Paul Sykes 500th match

Quite unreal in such a tough sport.  Great achievement. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Thought he was a boxer

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

The crazy thing is that he could have played more if he'd been able to break into the team at the Bulls earlier

I remember him playing an odd game (when we were actually a decent team) but for about a season and a half he was very much a sqaud player. He ended up moving to London to get regular playing time.

Just checked on Wikipedia - 9 appearances for the Bulls in three seasons in that first spell.

5 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

The crazy thing is that he could have played more if he'd been able to break into the team at the Bulls earlier

I remember him playing an odd game (when we were actually a decent team) but for about a season and a half he was very much a sqaud player. He ended up moving to London to get regular playing time.

Just checked on Wikipedia - 9 appearances for the Bulls in three seasons in that first spell.

That slow start may have helped him to keep going to 41 though.

• Like 2

Thought he was very good today, ran the show for the Rams. He did get a guard of honour at the start of the game. Total respect, that's got to be tough but he looked as fresh as anyone today.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wilsontown said:

Thought he was very good today, ran the show for the Rams. He did get a guard of honour at the start of the game. Total respect, that's got to be tough but he looked as fresh as anyone today.

Shows he enjoys playing,not doing it for the money at Dewsbury.I fear his body will bear the brunt of those 500 games in the future.But i wish more players would drop down the divisions to give a little back instead of just retiring and not even going to games.

• Like 5

Tremendous achievement.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Saw him playing against widnes a month or so ago

Still runs the show

Amazingly fit and athletic 

Still a decent player even now

• Like 1

So I was talking to the guy who delivered us a new washing machine today. I was wearing a Knights shirt (left over from the weekend, this is why I needed a new washing machine), and he asked if I went to watch them. Turns out he was a former pro, and he knew Paul Sykes. "Oh aye, I used to play with him. He's a good lad".

So there you go.