and Moga maybe bang average for the NRL but they are no real different to Nequama and Hurrell before they came to SL both of whom were the 2020 dream team centres of the year.

Some of the best players in SL are NRL squad/fringe/reserve grade players. We shouldn't dismiss these types of signings just because most people here haven't heard of them.

There's  a reason not many people have heard of Copley & Moga - because they've done nothing of note throughout their careers. Hurrell & Naiquaima have both represented their countries multiple times and in KN's case it the national captain. Both a clear step up from the likes of Copley & Moga who offer nothing that you couldn't get from a British player 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I always considered Bibby as a straight replacement for Gildart. Oli would have gone end of 2020 if offers had come in with a transfer fee.  None did so he's here 2021 until his contract runs out. As for his replacement, Bibby as said above but  lot of Wigan fans rate Jake Wardle and prefer him to King, others prefer King.

What is obvious after the season so far is that Wigan need a top class goalkicker and backs who can scoot from dh and make ground coming out of their own 10-20 mtr area. Lam has known this all year yet has not done anything to rectify the problem. I don't now think there's a Wigan fan who thinks Lam will be at the club next year. We started the season with most of our threequarters missing so what does Lam do? Send Hankinson, a centre, out on loan. His interview after the Hull defeat showed him looking beyond clueless. 

My backs for Wigan next year with just those who are at the club or are about to sign would be - Field, Manfredi, Hankinson, Hardaker, Marshall, Williams, Smith. That's on the assumption that French will have gone and Leuluai retired. 

Gildart will be missed but not as much as this year. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

There's  a reason not many people have heard of Copley & Moga - because they've done nothing of note throughout their careers. Hurrell & Naiquaima have both represented their countries multiple times and in KN's case it the national captain. Both a clear step up from the likes of Copley & Moga who offer nothing that you couldn't get from a British player 

They may be a step up but I wouldn't say a 'clear' step up. They are there or there abouts the standard of Naiquaima and Hurrell (and Moga has played for Samoa).

I'm just saying that they are similar or better standard to some very good SL players that have come from the NRL - Teveta Satae, Ligi Sau, Kelipi Tanginao, Carlos Tuimavave, Luke Yates, David Fafita, Willie Isa etc.

I'm sure Saints would be happy to take some of the above names.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, AB90 said:

They may be a step up but I wouldn't say a 'clear' step up. They are there or there abouts the standard of Naiquaima and Hurrell (and Moga has played for Samoa).

I'm just saying that they are similar or better standard to some very good SL players that have come from the NRL - Teveta Satae, Ligi Sau, Kelipi Tanginao, Carlos Tuimavave, Luke Yates, David Fafita, Willie Isa etc.

I'm sure Saints would be happy to take some of the above names.

And herein lies the problem with SL and our National Team. The competition over here is flooded with bang average overseas players. There's probably 60+ of these guys in SL right now. Just think how much better our National team could be with a player pool of 60+ more English players to choose from playing at SL level every week.

I'm not against overseas players coming here but most (not all) only do so because they can't get a regular spot in an NRL team and they know SL clubs will throw good money at them instead of investing more in their own juniors.

This is in part also down to our P&R system where clubs need to perform every year to stay in SL so their less inclined to spend time & money in developing young players because they don't have the luxury of giving them time to develop for fear of relegation.

The current number of permitted overseas players is far too high and a much lower number (say 2 or 3) would not only reduce the overall numbers & increase the number of eligible England players, but should (in theory) make clubs be far more selective in which overseas players they bring in

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

And herein lies the problem with SL and our National Team. The competition over here is flooded with bang average overseas players. There's probably 60+ of these guys in SL right now. Just think how much better our National team could be with a player pool of 60+ more English players to choose from playing at SL level every week.

I'm not against overseas players coming here but most (not all) only do so because they can't get a regular spot in an NRL team and they know SL clubs will throw good money at them instead of investing more in their own juniors.

This is in part also down to our P&R system where clubs need to perform every year to stay in SL so their less inclined to spend time & money in developing young players because they don't have the luxury of giving them time to develop for fear of relegation.

The current number of permitted overseas players is far too high and a much lower number (say 2 or 3) would not only reduce the overall numbers & increase the number of eligible England players, but should (in theory) make clubs be far more selective in which overseas players they bring in

Yeah, it's a tough one to balance I guess. 

I personally don't buy the whole, if we reduce the amount of foreigners from SL the English nation team will improve. There are far more 'non Australian' players playing for Aussie clubs than 'non English' players playing for English clubs. 

And for good English talent, the cream generally always rises to the top. Most of the time these 'bang average' imports are taking spots from English players that will never be good enough to play for England.

Quick question - You guys signed Pasi, Thompson and Mata'tuia this year. Were you disappointed that Saints did that? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AB90 said:

 

Some of the best players in SL are NRL squad/fringe/reserve grade players. We shouldn't dismiss these types of signings just because most people here haven't heard of them.

Indeed, it’s not like Austin or Hastings set the NRL alight before they came over here, and nobody would say they haven’t enhanced the competition. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

I always considered Bibby as a straight replacement for Gildart. Oli would have gone end of 2020 if offers had come in with a transfer fee.  None did so he's here 2021 until his contract runs out. As for his replacement, Bibby as said above but  lot of Wigan fans rate Jake Wardle and prefer him to King, others prefer King.

What is obvious after the season so far is that Wigan need a top class goalkicker and backs who can scoot from dh and make ground coming out of their own 10-20 mtr area. Lam has known this all year yet has not done anything to rectify the problem. I don't now think there's a Wigan fan who thinks Lam will be at the club next year. We started the season with most of our threequarters missing so what does Lam do? Send Hankinson, a centre, out on loan. His interview after the Hull defeat showed him looking beyond clueless. 

My backs for Wigan next year with just those who are at the club or are about to sign would be - Field, Manfredi, Hankinson, Hardaker, Marshall, Williams, Smith. That's on the assumption that French will have gone and Leuluai retired. 

Gildart will be missed but not as much as this year. 

You answer your own question.   Wigan have had an entire threequarterline out injured, then you claim that Wigans backs are not good at bring the ball up!  Isa, Farrell and Bibby cannot bring the ball up!??  Really?

No doubt it would be ideal for Wigan and other clubs to have various replacements handy but it also happens that we have had a pandemic and no fans for a year.  Its not surprising clubs look to cut costs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Indeed, it’s not like Austin or Hastings set the NRL alight before they came over here, and nobody would say they haven’t enhanced the competition. 

Could you not say the same for some SL players going the other way - Sutton and Hodgson wernt exactly top SL players but as soon as they stepped onto an NRL pitch they were world-beaters apparently. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AB90 said:

 

Copley and Moga maybe bang average for the NRL but they are no real different to Nequama and Hurrell before they came to SL both of whom were the 2020 dream team centres of the year.

 

you owe toby king an apology

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Yeah, it's a tough one to balance I guess. 

I personally don't buy the whole, if we reduce the amount of foreigners from SL the English nation team will improve. There are far more 'non Australian' players playing for Aussie clubs than 'non English' players playing for English clubs. 

And for good English talent, the cream generally always rises to the top. Most of the time these 'bang average' imports are taking spots from English players that will never be good enough to play for England.

Quick question - You guys signed Pasi, Thompson and Mata'tuia this year. Were you disappointed that Saints did that? 

Paasi & Mata'utia - proven internationals so yes happy with those signing's. Thompson, jury is definately still out on that one. Cant say he was a signing that filled me with any sort of excitement and think there were other players out there they should have looked at first. Guys like McMeeken were available and would have preferred Saints went for him rather than Thompson.

 

As for English talent rising to the top, these guys need time to develop but all too often they get discarded for an average overseas player because of the fear of having a bad season and being in a relegation scrap.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought Copley was decent without being outstanding, Moga maybe less so, but in this situation where Wigan aren't going to spend big money on luring one of the young talented centres from another SL club (or have the ability to) they seem like a good short term option, with no obvious replacement coming through the youth system.

Gagai is an origin player so doubt he'd consider SL just yet, but think both Morris and Walker would be good signings. And both are better than what Wigan currently have.

Where in SL could Wigan realistically pick up a centre better than Morris or Walker?

  • Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Paasi & Mata'utia - proven internationals so yes happy with those signing's. Thompson, jury is definately still out on that one. Cant say he was a signing that filled me with any sort of excitement and think there were other players out there they should have looked at first. Guys like McMeeken were available and would have preferred Saints went for him rather than Thompson.

 

As for English talent rising to the top, these guys need time to develop but all too often they get discarded for an average overseas player because of the fear of having a bad season and being in a relegation scrap.

Paasi has played one International game and sat out much of 2020. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Paasi has played one International game and sat out much of 2020. 

Like other Warriors players he was forced to choose between his job and his family in 2020. You can hardly blame him for wanting to put his family first and choose to sit out the season rather than be forced to not see them for an unknown length of time.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

I always thought Copley was decent without being outstanding, Moga maybe less so, but in this situation where Wigan aren't going to spend big money on luring one of the young talented centres from another SL club (or have the ability to) they seem like a good short term option, with no obvious replacement coming through the youth system.

Gagai is an origin player so doubt he'd consider SL just yet, but think both Morris and Walker would be good signings. And both are better than what Wigan currently have.

Where in SL could Wigan realistically pick up a centre better than Morris or Walker?

If they have a couple of really good kids coming through but they just aren't quite there yet someone like Morris could be fantastic, as long as he realises why he is there. If he can pass on some of his experience and hints and tips for being a top level pro then this could be huge. 

Its one of the reasons i like the Inglis signing for Warrington, not just for this year but he could make King a better player (if we can keep him) and the likes of Ashton, Thewliss et al. 

not all aged imports are bad IF they buy into the long term vision. If they dont you may as well give a youngster some game time and sink or swim to an extent.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

Paasi & Mata'utia - proven internationals so yes happy with those signing's. Thompson, jury is definately still out on that one. Cant say he was a signing that filled me with any sort of excitement and think there were other players out there they should have looked at first. Guys like McMeeken were available and would have preferred Saints went for him rather than Thompson.

 

As for English talent rising to the top, these guys need time to develop but all too often they get discarded for an average overseas player because of the fear of having a bad season and being in a relegation scrap.

Paasi and Mata'tuia are proven internationals? If you say so!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Like other Warriors players he was forced to choose between his job and his family in 2020. You can hardly blame him for wanting to put his family first and choose to sit out the season rather than be forced to not see them for an unknown length of time.  

So hardly a proven international and a bloke who’d sat out much of a year, through his own choice, rightly or wrongly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...