Bath Gladiators Statement

31 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Agreed, there eems to be a lot of "half truths" in there, similar to what we would often see during the euro 13s myth. 

Also, last week they forfeited a home match duee to lack of players. Now they are saying they will "boycott" their next away match? Really? 

Let's face it Bath are a shambles. But they do have a point....

All Golds despite evidence to the contrary have always seen themselves as being special. I don't know how many announcements they've made about all these amazing things they are going to do, but in reality they are also a shambles. Paying players in a community league is just a joke. If the RFL are serious about growing the game in the South then they need to sort out issues like this. The southern conference is slowing turning into a complete joke. 

• Like 1

If only they had looked at the setting up a non heartland club thread:

15 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Same applies with player recruitment. Obviously players are going to move clubs at times, but non-heartlands teams are often precariously balanced. There's been occasions where I've heard clubs go "oh we are gonna be really strong this year, we got 3 players from X club, 3 players from Y club and 3 players from Z club." - but if that means that X/Y/Z clubs collapse cause they've lost their best and most committed players, what does that do for your league (and your own club indirectly)?

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Damien said:

If only they had looked at the setting up a non heartland club thread:

Wait for the All Golds statement complaining they have no one to play against. Come to think of it All Golds and Worcester Jaguars could compete in the their own professional league. 

4 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

He says the RFL fund the All Golds? Is that true?

I too would love to have sight of  the 'well documented ' financial support provided by the RFL as alleged by Bath to the All Golds.   Can anyone in the know please post it on here?

I expect the complaint is just a load of cobblers.

The real problem lies perhaps in the rules of all  RFL ' owned ' competitions in that technically players are  'open 'and can be rewarded. ( like in the  RFU ) even at these levels of ability.

By contrast the NCL prohibits match payments for a number of reasons -  not least being player pool retention , competition integrity and member club's own  financial protection as well as avoiding HMRC complications........

I also expect that neither Bath nor the All Golds .  paid or otherwise , would get  anywhere near the right side of a  result if  pitched against any of the NCL's 48 clubs......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Wait for the All Golds statement complaining they have no one to play against. Come to think of it All Golds and Worcester Jaguars could compete in the their own professional league. 

If the League 1 (South) nonsense that people go on about on here ever actually happened, they're exactly the sort of clubs that would be signing up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, del capo said:

I too would love to have sight of  the 'well documented ' financial support provided by the RFL as alleged by Bath to the All Golds.   Can anyone in the know please post it on here?

I expect the complaint is just a load of cobblers.

The real problem lies perhaps in the rules of all  RFL ' owned ' competitions in that technically players are  'open 'and can be rewarded. ( like in the  RFU ) even at these levels of ability.

By contrast the NCL prohibits match payments for a number of reasons -  not least being player pool retention , competition integrity and member club's own  financial protection as well as avoiding HMRC complications........

I also expect that neither Bath nor the All Golds .  paid or otherwise , would get  anywhere near the right side of a  result if  pitched against any of the NCL's 48 clubs......

Others on here before have pointed to this issue: Southern clubs need to pay something because the competition for rugby players is so strong, and union clubs are free with the cash.

Whereas the NCL is such a high quality competition that players want to be in it. (Or is it shamateur?) 

• Like 1

On 20/05/2022 at 12:31, Toby Chopra said:

He says the RFL fund the All Golds? Is that true?

The RFL have funded the salary of All Golds’ Director of Rugby. 

He in turn has been able to oversee many initiatives in and and around Bristol. Not to suggest the RFL should be doing this but just stating what I know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

He in turn has been able to oversee many initiatives in and and around Bristol. Not to suggest the RFL should be doing this but just stating what I know.

What is the logic behind this funding?

I have no qualms about the RFL strategically funding posts in development areas if they are to grow and develop the game in that area. On the face of it though a Director of Rugby seems weird but the role may be wider encompassing than the title suggests.

18 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Who is he?

Do the All Golds do any development work around the Bristol area?

Paying a few union players or enticing players from other clubs with match payments is a waste of money in my opinion.

If the All Gold's have any ambition they need to help set up other clubs in and around Bristol with a focus on juniors. This would be a better use of their money.

I've said before that the only way the SCL can be successful is if the regional leagues below them are strong and keep expanding 

Edited by JM2010