The Transfer Rumour Mill Thread

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

Just had a quick look through the operational rules and it does state this

"A Super League's club's register and any declared 21 man squad for a match must have a maximum of 7 players who are not either (a) federation trained or (b) academy juniors.

So that reads to me that you cannot register more than 7 non fed trained players.

Loaned out players are still registered to the parent club surely?

I would have thought this would especially be the case for overseas players otherwise the players work visa wouldn’t be valid. It would take a new application process and they don’t always happen quickly. Obviously a British citizen wouldn’t have this problem but it would seriously limit Leighs options on who they could loan out. If, as hinted, there is just one that fits this profile then they may as well just get rid permanently as they’ll never be able to play for them. I think Derek is making stuff up again to try and appease his disciples. 

2 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Surely they should have had to play for a sustained period of time to be classed as federation player?

You need to have played for 3 seasons in a federation before the age of 21. A few games for St Pats doesn’t sound like it covers it. 

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

So is it Degsy just talking nonsense again?

I suppose the have proof Lamb went down there or any club a few times each year for three years it would count. Even if it was a school event or something. 

Don’t juniors register for the clubs so there would be a record?

Correct, all kids have to be registered to play at amateur level so there would be a record to check. Lam has been given exemption so one would assume he was registered for 3 years there.

12 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Correct, all kids have to be registered to play at amateur level so there would be a record to check. Lam has been given exemption so one would assume he was registered for 3 years there.

Has it been officially announced he’s off quota? Does that take Leigh down to 7?

5 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Just had a quick look through the operational rules and it does state this

"A Super League's club's register and any declared 21 man squad for a match must have a maximum of 7 players who are not either (a) federation trained or (b) academy juniors.

So that reads to me that you cannot register more than 7 non fed trained players.

Loaned out players are still registered to the parent club surely?

Isn’t the registration temporarily transferred when a player moves on loan? Otherwise it would just be dual reg?

If the rule states that only 7 can be registered then the point about loans is a valid one. Rule should say contracted instead.

Still think Leigh will be looking to move MacDonald on though. 

3 hours ago, Wakey Til I Die said:

I would have thought this would especially be the case for overseas players otherwise the players work visa wouldn’t be valid. It would take a new application process and they don’t always happen quickly. Obviously a British citizen wouldn’t have this problem but it would seriously limit Leighs options on who they could loan out. If, as hinted, there is just one that fits this profile then they may as well just get rid permanently as they’ll never be able to play for them. I think Derek is making stuff up again to try and appease his disciples. 

And if he is correct just watch other clubs quite rightly jumping on the same roundabout, not least Wakey.

8 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Given Walker was under contract (and on a 6 figure sum AFAIK), I'm almost certain that we'll be subsidising his wages

Not saying you are wrong. But if Young Jack Walker was on a six figure sum then somebody somewhere needs a reeeeeght good shaking. No pace, no link up skills.

Has it been officially announced he’s off quota? Does that take Leigh down to 7?

It has been confirmed by the club RFL have granted quota exemption, but as Harry says we're still at 8 with Nene not going to Leeds as initially expected. The comments from DB in response to the quota issue suggest there may be a reassessment of the operational rules going on at the moment as he hinted at possible changes coming. I don't blame the club for seeing what advantages it can squeeze out of the  current rules. Saints very much opened the door in that regard when it came to the Knowles appeal technicalities.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

It has been confirmed by the club RFL have granted quota exemption, but as Harry says we're still at 8 with Nene not going to Leeds as initially expected. The comments from DB in response to the quota issue suggest there may be a reassessment of the operational rules going on at the moment as he hinted at possible changes coming. I don't blame the club for seeing what advantages it can squeeze out of the  current rules. Saints very much opened the door in that regard when it came to the Knowles appeal technicalities.

I don’t blame the club at all.

Michael Carayannis on yesterday’s Australian Daily Telegraph NRL podcast mentioned (albeit, fleetingly) that Tim Sheens met with John Bateman about a potential move to Wests. 

I think he’s contracted to 2024 but there was talk a couple of months ago of an offer from Wests. 

On 27/10/2022 at 20:32, SUPERSTUD said:

Not saying you are wrong. But if Young Jack Walker was on a six figure sum then somebody somewhere needs a reeeeeght good shaking. No pace, no link up skills.

The six figures will have included his bandages, scans and hospital visits whilst being permanently injured

• Like 1