Grand final - will it be full?

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

How will you know its on Capital FM though???

I have had the horrendous experience of being forced to listen to it at work occasionally. It’s the radio equivalent of Love Island.

Thankfully it was a brief period in my working life and it will never happen again. 

1 hour ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

At least I'll be at the game. Which is a lot more than can be said for you. 

You've never been to a proper rugby game in your life you tedious pathetic child.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, dkw said:

You've never been to a proper rugby game in your life you tedious pathetic child.

Dream on son. Have been to far more grand finals than you!

(Because I follow the game in general, not just the local team from my village) 

Thinking about - I have spent thousands of euros attending Grand Finals alone.... Never mind regular matches, internationals etc. Flights/hotels etc .... Not just walking down 1 street in Cumbria. 👍🏾

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Thinking about - I have spent thousands of euros attending Grand Finals alone.... Never mind regular matches, internationals etc. Flights/hotels etc .... Not just walking down 1 street in Cumbria. 👍🏾

Euros? Don’t you live in Scotland? 

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

And there we have the real Flyingjock man, not only hates SL and the English but lower league RL and the towns that keep RL alive as well by the look of it ...... we all knew but tonight you have confirmed.

So you spent 1000s of Euros going to Grand Final🤔🤔.... err you pay for Grand Final seats in £ - as others have said - you have never been to a RL game in your life - let alone one from your beloved NRL.

On 10/09/2021 at 21:29, Tommygilf said:

I must admit, Shed 7 and James were a bit "retro"...

Even Blossoms, who are a good band, aren't really a "sport stadium band".

I was at the "James final" and I was really surprised how good their set was. One of the best sports event acts I have seen. I thought they were excellent.

As others have said above, it probably appealed to the core demographic in the stands (basically the Weatherspoons crowd) and this possibly made the atmosphere better, as the supporters got into it. Problem is getting a band in who will attract new faces, and not the stereotypical 40-somethings on their one day trip a year outside Workington. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I was at the "James final" and I was really surprised how good their set was. One of the best sports event acts I have seen. I thought they were excellent.

As others have said above, it probably appealed to the core demographic in the stands (basically the Weatherspoons crowd) and this possibly made the atmosphere better, as the supporters got into it. Problem is getting a band in who will attract new faces, and not the stereotypical 40-somethings on their one day trip a year outside Workington. 

How many Euros did the James final (as you called it - i always remember the teams that played....) cost you lad??

9 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Do you ever post about any of your own experiences old man??

Regularly lad.

Been a bit sparse over lockdown but been to a few SL games this year and the CC final and the usual games you laugh at (thats league 1 where I'm heading tomorrow).

Been last 3 World Cups (supported your team at a few matches and made some good friends from lads from the South of Scotland)and used to be a Roosters member when I lived in Oz for a few years and go and watch them when ever I'm over.

Just amazing how more and more on here are sussing you don't actually follow RL or go to games...

On 09/09/2021 at 20:54, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I've booked my tickets.

Will it sell out/nearly sell out as usual?  Imagine if Catalan got a new name on the trophy in front of a great crowd and France vs England is competitive in decent French crowd it would be a good end to a difficult year 

What do we think? 

But it’s not France v England is it. RL fans see what they want to see. Catalan depend massively on NRL and English talent, whilst few of there actual French players are of International quality.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

As for the crowd. If The final has a mix of either Saints, Warrington, Leeds or Wigan it will probably be near capacity.

Catalan fans will do their best I’m sure but 5,000 would be the max I suspect. No shame in that as Manchester is a long way away, it is next door for the other clubs.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

You've never been to a Rugby League game in your life. The evidence is there in literally everything you write on here, it's a whole new level of being wrong. 

• Thanks 1

Anyway, back on topic….

If it’s two local teams in the final - 45k at most would be my guess.

If it’s Cats in the final, I’d put it closer to 30k unless there’s some sort of special late deal available to encourage people to attend.

Might sound like a bit of a gloomy prediction, but I’m just being a realist. Looking at the hype surrounding Raducanu’s tennis victory I can only wonder what opportunity we’ve lost by not staging a World Cup to boost the game’s presence in the British mindset. Next year no one will care or even know about RL. 

Edited by Cheshire Setter
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Anyway, back on topic….

If it’s two local teams in the final - 45k at most would be my guess.

If it’s Cats in the final, I’d put it closer to 30k unless there’s some sort of special late deal available to encourage people to attend.

Might sound like a bit of a gloomy prediction, but I’m just being a realist. Looking at the hype surrounding Raducanu’s tennis victory I can only wonder what opportunity we’ve lost by not staging a World Cup to boost the game’s presence in the British mindset. Next year no one will care or even know about RL. 

I think 45k is the minimum, and that's if Cats make it and, as has been said in here already - that won't look bad on TV so I'd be happy with that.

One poster said Cats fans restricted by the distance to Manchester without considering the French/UK covid restrictions and RL fans current attitude to attending games.

If Cats don't make it i would expect around 55k given Covid attitudes - that would be a great effort. If we count the Flyingscotsman cardboard cut out (as he hates SL) then we could say 55k + 1

1 minute ago, Mr Frisky said:

If Cats don't make it i would expect around 55k given Covid attitudes - that would be a great effort. If we count the Flyingscotsman cardboard cut out (as he hates SL) then we could say 55k + 1

I attended my first game for two years yesterday. It was the final home game of a good season for Warrington, and an important send-off for a lot of our long-serving players, coaches and backroom staff. There were only 7000 there. I remember only 10 years ago us getting 7000 for a televised cup game against lower league opposition.

I hope you're right about 55k, but I just get the feeling there's going to be a bit of apathy from neutrals over attending the final. COVID seems to have created a 'meh' attitude over getting out and doing things in the real world unless it's really necessary. I don't think it's anything to do with fear of catching a virus, I think it's just that we've become used to staying indoors in a bubble and living life through the TV or internet.

Anyway, as I say, I hope I'm wrong and you're right and the current attendances are not a predictor of the grand final.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I didn’t go to the GF where James played. IIRC it was the Ben Flower one?

But I do remember it as my bed was on fire with passionate love and the neighbours were complaining about the noise from above.

Straight up.

Who was using your bed while you watched the match?

11 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I didn’t go to the GF where James played. IIRC it was the Ben Flower one?

But I do remember it as my bed was on fire with passionate love and the neighbours were complaining about the noise from above.

Straight up.

But was she on top? That's the important question...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

But it’s not France v England is it. RL fans see what they want to see. Catalan depend massively on NRL and English talent, whilst few of there actual French players are of International quality.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

As for the crowd. If The final has a mix of either Saints, Warrington, Leeds or Wigan it will probably be near capacity.

Catalan fans will do their best I’m sure but 5,000 would be the max I suspect. No shame in that as Manchester is a long way away, it is next door for the other clubs.

Huh? What bubble are you bursting?