Where is Rimmer

2 hours ago, Impartial Observer said:

The person who keeps posing this question on Twitter has an anti everything RL agenda and seems to be an ex journalist who has fallen out with Martyn Sadler by the looks of some of their exchanges.

Hey that's my old nemesis af from rlfans you appear to be talking about!

Not a journalist as far as I know, and he has lots of wrong opinions, although I do tend to agree with much of his criticism of Martyn S.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JohnM said:

1. Exactly what do  posters want Rimmer to have done?

2. Why not the same accuatation against club owners and execs and managers.?

Leadership starts at the top, and now more than ever the game needs competent people to lead the game and show true leadership.  Super League owners already think they are above and beyond the rest of the game, proved by their move to separate Super league inc. from the RFL to take more control of the game and finances   ......and how did that work out !!

Ralph Rimmer was a controversial appointment to start with, and I can't speak for anyone else, but it always felt to me that he was appointed because he was the was the only 'suitable' option for the salary on offer. It could be argued that the rot started under Nigel Wood's tenureship, although he did get Sky to extend the TV deal.

I want the head of our organisation to be well groomed, enthusiastic, confident well spoken person, who captures the imagination of potential sponsors and supporters and sell the game to a wider audience, unfortunately as someone else has already pointed out, we have someone who looks like a startled rabbit and would be more at home on Country File, that coupled with his boring monotone voice just adds to the perception of RL being a sport for men with flat caps and whippets!

Before that we had 'big Nige' who resembled Cyril Smith in his ill-fitting black suit .....hardly portrays the 'sexy' hard hitting sport that is rugby league, a sport full of well toned very good looking male and female athletes, which should appeal to a younger audience, but for whatever reason doesn't !

and what to do with Ralph? well he isn't going anywhere, and in his shoes why would he ?

He will just sit back and take his salary as he knows the game can't afford to pay up his contract and/or pay his replacement, or better still get a team of experts in to forensically examine the state of the game and formulate a plan to work our way out of it.

Unfortunately, unless something changes in the very near future, the professional game is *****, and the community game will also suffer once the 'Pay to Play' fees are brought in next season   

Don't mistake a full-on media presence for real leadership, though. Just being liked by the fans (most of whom don't post on here anyway so we don't know their views) is not an indication that someone is a good leader. Believing what you do about him and his salary does not make it true, just as a belief in a deity does not mean one exists. 

10 hours ago, M j M said:

Not a journalist as far as I know, and he has lots of wrong opinions, although I do tend to agree with much of his criticism of Martyn S.

What? Didn't realise you and Martyn didn't get on...

12 hours ago, Impartial Observer said:

The person who keeps posing this question on Twitter has an anti everything RL agenda and seems to be an ex journalist who has fallen out with Martyn Sadler by the looks of some of their exchanges.

Rimmer on the day last week when the announcement from Aus/NZ that they were pulling out of the WC went to london to lobby to the Minister for sport to try to help with trying to resolve the situation.    

Yes, he is a tiresome individual, but because he is being negative about RL he has plenty clapping what he says, even when it is complete nonsense. 

10 hours ago, M j M said:

I disagree with most of Sadler's views, but some of the stuff this guy moans about is embarrassing.

57 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

I want the head of our organisation to be well groomed, enthusiastic, confident well spoken person, who captures the imagination of potential sponsors and supporters and sell the game to a wider audience, unfortunately as someone else has already pointed out, we have someone who looks like a startled rabbit and would be more at home on Country File, that coupled with his boring monotone voice just adds to the perception of RL being a sport for men with flat caps and whippets!

When I have been in his company I have always found him to be very enthusiastic and confident. He cannot help the way he speaks or looks. Also mentioning how Woods look isn't good, if you wish criticise people for the job they do but it is not relevant if they are large or small or anything else   

He'll be back for breakfast. 😉

10492210_10152730498404655_622716695585030145_n.jpg

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

1 hour ago, Impartial Observer said:

When I have been in his company I have always found him to be very enthusiastic and confident. He cannot help the way he speaks or looks. Also mentioning how Woods look isn't good, if you wish criticise people for the job they do but it is not relevant if they are large or small or anything else   

do you think he's doing a good job?

is the game in a good place under his leadership?

do you think RL has an image problem, both at leadership level and general perception of the game?

2 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

is the game is a good place under his leadership?

do you think RL has an image problem, both at leadership level and general perception of the game?

Like any leader he gets some things right, like the money he secured from the government last year to secure the future of teams, and he get things wrong though many of the decisions will be decided by the board which he may agree with or not.

We are in the middle of a pandemic, we haven't lost any pro clubs despite all the doommongers last year saying that many will close down, would it be any better or worse with someone else in charge? Who knows

The game has an image problem when people take delight in talking the game down, club owners, players, journalists, supporters. We have players coming out saying stop covid testing players without realising these are government instructions and football, cricket and other sports are having the same issues with games cancelled. 

27 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

is the game in a good place under his leadership?

The last question is highly relevant.  A good few years ago, Clare Balding, now President of the Rugby Football League,  asked that fans become less "chippie".  We can all see her point, yes?

42 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

The game has an image problem when people take delight in talking the game down, club owners, players, journalists, supporters. We have players coming out saying stop covid testing players without realising these are government instructions and football, cricket and other sports are having the same issues with games cancelled. 

So covid comments aside, do I deduce from your comments that you think the game in general doesn't have an image problem and its just a load of high profile 'moaning minnies' complaining for the sake of it ?

Just now, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

So covid comments aside, do I deduce from your comments that you think the game in general doesn't have an image problem and its just a load of high profile 'moaning minnies' complaining for the sake of it ?

I think the first five words from my quote answer your question, the covid bit was just an example from this week. Last week it was the disciplinary process. I think some journalists do talk the game down for the sake of it, one who sells his stuff on Patreon seems to revel in the negativity saying the game is dying which would be ironic as if it did die he would lose his income. The union media continually talk up their game telling us that everything is brilliant when it is clearly not but the people who only take a passing interest see only the positivity, the people who only have a passing interest in RL would only see doom and gloom. 

Rimmer wrote the job spec for his current role.

The role wasn’t advertised

He was the only candidate

The game is facing numerous very serious challenges not just the RLWC and I would expect Rimmer to have some profile but in the main show some serious leadership. Instead he has disappeared and remained mute

8 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Rimmer wrote the job spec for his current role.

The role wasn’t advertised

He was the only candidate

Really?, this is an extract I have just found from YEP on his appointment

Six months later, and after what the governing body call a “thorough and robust recruitment process” led by an external and independent recruitment consultancy attracting a field of “exceptional” candidates from inside and outside of the sport, he has it.

1 hour ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

So are you saying that it has and they aren't?
(We can all play at this game, you know.)

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Leading Rugby League in this country, not sitting back quietly while the game dies on its ######, while raking in £400k a year. 

Do you know what he is actually doing at present or do you expect a weekly report entitled "What I did at the RFL"? Some people seem to confuse a lack of news with a lack of action.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived