Match thread: Championship Rd 21 Summer Bash. Featherstone Rovers v Leigh. Saturday 30th July 2022.

12 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Going to have to pull you up there as it's not that simple. Leigh, currently have 8 overseas players and are only permitted 6 in SL. Doesn't sound much but I doubt they can replace them with UK players of similar ability. The salary cap in SL is rigidly enforced and will quickly be eaten away, as domestic players demand FT SL money. Beaumonts money will not help him anywhere near as much as it does in now. SL has some seriously rich owners, ones Deggsy cannot compete with.

Finally. Blake Ferguson for example is great in the championship. He'd do OK in SL I'm sure but a star? NO. Even lowly Trinity have two young wingers in Murphy and Kershaw who'd run him ragged. Same applies to all Leighs overseas players. Most could play SL, but they would become ordinary, especially if the domestic recruitment doesn't go well.

On that latter point, if I were a Leigh fan I'd be praying that Trinity got demoted because there are very few pickings to be had from Toulouse in terms of non quota players.

I'm not saying Leigh couldn't get make it this time but they will be starting from scratch. This years recruitment won't cut it. Players like Chris Green are a million miles of SL standard.

I dislike Leigh for many reasons and hope they lose every game next year but I think you are way off with this.  They'd stuff Wakey at the minute thats for sure.  Do you know Chris Green has barely played this year ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RobLambert said:

I dislike Leigh for many reasons and hope they lose every game next year but I think you are way off with this.  They'd stuff Wakey at the minute thats for sure.  Do you know Chris Green has barely played this year ?

Why do you dislike Leigh,they are an ex mining community steeped in Rugby League and have like us often punched above their weight.Best Championship side i have seen was the one coached by Paul Rowley but this seasons is even better.Agree with you about Green he would just scrape into the bracket S.L player,we have at least 8 of his ability.At present Leigh v Wakey would be a good contest and i do think Leigh would beat Toulouse.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, lingaro said:

Plenty of time for Leigh to get their share of injuries. 

Yeah there is and they've been extremely lucky so far. But that's how it goes sometimes.

Edited by Fevrover
  • Like 1

Koppy and Bussey returning would be massive for Rovers, meanwhie their absence will give Eseh and Springer more time to bed themselves in. We have to at least match their pack if we were to stand any chance in a GF, but the ball retention is the biggest drawback and must be addressed. Three good tries in the minute windows of possession in their twenty compares well to their performance during the endless times they were camped on our line. If this was reversed how would they have done, even with their superstars?

Big Mac said we can beat them, and he mentioned an 80% set completion rate. I reckon the only way to do this would be to utilise the fact that those that don't have jobs are coming in for extra training? How much would it cost to get the part-timers in for two months (maximum) of full-time training? Their employers would have to be on side, but Martin is good at that sort of thing. As the season closes the players are generall fit enough so more time could be put into ironing out all the flaws.

Maybe its something the Squad Bulder could help with? I for one would be willing to increase my contributions till the end of the season if many more came on board.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

........Three good tries in the minute windows of possession in their twenty compares well to their performance during the endless times they were camped on our line. If this was reversed how would they have done, even with their superstars?........

But it wasn't reversed because Fev were in reverse for much of the game due to "their superstars", perhaps? Yes, you can point to your errors but, IBHO, few errors in sport are genuinely unforced, even if there is no immediate cause, the underlying one is feeling pressure. Witness Liverpool Football Club committing harikiri in trying to score a dozen goals in the game following Steve Gerrard's infamous slip.

Bongser notes that one of your interests is creative writing. 😉

To others higher in the thread, genuinely pleased if Kopczak is on the cusp of returning. Hoping for long (or short) term injuries to opposition players is not a favourite pastime here.

See you in the MPG perhaps (that was aimed at both our clubs).

On 31/07/2022 at 23:05, sentoffagain2 said:

Why do you dislike Leigh

Not sure where to start with that.....

Probably started with the Rowley era. Didnt like him or some of his players at that time. Going overboard celebrating their opponents mistakes etc. (Seen much of the same under Lam actually)

Beaumont - say no more

Bending the rules as far as possible.  Still cant believe they got away with the 2018 shield debacle.  Apparently having no money to put a team out then miraculously challenging again in 2019.

Being gifted the 2021 SL place. At the time many said that we didnt actually want it.  Poison Chalice and all that.  I don't go along with that.  I think the position they are in now has a lot to do with that decision

The supporters.  We get so much stick about a small minority of our younger supporters but some of the Leigh fans take same beating.  Especially that big fat pudding that brings a mini bus.  What a vile piece of work he is.

Admittedly some envious reasons as well.  I mean we used to win the League for fun until promotion was first mentioned in 2014  then Leigh woke up.  They've been the bane of our lives since then.

Injuries.  As usual we've had our share this year and doesnt it always seem to be key players ?  Seriously Ive watched Fev for 40+ years and I cant even comprehend a season where injuries have not had a significant impact.  Leigh somehow carry on regardless

So overall maybe some reasons are childish but aren't they the same unjustified reasons that want us to see Cas lose every week ? Anyway I reserve my right to throw my teddy out of the cot.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 31/07/2022 at 09:48, The Phantom Horseman said:

I don't agree with much in that, other than the general point that it obviously will be much more difficult for Leigh in SL.

The fact that you have singled out Chris Green as a player who won't cut it in SL says it all, he went off after 10 minutes in their second game of the season against Fev and hasn't played since. He's been irrelevant to their season.

I think it's 7 non-fed not 6 they are allowed in SL isn't it, I agree that will be a problem for them but it's one they already seem to be addressing.

Your points about the salary cap need a hit more explaining. You're saying the salary cap is rigidly enforced but also that Beaumont won't be able to "compete" with other owners. He's probably managed to achieve a £1.5m squad with about £500k central funding (and most of that came from the parachute payment), yet you think he won't be able to afford full cap in SL with all the Sky money he'll get?

I think their situation in terms of overseas players might make it tough for them to be a middle-table team, and it has to be said they have been extraordinarily fortunate in terms of injuries this year, but they look like they should be able to field a team good enough to avoid relegation (if it's still there!) to me. I remember watching their CC game at Hull KR earlier thsi season and it was only their lack of any middles on the bench that cost them.

Think one reason for being fortunate with injuries is that they are bigger, stronger and fitter as FT players than the PT players they are up against and also more time for rehab and rest between games.

• Like 2

Well put and i get your points.But when Leigh play at Fev to be fair to them they always bring good support which helps our finances.Sat in the stand behind the sticks at the Sports Village i did get a pint of lager over me when Brierley celebrated a try.And they probably have twice the player budget that we do.But we have twice the budget of most of the other teams.

9 hours ago, RobLambert said:

Probably started with the Rowley era. Didnt like him or some of his players at that time. Going overboard celebrating their opponents mistakes etc. (Seen much of the same under Lam actually)

Beaumont - say no more

Bending the rules as far as possible.  Still cant believe they got away with the 2018 shield debacle.  Apparently having no money to put a team out then miraculously challenging again in 2019.

Being gifted the 2021 SL place. At the time many said that we didnt actually want it.  Poison Chalice and all that.  I don't go along with that.  I think the position they are in now has a lot to do with that decision

The supporters.  We get so much stick about a small minority of our younger supporters but some of the Leigh fans take same beating.  Especially that big fat pudding that brings a mini bus.  What a vile piece of work he is.

Admittedly some envious reasons as well.  I mean we used to win the League for fun until promotion was first mentioned in 2014  then Leigh woke up.  They've been the bane of our lives since then.

Injuries.  As usual we've had our share this year and doesnt it always seem to be key players ?  Seriously Ive watched Fev for 40+ years and I cant even comprehend a season where injuries have not had a significant impact.  Leigh somehow carry on regardless

So overall maybe some reasons are childish but aren't they the same unjustified reasons that want us to see Cas lose every week ? Anyway I reserve my right to throw my teddy out of the cot.

If you feel like this about Leigh how many other clubs fans must feel same about us ? Although not 'steamroling ' teams like we did they must get sick of it. It is what it is and we have tried to get better players to keep up with Leigh but sadly it hasn't worked out with injuries and them being full time. We do really well when you consider the size of our town and support and we've got two SL teams on our door step.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, RobLambert said:

Beaumont - say no more

I get where you're coming from.

Remember though that they've got an owner that's not afraid to splash the cash, whereas we have an owner that wants us to be self sustaining. I know which option is best for the future of the club.

We're all disappointed this year, we looked odds on in February, but Degsy has bought the success they're now having and fair play to him.

If we get Wakey coming down, next year could be one of the most enjoyable seasons in a while and I don't think they have anywhere near the resources that Leigh enjoy.

Edited by David Shepherd
  • Like 3

How can Degsy walk away voiding contracts pulling his money not paying people then all of a sudden start pumping cash back in to the club surely the players that had to leave should get some compo or he should not have been able to re-invest i remember the final they had to borrow players and we didnt have any through injury.

8 minutes ago, philcow said:

How can Degsy walk away voiding contracts pulling his money not paying people then all of a sudden start pumping cash back in to the club surely the players that had to leave should get some compo or he should not have been able to re-invest i remember the final they had to borrow players and we didnt have any through injury.

Over to you Harry Stottle!

• Like 1

I have a lot of Respect for Featherstone and its always a difficult 80 mins, irrespective of what team plays there. 

I hated playing at PO Road, always tough and you will still have a say on promotion. RL is only 80 mins. Owt can happen and I have seen many Leigh teams bottle it in the past! 

20 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

I have a lot of Respect for Featherstone and its always a difficult 80 mins, irrespective of what team plays there. 

I hated playing at PO Road, always tough and you will still have a say on promotion. RL is only 80 mins. Owt can happen and I have seen many Leigh teams bottle it in the past! 

There's no way Leigh will bottle it this season, far and away the best team as been seen.

• Like 1

Looking at some scores recently in SL it is hard to predict the final result of the season. What might happen is still very open. Lets take it week by week and do our best. Throwing the towel in is not the way forward. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, philcow said:

Voiding contracts is a Super League stipulation, it is not Leigh or Deggsy at fault. Last season was a relegation season and they only managed to secure the services of 5 or 6 players. With a 3 or 4 month window to buy a team, the only option was to buy overseas players. The club has at times run with a small squad and the RFL refused them a Junior/Reserve grade setup. In instance I think you talking about they had to borrow players from Wigan and Saints just to field a team. It is not some elaborate scheme it is just a fact about the game with injuries and suspension. Salford only had 17 available players the other day so it does affect SL and Championship alike.

Edited by Septimius Severus
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Septimius Severus said:

Voiding contracts is a Super League stipulation, it is not Leigh or Deggsy at fault. Last season was a relegation season and they only managed to secure the services of 5 or 6 players. With a 3 or 4 month window to buy a team, the only option was to buy overseas players. The club has at times run with a small squad and the RFL refused them a Junior/Reserve grade setup. In instance I think you talking about they had to borrow players from Wigan and Saints just to field a team. It is not some elaborate scheme it is just a fact about the game with injuries and suspension. Salford only had 17 available players the other day so it does affect SL and Championship alike.

This was in relation to the 2018 season, where both Fev and Leigh missed out on the then middle 8's.

58 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

I don't think Rovers fans should get on their high horse about that season.  Didn't we also have to borrow 4 lads off Leeds to play in the final?

Correct. All the leigh players were offered a redundancy package which most accepted with understanding that they controlled the results. Most of those players understood why they were being paid off and went and got other clubs. 2 players Larroyer and Evans refused the payout which caused an issue but both lost their case at employment tribunal.

If Fev ever get to SL these are the hard decisions your club may need to make Also if you get relegated. It’s not that different to bringing Matthiou halfway round the world and then telling him he’s not wanted and to go find another club.

34 minutes ago, binosh said:

Correct. All the leigh players were offered a redundancy package which most accepted with understanding that they controlled the results. Most of those players understood why they were being paid off and went and got other clubs. 2 players Larroyer and Evans refused the payout which caused an issue but both lost their case at employment tribunal.

If Fev ever get to SL these are the hard decisions your club may need to make Also if you get relegated. It’s not that different to bringing Matthiou halfway round the world and then telling him he’s not wanted and to go find another club.

Obviously we don't have all the facts about Leigh's 2018 situation, but it seems entirely different, they didn't just stop paying him and cancel his contract.