Championship Final

Serious question, as there is no train station, how can i get there without a car?

I'll be travelling down from the West of Scotland so likely through Manchester on the train.

Also, is there an indication of kick off time. Given it's a Sunday, i might be screwed...

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

12 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Serious question, as there is no train station, how can i get there without a car?

I'll be travelling down from the West of Scotland so likely through Manchester on the train.

Also, is there an indication of kick off time. Given it's a Sunday, i might be screwed...

The LSV has a decent website and there's a page about how to get there: https://www.leighsportsvillage.co.uk/plan-your-visit/

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

51 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

hi matt get the train from scotland to manchester victoria then to atherton then catch the bus to leigh outside the station.10 minute ride to leigh town centre.last train is about 11.30 pm back to manchester.kick off is at 2pm so you will have loads of time.thats if leigh get there

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, binosh said:

There is also a bus direct from Manchester Piccadilly/Victoria every 15 minutes direct to Leigh called the V1.

This ⬆️. The V1 service is excellent and a god-send to get you to backwaters that don't have train stations!😉

Probably quicker than ar$ing around with trains to Atherton and then getting an Uber. 

EDIT: Having said that, if you're coming from West of Scotland I'd assume you'll be connecting at Glasgow? If that's the case then I'm pretty sure all/most of those Glasgow-Manchester trains stop at Wigan. If it does then get off at Wigan and get one of a number of buses that run from Wigan to Leigh. The 30-40 minutes you save on the train journey into Manchester will pretty much cover your bus journey to Leigh.

Edited by SalfordSlim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Leigh might not make the final, but if as seems likely they do can you get a taxi / Uber from the nearest station? Atherton station is apparently only 4.2 miles away and Newton Le Willows 5.3. 

Dent station on the Settle to Carlisle line is 5 miles away from Dent itself.

Atherton station is only 4.2 miles away, so Leigh (without a railway station) is actually closer to a railway station than some places that actually do have a railway station.

Maybe they should rename the station to Leigh Atherton?

• Like 1

Train to Manchester piccadilly from Scotland then the V1 bus..

The V1 stops at the bus station in Leigh toen centre.

Loads of pubs within yards..

Ground a short walk over Leigh Bridge. 

I was born in Atherton 

A copper in Leigh.(for my eternal sins)

8 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Cheers lads and lasses.

If the 2pm kick off is correct, i might have to travel down Saturday. 

Missus will like that

If its the final you are talking about, I'm almost certain the the KO is at 6.30 on the 2nd October.

• Like 2

Here we go again .....

2 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Don't worry, it'll be at Fev. 2 minute walk from the station.

Said no one, ever

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dave W said:

Dent station on the Settle to Carlisle line is 5 miles away from Dent itself.

Atherton station is only 4.2 miles away, so Leigh (without a railway station) is actually closer to a railway station than some places that actually do have a railway station.

Maybe they should rename the station to Leigh Atherton?

Not just Atherton ⬆️

• Haha 1

8 stations in Warrington if you include Glazebury and Glazebrook

And Living in Warrington, my nearest is 4 miles away !

Leigh don’t need a Station. They did have at Least 3, but they are ugly and smell of P*ss ! 😅

Edited by Snowys Backside

4 hours ago, MattSantos said:

6.30pm kick off. There’s currently a Glasgow train scheduled from Wigan at 21:27 (arrives at Glasgow Central at 00:05) but given the game will be finishing at 8.30pm at best without golden point, you’d be better pre booking a taxi (approx £15-£20) and JRs/Z Carz/Call the Car will advise the best place to pick up to avoid traffic - most likely on St Helens Road just on the back of the stadium.

Pre-match, there are regular buses from Wigan and now cost £2 for a single journey (thank you, Mr Burnham!). The number 10 leaves directly outside Wigan North Western station and runs virtually past the LSV but goes all round the houses so you’d be better walking 5 minutes round the corner to the bus station and catching the number 8 or number 9 to Leigh bus station so you can have a pint and leisurely walk to the ground

I regularly do the journey in reverse watching Hibs home and away so well versed to say the least! When buying your ticket, try one of the train split websites and there’s often a significant differences between Glasgow-Preston and Glasgow-Wigan tickets

*All subject to Leigh reaching the final, of course!!

22 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

6.30pm kick off. There’s currently a Glasgow train scheduled from Wigan at 21:27 (arrives at Glasgow Central at 00:05) but given the game will be finishing at 8.30pm at best without golden point, you’d be better pre booking a taxi (approx £15-£20) and JRs/Z Carz/Call the Car will advise the best place to pick up to avoid traffic - most likely on St Helens Road just on the back of the stadium.

Pre-match, there are regular buses from Wigan and now cost £2 for a single journey (thank you, Mr Burnham!). The number 10 leaves directly outside Wigan North Western station and runs virtually past the LSV but goes all round the houses so you’d be better walking 5 minutes round the corner to the bus station and catching the number 8 or number 9 to Leigh bus station so you can have a pint and leisurely walk to the ground

I regularly do the journey in reverse watching Hibs home and away so well versed to say the least! When buying your ticket, try one of the train split websites and there’s often a significant differences between Glasgow-Preston and Glasgow-Wigan tickets

*All subject to Leigh reaching the final, of course!!

Cheers. I might look at staying overnight in Manchester. Im at Centerparks on Monday, hence the no car situ.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas