The Transfer Rumour Mill Thread

3 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Salford sign Sam Stone who was expected to join Melbourne on a 2 yr deal.

I knew about it sometime ago, he said he was never approached by the club to stay, unfortunately they had to 'cherry pick' who was the best options, I think Salford will be very happy with this acquisition going forward.

24 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I knew about it sometime ago, he said he was never approached by the club to stay, unfortunately they had to 'cherry pick' who was the best options, I think Salford will be very happy with this acquisition going forward.

Then it was an odd decision by Leigh. I thought he was just as good / important as Asiata and Ipape, who were nominated for the player of the year. Can only assume that Sidlow's departure meant that there was a greater need to keep hold of anyone that could play down the middle.

27 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Thats good to hear as I had been in despair over the replacements for departing players so far.

7 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Then it was an odd decision by Leigh. I thought he was just as good / important as Asiata and Ipape, who were nominated for the player of the year. Can only assume that Sidlow's departure meant that there was a greater need to keep hold of anyone that could play down the middle.

Asiata and Ipape are irreplaceable at present, Lam has shown real class at times - great stroke to get him off quota, Ferguson is simply outstanding, Leutele has been one of SL's top centres, Amone will have a great year and is young for a prop, O'Donell reminds me so much of a younger Liam Farrell and runs great lines, Big Ben needs a big pre season but has shown in the WC he can be a decent middle and McDonald was in great form when we did his deal but would offload now if we could.

No room for Sam unfortunately especially as he was going to Melbourne

3 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Asiata and Ipape are irreplaceable at present, Lam has shown real class at times - great stroke to get him off quota, Ferguson is simply outstanding, Leutele has been one of SL's top centres, Amone will have a great year and is young for a prop, O'Donell reminds me so much of a younger Liam Farrell and runs great lines, Big Ben needs a big pre season but has shown in the WC he can be a decent middle and McDonald was in great form when we did his deal but would offload now if we could.

No room for Sam unfortunately especially as he was going to Melbourne

The replacements for Sam was known about some while ago, overloading us with British second rows it was obvious then that he would be one of the non feds to go, nothing to do with the MS connection.

I don't nessacarilly agree that "Ferguson is simply outstanding" I am hoping for much better from him after a proper pre season, and he needs to be against SL opposition.

Totally agree with you about Macdonald, did the proposed move to Leeds affect him? something did his performances were simply not what they were early season, and especially after his suspension.

Amone was probably for me the player of the season, lots of the better things we did revolved around his involvement.

12 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

The replacements for Sam was known about some while ago, overloading us with British second rows it was obvious then that he would be one of the non feds to go, nothing to do with the MS connection.

I don't nessacarilly agree that "Ferguson is simply outstanding" I am hoping for much better from him after a proper pre season, and he needs to be against SL opposition.

Totally agree with you about Macdonald, did the proposed move to Leeds affect him? something did his performances were simply not what they were early season, and especially after his suspension.

Amone was probably for me the player of the season, lots of the better things we did revolved around his involvement.

The choice would have been Ben or Sam, and seconds were easier to recruit

4 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Heard a few rumours today that Saints are looking into trying to release Hopoate and have spoken to Denny Solomona about a return to League !!!

I’d agree with getting rid of Hopoate but Denny Solomona? I’d rather offer a contract to Kyle Evans.

Edit: Quick google search states Solomona has turned us down. 😂

Edited by GeordieSaint

6 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Heard a few rumours today that Saints are looking into trying to release Hopoate and have spoken to Denny Solomona about a return to League !!!

That one has been all over the press the last couple of day. Not really a rumour when every man and his dog has seen it

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Harry, As a fellow Leigh fan watching the Kumuls with great interest, I would offload Macdonald. He has been absolutely gash. Really found wanting in defence and been hiding quite a few times. 

Didn't he get dragged off against England ?

I'd offload big Ben too and get one of those wrecking balls from Tonga or Samoa in the Front row and the Burgess brother off contract.

6 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Harry, As a fellow Leigh fan watching the Kumuls with great interest, I would offload Macdonald. He has been absolutely gash. Really found wanting in defence and been hiding quite a few times. 

I'd offload big Ben too and get one of those wrecking balls from Tonga or Samoa in the Front row and the Burgess brother off contract.

Can't disagree re Macdonald, being on contract we could have got a transfer fee for him, seems the Leeds interest has all but vanished, now if he is staying it is up to Mr Lam, Macdonald was more of a winger than a centre in Aus I would try him out there, we have Hardacre, Brand, Chamberlain and even Briscoe who played quite well there for Leeds at the end if last season, obviously Leutele is nailed on for the other centre.

Big Ben is OK we still need that power up front albeit of the two I would have kept Mark Ioane, what has George Burgess done since his absolutely shocking stint at Wigan, didn't he have extensive hip surgery in '21 then signed for the Dragons played only 4 games in '22 then they got shut, I would steer well clear.

Break the bank and fetch Chris Hill back home.

7 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Not a cat in hells chance of Leigh getting any of those Samoan or Tongan front rowers. The only one who was OOC was Taukeiaho and he's already signed for Catalans.

BMM might come back to the UK as he's been pretty poor since returning to the NRL

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

8 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

They won't be offloading Ben, he's just signed an extension for this season.

Can see MacDonald being paid off, have we even been able to register Leutele yet? Guessing probably not until somebody of taken off the registered squad one way or another. The Leeds interest seems to have cooled, and his performances for PNG aren't exactly going to ignite any fresh interest unless he becomes a free agent

14 hours ago, The storm said:

Id have kyle evans at widnes

This lad is really suited to our game and its a shame he did not switch codes earlier in his career

Yup, just to old. What it does show is that there is some talent still lurking in RU, especially Welsh RU. He's been available for years and could have been spotted earlier. Note, less so with forwards, but that's always been the case.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Option to purchase at the end. Most seem to think it’s a stop gap to Lewis Murphy or Tom Davies in 2024. 

I’ve been told that Sts are prepared to pay a fee for Murphy but Trinity won’t sell, they’re confident that they can use the next 12 months to persuade him to stay. They’re willing to risk him walking away for free in 12 months

Edited by OMEGA

12 minutes ago, Bring back GB said:

How on earth can you describe  player of Tee's class as a stop gap? 

Unbelievable 

Yes, he is a very good player. In a team as good as Saints he could be amazing. 

I can feel a bet on him to score the winning try in the WCC...