Changing who you support

58 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Probably can't say I remember much about my birth but lived in Westleigh until 19 got wed moved to Warrington never looked back. 

Proper Leythers born in firs. Check your passport 😂😂

Westleigh? God's green Acre with a dark twist 👍

Huddersfield,Huddersfield reserves,Huddersfield Under,23,18,16 all the way down to Huddersfield tea ladies batley once when they wore Huddersfield shirts. Anything else sacrilege bit like supporting a team from somewhere else than where you born eh!

17 minutes ago, Championi said:

Huddersfield,Huddersfield reserves,Huddersfield Under,23,18,16 all the way down to Huddersfield tea ladies batley once when they wore Huddersfield shirts. Anything else sacrilege bit like supporting a team from somewhere else than where you born eh!

This exactly, to desert your birthright is abhorrent and I would wager that 99.9% of those who switch allegiance are bandwagon riders.

42 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

Proper Leythers born in firs. Check your passport 😂😂

Westleigh? God's green Acre with a dark twist 👍

Not much green when i grew up there. And there were more guns and knives than an southern American get together. 

21 hours ago, daz39 said:

Yep, my Cousin.

Used to come and watch Fartown with us and was even interviewed in Open Rugby magazine wearing his Fartown shirt, wore it to death too while working at Butlins in Skegness with me in the mid 90's.

Obviously we grew up, got on with our lives and the next time i saw him was when i got on a bus to go to Odsal to watch Fartown take another hammering when who did i see on the bus clad in a Bradford Bulls shirt, Bradford Bulls scarf and Bradford Bulls bandana?? Yep, the very same lad i went to Fartown games with.

Obviously very aghast at this i asked him WTF he was wearing that for, his reply was "i'm a bulls fan now mate", "why?" i asked, "Cos Fartown are ###### now".

This is a guy who watched us in the 2nd and 3rd divisions in crowds of just over 1,000 but he deserted then when they got into Super League to glory hunt rather than staying with us!!!

Needless to say he isn't a Bradford fan now either!!!!

I also know of many football fans who are now 'Town' fans after their recent exploits in the Premier League despite them being Man Utd/Liverpool/Man city fans for more years than i care to remember!!

Absolutely baffles me why grown men or women would do this!

So who does he support now? Hopefully they have a long lasting shirt

1 minute ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Not much green when i grew up there. And there were more guns and knives than an southern American get together. 

Now we know this is fabricated - dont know where I was born was bad enough but ignoring Westleyths lush green delights is something else.

2 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Risley does not constitute a move to Warrington.

Right in the middle of Warrington although Risley only had small en suites so couldn't accommodate me. 

2 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Now we know this is fabricated - dont know where I was born was bad enough but ignoring Westleyths lush green delights is something else.

It took a while for the slag heaps to grass over. 

1 minute ago, David Shepherd said:

I'll watch any game of RL, but I could never get passionate about a game that didn't involve Fev. 

Other than internationals, don't think I'd ever pay to watch anyone else.

What about Miss Victoria Leyton of Benidorm

1 minute ago, sweaty craiq said:

Slag Heaps??  Do you mean the amusement parks ???

Leigh was never short of decent parks, westleigh, lilford, Pennington and firs were very good. 

Remembering all the furore and bitterness caused by the potential merger of C*s, Trin, and Fev, I think it's fair to say that very few fans of the a love clubs would change allegiance. The non-merger was one of the few things that fans of these clubs have ever agreed on!

• Like 1

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

Andy Mazey seems to change who he supports frequently….. in fact it goes beyond support and extends to ownership. Still when you can buy a club for less than the price of admission at some clubs then switching allegiance becomes a financial no brainer. 

5 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Andy Mazey seems to change who he supports frequently….. in fact it goes beyond support and extends to ownership. Still when you can buy a club for less than the price of admission at some clubs then switching allegiance becomes a financial no brainer. 

Andy wants to be involved at the top of whichever club, he is not in a position to usurp the Chairman of his hometown club, maybe one day perhaps!

3 hours ago, Cw25 said:

Changed my NRL team a few times

That's a bit like having a second team to support though.  In the past, at various times, mine has been Saints, Hull KR, Hull FC, Wire and probably Wigan now.  But every Super League game I watch the overriding factor is how will the result effect Wakefield.

• Like 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

When Leeds United were in danger of going bust I had a discussion with my mate about who we would support when we couldn't go to Elland Road. Despite us both being from York and having gone to City games back in the day, the only conclusion is that we would have to support the phoenix club in Leeds as there was no other option.

Sticking a pin in a map of Canada three years ago to decide where to go on holiday, I ended up in Winnipeg and went to a few Goldeyes baseball games where I had a brilliant time. Lovely stadium and a great team at that time. Had no intention of becoming a fan because I wanted to visit as many other baseball teams as I could. Nope.....now I'm a fan and have to face  up to returning to this less-than-lovely City if I want to go back to Canada.

Got into RL because going to York games was a way to get out of the house on a Sunday afternoon (in 1977-79). Then left for university in Coventry and lost touch with the game - York went bust soon after of course, emerging as Ryedale York later.

Got back into RL when Coventry Bears were formed and it was fantastic to be able to watch the game in my adopted home town.  

The launch of Midland Hurricanes started some interesting conversations because technically it is a new team and the Bears are still going. I have switched allegiance though because I think it's important to keep the League 1 project going with its importance (I believe) to expansion of the game.

Ideally I'd like to be going to both games but age and infirmity has prevented me from catching the Bears yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

During the dark times where there was a chance of the Bulls going under, a lot of people asked me who id support if we did go out of business.  My response was always the same, id be done with RL in this country. Ive stood on the terraces at odsal since i was a boy over 30 years ago, and still dont miss a game home or away.  The club is engrained in me no matter how bad things get.  No way i could ever support another team under any circumstance. 

Edited by Ragingbull
  • Like 5