Never heard of Leigh??

"I have to be honest and say I had not really heard of Leigh before Euro 2022," said Daan Schippers of the Dutch Football Association before the Greater Manchester town hosted the Netherlands last week. "I know about Wigan next door because they used to have some good Dutch players in the Premier League, but Leigh? Not so much."

3 hours ago, Scubby said:

Imagine being a teenager, cursing your luck being brought up in Leigh.

Then one summer day in July, hundreds of Swedish women - smiling and singing - come strolling down your street.

Not many knocking about today , I've just walked through the fan zone , more stewards than fans , it's a bit grey and drizzly today , most probably at the beer tent outside the stadium now they know where it is 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Not many knocking about today , I've just walked through the fan zone , more stewards than fans , it's a bit grey and drizzly today , most probably at the beer tent outside the stadium now they know where it is 

Or still walking from Wigan station

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Seems about 1,000 of the Swedes from the group games have gone home, but this at least gave scope for more locals to turn out with the two general sales earlier in the week (both sold out within an hour) as I saw tons of familiar faces tonight. Fantastic atmosphere once again all the same. Shame my punt on Belgium at 20/1 didn’t come in 😂 

71B59C45-4533-4A5D-8761-5C0A59AB060C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Seems about 1,000 of the Swedes from the group games have gone home, but this at least gave scope for more locals to turn out with the two general sales earlier in the week (both sold out within an hour) as I saw tons of familiar faces tonight. Fantastic atmosphere once again all the same. Shame my punt on Belgium at 20/1 didn’t come in 😂 

71B59C45-4533-4A5D-8761-5C0A59AB060C.jpeg

Highest crowd of the four (thanks @GUBRATSfor the correction) tonight (according to wiki).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 22/07/2022 at 17:53, JohnM said:

"I have to be honest and say I had not really heard of Leigh before Euro 2022," said Daan Schippers of the Dutch Football Association before the Greater Manchester town hosted the Netherlands last week. "I know about Wigan next door because they used to have some good Dutch players in the Premier League, but Leigh? Not so much."

"Humble Pie" is a delacy in Utrect I hear, even if it does get stuck in the throat!

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Do a bit of research Scubby, Atherton Railway station is on the same line as Wigan and only 3.5miles from the Sports village.

...and a whole era behind...😀

Disclaimer: LSV looks to be a good stadium in a good location, and Leigh itsself seems to have improved hugely since we lived in Atherton 1968 -1970. However,  it would be a shame to miss an open goal.

Edited by JohnM

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

...and a whole era behind...😀

Disclaimer: LSV looks to be a good stadium in a good location, and Leigh itsself seems to have improved hugely since we lived in Atherton 1968 -1970. However,  it would be a shame to miss an open goal.

Atherton is now a favourite night out of many Leythers , plenty of fancy ale/gin bars down the high street 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Atherton is now a favourite night out of many Leythers , plenty of fancy ale/gin bars down the high street 

Really ?  I may need to show my face on Night. 

Stockton Heath becoming too expensive. I miss Bent and bongs and a fight in the Pretoria or George 🤣🤣

Is Fletchers still open ? 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Snowys Backside said:

Really ?  I may need to show my face on Night. 

Stockton Heath becoming too expensive. I miss Bent and bongs and a fight in the Pretoria or George 🤣🤣

Is Fletchers still open ? 🤣🤣

Atherton is becoming too expensive 🙄