Euro XIII

Doubt we'll ever see this league get off the ground. Was going to tough even pre covid. Everything has gone completely quiet and the Rugby League Europe propaganda machine (podcast) seems to be no more. 

I do hope we see some sort of officially sanctioned, properly funded Europe wide development competition at some point though. It would need to include teams only in developing countries and not teams in England 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On paper this looked a good idea just the wrong timing with Covid happening and all.

Its a shame if all these clubs want to continue that the RFL cannot step in somehow and see over a sustainable time how these clubs can continue to develop and expand the game.

Good to see the Dutch League still going 

On 01/08/2021 at 14:20, Eddie said:

Good to see the sixth team in this year Yanto. Why did the Griffins only play 5 games though? 

Griffins hosted the first event.Took some heavy beatings and decided to pull out of the competition with a view of re grouping next season.

9s is a different game to full 13 and some teams are not suited to the shorter version. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, thebrewxi said:

So as the first draft is supposed to be happening now in Brisbane, can we officially pronounce this dead? 

Been gone since the first postponement really. There was plenty of interest in it however from across Europe so clearly there exists a strong appetite for international RL. Hopefully that can now be harnessed to support the official Eurpoean 9s competition this summer.

Edited by Whippet13
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

Been gone since the first postponement really. There was plenty of interest in it however from across Europe so clearly there exists a strong appetite for international RL. Hopefully that can now be harnessed to support the official Eurpoean 9s competition this summer.

It’s a big shame but understandable given the circumstances. Would love to see it resurrected at some point. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

It’s a big shame but understandable given the circumstances. Would love to see it resurrected at some point. 

The ERLF 9s is the way forward, at least for 2022 whilst Leagues get properly up and runing again. It is a very sensible idea and if the stars align (I can get time off work) I hope to attend. Lots of growth to come in Europe over the next few years if we get it right, the seeds are there.

6 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

The ERLF 9s is the way forward, at least for 2022 whilst Leagues get properly up and runing again. It is a very sensible idea and if the stars align (I can get time off work) I hope to attend. Lots of growth to come in Europe over the next few years if we get it right, the seeds are there.

Is the 9s not 2023?

• 7 months later...

Here we go again... 🙄

It's fair to say that since the launch of @euro_13s in 2020 the world has been a crazy place. We have had a pandemic that confined us to our homes, robbed us of our freedoms and sadly many of us lost loved ones. 

2 years later and as we come out of those dark days the game of rugby league  is much weaker across Europe. Strong teams have disappeared, others have been weakened and many key ambassadors of clubs have left the game. 

The game needs a competition like @euro_13s more than ever and so we are planning to launch the inaugural competition in 2023. 

The competition will have a revised format and we will have a new group of teams but we will have an inaugural competition that will honour  key architect and co founder to the @euro_13s project, Tiziano Franchini sadly passed away before the competition was realized.

Stay tuned

https://www.facebook.com/101409081604589/posts/pfbid02gvnESPz9qBzpfzV3RTL15EpbF6tn3hQ85xmMVB2DSWHwR19oD37RUTfhZJsfHAE3l/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, langpark said:

Here we go again... 🙄

It's fair to say that since the launch of @euro_13s in 2020 the world has been a crazy place. We have had a pandemic that confined us to our homes, robbed us of our freedoms and sadly many of us lost loved ones. 

2 years later and as we come out of those dark days the game of rugby league  is much weaker across Europe. Strong teams have disappeared, others have been weakened and many key ambassadors of clubs have left the game. 

The game needs a competition like @euro_13s more than ever and so we are planning to launch the inaugural competition in 2023. 

The competition will have a revised format and we will have a new group of teams but we will have an inaugural competition that will honour  key architect and co founder to the @euro_13s project, Tiziano Franchini sadly passed away before the competition was realized.

Stay tuned

https://www.facebook.com/101409081604589/posts/pfbid02gvnESPz9qBzpfzV3RTL15EpbF6tn3hQ85xmMVB2DSWHwR19oD37RUTfhZJsfHAE3l/

I saw that on Facebook earlier. I completely understand your concerns but I want it to happen so much that I’m prepared to believe it 😬. Me and you having a beer while we watch Budapest v Stavanger @langpark, can’t wait 👍

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

I saw that on Facebook earlier. I completely understand your concerns but I want it to happen so much that I’m prepared to believe it 😬. Me and you having a beer while we watch Budapest v Stavanger @langpark, can’t wait 👍

Sounds good, but as it stands, there is not a single RL club in all of Hungary at the moment. So, as I have said since the start, why not start by planting some real seeds first?

• Like 2

Eddie, no need to wait for Euro XIII, you could have watched a Swedish club against a Czech club today, if you'd made the trip to Malmö to watch Skåne Stags against Mad Squirrels Vrchlabí. 38-34 for the home team.

• Like 1

Just stick with developing the established competitions. Balkans Super League is perfect for the region. Montenegro now have 3 clubs. At most you can maybe have a knockout competition for champions of each league.

50 minutes ago, JonM said:

Eddie, no need to wait for Euro XIII, you could have watched a Swedish club against a Czech club today, if you'd made the trip to Malmö to watch Skåne Stags against Mad Squirrels Vrchlabí. 38-34 for the home team.

I saw that on Facebook also, sounds ace, were you there? Tbf the Czech game seems to be quite strong from what I’ve seen so if Skane beat them they must be decent. 

38 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

Just stick with developing the established competitions. Balkans Super League is perfect for the region. Montenegro now have 3 clubs. At most you can maybe have a knockout competition for champions of each league.

Agree in principle, but someone in Brussels is going to be more interested in the Gorillas than the Dorcal Spiders, even if the latter are more established. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Agree in principle, but someone in Brussels is going to be more interested in the Gorillas than the Dorcal Spiders, even if the latter are more established. 

Can't they just play in the Netherlands? Euro XIII is dead and I don't think it was ever sustainable. Red Star are the best club in Serbia and the name alone is worth more than Brussels Gorillas.

5 hours ago, NW10LDN said:

Can't they just play in the Netherlands? Euro XIII is dead and I don't think it was ever sustainable. Red Star are the best club in Serbia and the name alone is worth more than Brussels Gorillas.

Fairly sure they did play in the Dutch league for a season or two. Maybe it was too far to travel for an amateur club. 

6 hours ago, Omott91 said:

Nothing excites me more than a year long anticipation and build up to another exciting new comp that may never start.

Feels eerily similar.

Time to get on the podcasts and putting up links to merch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)