D-Day England release new kit! (Needs it's very own thread)

31 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Non RL fans are going to turn on their TVs to watch England at a home world cup and have to ask which team is England.

Why would this not have been the case had they been wearing red and white? Non RL fans would be none the wiser either way. As has been pointed out, it's very common for England to wear blue in other sports. For me, it's more important that there is a noticeable difference between the England RL and England RU shirts, in order to help non RL fans immediately realise they're watching a different sport. 

4 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Why would this not have been the case had they been wearing red and white? Non RL fans would be none the wiser either way. As has been pointed out, it's very common for England to wear blue in other sports. For me, it's more important that there is a noticeable difference between the England RL and England RU shirts, in order to help non RL fans immediately realise they're watching a different sport. 

Not that I like it but there’s absolutely no mistake which team is playing if they were to wear the previous kit (which was designed for this world cup!) - it is also nothing like the England Union kit

Edited by Chrispmartha

I like it. People have said about identity etc well our identity comes from playing games. The issue isn't the shirt the issue is a lack of games for the national team, they need meaningful games against national teams. That's the bigger problem than what we wear.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DavidM said:

It’s not great but honestly , I just wanna see us win on the field , and if we win the World Cup I don’t care if we’re running round starkers 

Red with a chevron then.

37F6DEAD-E812-4F6E-8421-644B80A88825.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

Not that I like it but there’s absolutely no mistake which team is playing if they were to wear the previous kit (which was designed for this world cup!) - it is also nothing like the England Union kit

Yes I agree. Whilst I personally wasn't a fan of the cross, it was at least noticeably different. The issues I had were when the kit was white with a bit of red trim, like some of the other recent efforts. To the untrained eye. these shirts are virtually indistinguishable from the England RU shirts. I feel it makes RL look like the Rola-Cola poor relation to RU.

shirts.jpg

14 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

If you're wearing a predominantly white shirt and playing on a pitch, 90% of the time that is likely to be England. Because of the nature of RL (and the importance of shoulders to TV viewers), not only are we wearing predominantly blue, but you can't tell its particularly england from the rest of the shirt either.

• Like 1

Just now, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Yes I agree. Whilst I personally wasn't a fan of the cross, it was at least noticeably different. The issues I had were when the kit was white with a bit of red trim, like some of the other recent efforts. To the untrained eye. these shirts are virtually indistinguishable from the England RU shirts. I feel it makes RL look like the Rola-Cola poor relation to RU.

shirts.jpg

I don't have an issue with that. England RU looks like England football because ultimately its England. 

I have seen the kit - Effing, blinding all the swear words under the sun.. That is all..

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

4 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

shirts.jpg

They don’t look like any England RU shirt I’ve seen and I’d certainly take them over the new monstrosity.

22 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

If you're wearing a predominantly white shirt and playing on a pitch, 90% of the time that is likely to be England. Because of the nature of RL (and the importance of shoulders to TV viewers), not only are we wearing predominantly blue, but you can't tell its particularly england from the rest of the shirt either.

The new kit is still predominantly white, to be fair

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I suspect it will be England and France that have change strips, given France have a history of playing with white and blue reversed and England are a relatively wealthy RFL. Samoa away would look like England without the blue shoulders based on previous examples and I honestly do not know what Greece would do.

Obviously England wouldn't have to if we played in Red and White 😉

I suppose away shirts don't have to be reversals, they can be what we want them to be. 

23 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't have an issue with that. England RU looks like England football because ultimately its England. 

And yet they don't look anything like England cricket. 

Where I live, RL is constantly fighting an uphill battle for any sort of recognition. Having a playing shirt that looks almost identical to that of a sport that also looks incredibly similar to the untrained eye is daft IMO. We should be looking for point of difference. Otherwise this is how RL risks being viewed:

cola.jpg

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The England Kit isn't predominantly blue. 

It is predominantly white, as you ask for in your first line. Perfect, job done then. 😉

• Confused 1

So several hours after it’s launch it’s safe to say a huge proportion of the RL loving public hate it,a couple of posters on here thinks it’s ok,one thinks having red trim makes it look too much like an England shirt & Dave T is the one person who really,really loves it.

In RFL terms that makes it a winner then.

Edited by Davo5

30 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I suppose away shirts don't have to be reversals, they can be what we want them to be. 

True, but realistically only France are likely to have a natural colour (red) that isn't going to be a reversal or pointless change from blue (ie black), and even then its a bit of a stretch.

28 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

And yet they don't look anything like England cricket. 

Where I live, RL is constantly fighting an uphill battle for any sort of recognition. Having a playing shirt that looks almost identical to that of a sport that also looks incredibly similar to the untrained eye is daft IMO. We should be looking for point of difference. Otherwise this is how RL risks being viewed:

cola.jpg

Unfortunately, playing with a rugby ball means we will always get that, regardless of the shirt. 

Its an alright rugby league shirt, nothing special but not the worst I've ever seen. Its a pretty naff England home world cup shirt.

29 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The England Kit isn't predominantly blue. 

It is predominantly white, as you ask for in your first line. Perfect, job done then. 😉

I get that, but it feels predominantly blue. Especially from the side on TV angle - a bit like the NQ cowboys away shirts they used to have.

To even the most avid sports fan, it just doesn't look "England" on first viewing. That is a problem for me, especially in what we all hope (a fading hope for many I admit) will be a transformative tournament for RL in England.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Based on 3 teams in the group having all blue shirts, there is a need for alternate shirts for some of these fixtures. Not sure how they go about agreeing that. Tbh, it feels like every nation should have a 2nd shirt. 

I would have thought all teams would have had to submit their jersey choices well in advance to the RLWC organisation. It must happen at SL and NRL level, to avoid kit clash. It would be pretty raw to expect the smaller nations to have to carry the additional cost and wear an alternative kit while England wear this.

• Like 2

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

41 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Really? If it wasn't for the logos, these could be interchangeable IMO

ru shirts.jpg

Yeah, they represent the same country, thats generally how it goes. 

We should have a Red V, maybe. Or Red and White hoops, possibly. But there's nothing wrong with looking like an England team.

3 hours ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

I know it's been mentioned a few times on this forum, but I'd like to see Super League and the RFL get a lock, stock and barrel kit partnership for all of the teams. As it stands, with England playing so few games, we're never going to get a premium kit manufacturer making something that's really nice - we're too small fry. With all 12 SL clubs and the national team, it would surely be a much more attractive proposition for the bigger, more recognisable kit manufacturers. But then I have zero experience of these things.

It could and should happen. But the one thing that will stop it happening is the clubs. Some quite simply wont want to pay anything beyond what they currently pay for a kit, which is the budget level the likes of Oxen currently churn out. 

If theres a will, it's definitely possible. Only brands i can see taking a slight interest would be Castore, Umbro and at a push Puma. Though the latter is likely a long shot.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

shirts.jpg

Bottom left effort was perfect IMO.

That's the sort of thing they should have done with the chevron. Subtle.

I liked the "Wall of White" monicker they used with it too. It was like that actually had someone thinking about a brand...

• Like 2
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 minute ago, EastLondonMike said:

It could and should happen. But the one thing that will stop it happening is the clubs. Some quite simply wont want to pay anything beyond what they currently pay for a kit, which is the budget level the likes of Oxen currently churn out. 

If theres a will, it's definitely possible. Only brands i can see taking a slight interest would be Castore, Umbro and at a push Puma. Though the latter is likely a long shot.

It could happen, but would likely be Oxen...

We were almost there by accident with ISC at one point. I'm still gutted.

Castore and Umbro would definitely be interesting. I would expect the ranges to be quite limited though, I saw Castore's output at Rangers a couple of years ago which paled in comparison to Adidas' range with Celtic that launched the same summer (even my mum agreed).

Hummel and ONeills appear to be the major suppliers of quality in Super League at the moment. Macron have also improved (incidentally since they left LUFC).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

I would have thought all teams would have had to submit their jersey choices well in advance to the RLWC organisation. It must happen at SL and NRL level, to avoid kit clash. It would be pretty raw to expect the smaller nations to have to carry the additional cost and wear an alternative kit while England wear this.

England's isn't the issue. The other 3 have blue kits. They can't play each other with their kits. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 1