Jump to content

A message from NZ.


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

You well know what I am getting at Dave.

I disagree with your point - the game is constantly being tweaked with, showing a lack of confidence in it. 

I get what you are saying somewhat, but I dont think the reason we don't do a good job of selling ourselves is because we think it's good so people will come. They are not stupid - they see with their own eyes that people are not coming in great numbers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


56 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Yep watching it - not exactly upto the standard and entertainment of the 2 SL Saturday magic games but it will suffice to kill some time - roll on next week's SL playoffs.

Really, that game was not up to the standard of 2 magic games?

Rugby League Football does not get much better than the game in show today, no disrespect to our teams but I don't think they could have lived with either of those two today.

My opinion of course.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I disagree with your point - the game is constantly being tweaked with, showing a lack of confidence in it. 

I get what you are saying somewhat, but I dont think the reason we don't do a good job of selling ourselves is because we think it's good so people will come. They are not stupid - they see with their own eyes that people are not coming in great numbers. 

And the reason?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I wouldn't be able to name very many Power Rangers or WWE wrestlers but I imagine Harry's grandson can. That doesn't mean those two things are struggling for survival, it just means I aren't interested in them, just like NZers aren't interested in English RL.

Stop thinking your nor equipped for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Stop thinking your nor equipped for it.

Have you messaged your grandson to explain that he just needs to improve his understanding of the TV guide yet?

  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And the reason?

It's loads of reasons, but I'm not going along with this game of posting responses and them being met with one-line questions. If yiu don't want to engage in proper discussion, that's fine. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So when NRL was dropped by a channel on the UK did they also feel that was going to be dead in 10 years?

There's nothing worse in RL than people revelling in misery and predicting it's demise.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have recently listened to a Podcast and read an article featuring Mr Ralph Rimmer and from what he is alluding to there are several big name organisations queuing up to align themselves with our game and invest in its future.

Your Grandson has no idea Harry.

 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Ah, another dead in 10 years thread. 

 

They started over 100 years ago RL is a dying sport, they remind  me of the "the world is going to end" bloke wearing a wooden board outside of wilderspool. He will be right one day but he won't be here to see it. 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As someone in Aus I've thoroughly enjoyed watching SL throughout the year, witnessed plenty of cracking games across the season with contests often going down to the wire. I believe you have a much better interpretation of the much maligned 6-again rules, in particular retaining penalties for inside the 10m infringements. Lack of scrums and the play-the-ball situation are the only jarring rule-based issues from a spectator perspective.

At times I've honestly preferred catching SL games over the NRL, the NRL has had a massive problem with competitiveness and major blowouts which has generally rendered at least 2-3 games a week as not worth watching. Sure there have been blowouts here and there in SL but outside of a hamstrung Leigh the rest have managed to compete. Salford finishing 11th with 7 wins from 22 games tells that story well. Lower-placed sides have managed to snag top scalps or create exciting games against the top teams - something that just hasn't happened over here this season.

The most frustrating thing about following SL here is that unless your team is in one of the 2 games shown by Sky a week you can't watch them play. It's also obviously very rare to be able to watch a game live, so I imagine those two factors combined would make it very difficult to drive any sort of regular viewership outside of diehards/expats in Aus/NZ.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

So the issue is more that Harry's grandson is subscribing to the wrong channel?

Let's not be too harsh on Harry's grandson here, it is easier to do than you think. 

I was halfway through the  game this morning when I noticed that Kim Kardashian was playing for the Panthers against the Eels... turns out I was watching the E! Channel by mistake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

29 years old and went there in Feb '19, after only knowing RL in this country.

Your assumptions are like you, way off the mark.

Well the other point is - it depends on where he lives in NZ - what if he lives in a big RU area. Then by definition most people he will talk to (and even the local press) may not like RL so he's getting a biased opinion.

I once took a New Zealand work mate to West Cumbria for the weekend during the RU WC and none of the pubs were showing any RU WC games- Did he text home to say RU is finished in the UK? - No he just acknowledged that he was in an area of the UK that loves RL so no one wanted to go to the pub to watch a RU match.

Edit to say - the next day we went to keswick on the drink which is full of southern people who moved to keswick and all the pubs shows the WC games - he filled his boots watching it and I just got very drunk (and bored)

Edited by Mr Frisky
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

So was SL ever on Spark? 

Spark's site only advertises the World Cup and Sky Sport advertises Live Super League coverage. 

Well according to this page on their website "RLWC2021 will be Spark Sport’s first foray into Rugby League".

https://www.sparknz.co.nz/news/SS_RLWC2021/

But can we trust their website over Harry's grandson?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

We all know how the standard of our competition is viewed upon in Australia and to compound that I have just recieved a message from my grandson who lives in Auckland:-

"The feeling over here is that SL won't be around in 10 years time it is a complete sinking ship, they have stopped broadcasting it on Spark Sport this year (sports subscription channel) it's a joke over here"

Make that of what you will.

 

 

They were saying that after the 2000 world Cup. People down their aren't the brightest

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, UTK said:

As someone in Aus I've thoroughly enjoyed watching SL throughout the year, witnessed plenty of cracking games across the season with contests often going down to the wire. I believe you have a much better interpretation of the much maligned 6-again rules, in particular retaining penalties for inside the 10m infringements. Lack of scrums and the play-the-ball situation are the only jarring rule-based issues from a spectator perspective.

At times I've honestly preferred catching SL games over the NRL, the NRL has had a massive problem with competitiveness and major blowouts which has generally rendered at least 2-3 games a week as not worth watching. Sure there have been blowouts here and there in SL but outside of a hamstrung Leigh the rest have managed to compete. Salford finishing 11th with 7 wins from 22 games tells that story well. Lower-placed sides have managed to snag top scalps or create exciting games against the top teams - something that just hasn't happened over here this season.

The most frustrating thing about following SL here is that unless your team is in one of the 2 games shown by Sky a week you can't watch them play. It's also obviously very rare to be able to watch a game live, so I imagine those two factors combined would make it very difficult to drive any sort of regular viewership outside of diehards/expats in Aus/NZ.

You are obviously one of the few clever folk living down there well done

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Dunbar said:

What I really want to know is how popular Nicki Minaj's cousin's friend thinks Super League is in Trinidad.

He's now more of a union fan having progressed from Steedens to Gilbert eight panels.

  • Haha 2

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, latchford albion said:

He's now more of a union fan having progressed from Steedens to Gilbert eight panels.

He's certainly got balls I'll give him that.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...