Get them in Super League

9 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Fine if the RFL grants it, otherwise we will be waiting for a very very long time for London and Newcastle to become Gf'ists.

London and Newcastle sadly don't have the talent for an academy and the reduction in kids playing where few play anyway makes it a waste of time and money and it's probably no fun for the kids and parents.

People should actually look at the academy league and see where London and Newcastle are.........

Massively adrift...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

That doesn't include Leigh who don't have a top tier academy because they failed the criteria.

They only failed the criteria because of their location, tell me honestly Ginger why would a cash strapped sport like RL refuse any team an academy that had put an infrastructure with academy manager, coaching staff and welfare officers along with £400K earmarked to run it be refused entry to the system, I would wager that they were prepared to invest a lot more than than the incumbents who were granted licences already do.

Awaiting your knowledgeable explanation.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Great post!

But what are you actually saying, you start with the recent history of promoted teams, then onto to many fixtures, finishing with player reg, transfers and loans, please give us your solutions to these problems you see.

I don’t think because we have dominant sides at Championship level that means we should expand Super League to 14 teams. 

I think the fixture scheduling has been questionable and a contributing factor in the increase of injuries suffered by clubs and that we should look as a game at ways to reduce teams being down to the bare bones (17 in York’s case, Hull KR’s 21 man squad having numbers adding up to nearly 500 etc) whether that’s through looking at fixture scheduling, player registrations, the transfer market or a combination of some/all of those things. 

19 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

They only failed the criteria because of their location,

Odd then that, as part of exactly the same process, Hull KR, who initially didn't meet the criteria but who then went and worked on them, were then awarded a licence.

Hull FC and Hull KR are closer than Wigan and Leigh.

Perhaps, for all the money and staff, there were legitimate concerns about exactly how good Leigh would be at bringing players through.

It's all guesswork though. It is annoying that the RFL seem to have stopped publishing their ongoing assessments about academies and club set ups. They used to and it would stop a lot of sniping and social media posturing if they did so again.

With Leigh though, maybe a first team squad stuffed full of imports suggests that the RFL were right to be concerned.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

With Leigh though, maybe a first team squad stuffed full of imports suggests that the RFL were right to be concerned.

Doesn't that make it a self fulfilling prophecy though?

Can't have an academy because you're not bringing players through and can't bring players through because you're not allowed an academy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I couldn't give two hoots what people think about the Leigh club's  size, or if it doesn't add to the footprint, I'm not in the least bothered if it puts off the armchair supporters or any broadcasters. I don't care who gets relegated, they have only their own management and coaching to blame, and if it is a club who people believe should be cosseted and protected well tough they are all playing for the same points finish bottom and your gone.

I and a few other folk from the small ex mining and cotton town, with no rail transport will relish being in Super League (if we get there) and to anyone who wants to object, stamp their feet and throw their toys out of the pram will gladly get the two fingered salute, and we shall do our utmost to maintain our membership at the top level just to prolong the aggravation we cause.

Please don't finger anyone against their will Harry, they won't appreciate it. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Doesn't that make it a self fulfilling prophecy though?

Can't have an academy because you're not bringing players through and can't bring players through because you're not allowed an academy

It does, to an extent (and I am somewhat more sympathetic to them than I come across when replying on here). Leigh does also have excellent amateur/community clubs in the area, presumably with youth and academy sections too.

Leigh were only blocked from having an elite academy though (from memory). There are other kinds. They may even be running one. (My googling is somewhat hampered by my location which seems to believe that because I'm in Hastings I want to know about the selection policies for a school in Kent called Leigh Academy who may play rugby).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It does, to an extent (and I am somewhat more sympathetic to them than I come across when replying on here). Leigh does also have excellent amateur/community clubs in the area, presumably with youth and academy sections too.

Leigh were only blocked from having an elite academy though (from memory). There are other kinds. They may even be running one. (My googling is somewhat hampered by my location which seems to believe that because I'm in Hastings I want to know about the selection policies for a school in Kent called Leigh Academy who may play rugby).

Yeah, that's the one, our academy just happens to be in Kent...

Seriously, I think we have something in place, with Leigh college, but it's obviously limited given we can't field a team in the u16s/19s league.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Yeah, that's the one, our academy just happens to be in Kent...

You fiends. I look forward to the launch of Leigh Invicta RLFC soon then.

As I say, one of my issues on this is that the RFL could (and should) make it a lot clearer as to what they've assessed and then what is being done in terms of ongoing assessment. It's into that space that you get claims that it was all about geography being made (and circulated by clickbait sites) but that's not backed up by what has been said nor matched by actions elsewhere. But because they aren't clear, it festers.

To link it back to this thread ... just because Leigh scored 100 points in the Championship or Newcastle have gone backwards, shouldn't really have any bearing on whether they would be an asset to Super League because both would be completely transformed by any promotion. In its most basic version: Leigh's squad wouldn't be allowed, and Newcastle would have about a million more quid to play with.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jughead said:

but surely as a sport we must look at games played but also player registration, transfer and loan rules moving forward? 

Needs to be some serious discussion on this ,seeing teams down to the bare bones at the seasons end due to injury and struggling to get a full squad out ,as is happening at seems at all levels of the Pro Game and unable to recruit to fill those gaps because of unworkable registration is just plain daft 

Teams going massivley understrength into games (as in a couple of cases today without the bare 17), should surely be a case of concern for player welfare, putting  further at risk of injury those playing  ?

I'm not 100% au fait with all the registration  regs but surely if a club can prove by way of medical evidence that they have players out injured there should be some flexibility within those rules to allow them to bring in short term replacements ( whether it is from other clubs or from players that have left the pro game ). 

The argument seems to be that it is just assumed that clubs will abuse the system ,that's as maybe, but being a sport that doesn't protect the players that it already has is just as bad .

Edited by Rach
  • Like 2

It's always the way with RL fans. The RFL cop a lot of flak but if they listened to the opinions of commentators on social media then the game would be a bigger mess than it is now! 

I remember when NARL was going to be bigger than Super League. I also remember how Euro XIII was going to transform RL across Europe. Certain sections of RL fans are always looking for something to save the game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Odd then that, as part of exactly the same process, Hull KR, who initially didn't meet the criteria but who then went and worked on them, were then awarded a licence.

Hull FC and Hull KR are closer than Wigan and Leigh.

Perhaps, for all the money and staff, there were legitimate concerns about exactly how good Leigh would be at bringing players through.

It's all guesswork though. It is annoying that the RFL seem to have stopped publishing their ongoing assessments about academies and club set ups. They used to and it would stop a lot of sniping and social media posturing if they did so again.

Wasn't KR granted an interim licence (or by some other name) though that no one else on the periphery got.

Total conjecture. Looks like you were groping for an answer there.

You mean just like you have?

Now that is your most stupid answer,  but I will make allowances because you have previously stated you have a somewhat questionable memory, The initial Academy licences were awarded on the 21st May 2021, Leigh's programme for their 2022 squad did not start till 8 months after that date and it was a method within the laws to win promotion, if they do so they will have no more mports that any other SL, nothing whatsoever to do with an academy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

I remember when NARL was going to be bigger than Super League. I also remember how Euro XIII was going to transform RL across Europe.

Some blokes did go on Chasing Roos and sell some shirts though.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Wasn't KR granted an interim licence (or by some other name) though that no one else on the periphery got.

Bradford and Castleford got the same.

Salford and Leigh were grouped together as needing to do more work to convert their existing academies into elite level academies.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Leigh will be a fantastic addition to SL.

A well run, if small, club. 

They'll add to SL's footprint across the UK.

Excellent Academy system.

Strengthen the attraction of SL to national broadcasters and sponsors.

What's not to love.

Plus look at all the leigh born players in their team 

At widnes we love leigh visiting so we can sing "you*re just a post code in wigan" 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Bradford and Castleford got the same.

Salford and Leigh were grouped together as needing to do more work to convert their existing academies into elite level academies.

There was a massive backlash to taking the licences away from the 3 you mention, the RFL and this illustrious commitee who had worked so tirelessly to come up with the 10 licences they awarded then tried to substansiate in a lengthy press release why they had done so, receiving the criticism they immediately said OK we were wrong, they didn't stand their ground and argue their case

The rationale for this was as follows:

1.           To ensure that Academies are operated sensitively and proportionately to the continuing good health of the Community Game;

2.           That the number of players selected for Academies is proportionate to the number of players within the Community Game at the relevant age and that the players selected have a genuine opportunity of progressing into the Super League and National teams;

It's no wonder as you say "It's all guesswork though. It is annoying that the RFL seem to have stopped publishing their ongoing assessments about academies and club set ups" they have shown their backsides when they were taken to task on their original ruling.

2 minutes ago, The storm said:

Plus look at all the leigh born players in their team 

At widnes we love leigh visiting so we can sing "you*re just a post code in wigan" 

'Kin ell, I can stomach criticism from well run clubs but ............... no on reflection I will not say anything else, have a look inwards Stormy.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

'Kin ell, I can stomach criticism from well run clubs but ............... no on reflection I will not say anything else, have a look inwards Stormy.

Im the biggest critic of my club

But i was still there yesterday with my dad,cousin and 2 nieces

And widnes born players in our squad are pretty evident to see

• Like 1