World cup - the bookies odds thread

Just now, Dunbar said:

I'm not really thinking about past experience. I am thinking about the preparation of these two teams for Saturday's games.

But that's my point, whenever we've played the Aussies when they've arrived late etc we've been able to catch them cold rather than doing better later in the game.

Samoa might not be Aus but if they're -4 after never playing together, away from home and in an unfamiliar climate then they can't be far off.

1 minute ago, Maximus Decimus said:

But that's my point, whenever we've played the Aussies when they've arrived late etc we've been able to catch them cold rather than doing better later in the game.

Samoa might not be Aus but if they're -4 after never playing together, away from home and in an unfamiliar climate then they can't be far off.

OK, you think we will start more quickly than them as they are under prepared.

I will think we will outlast them as they have player's who haven't had a lot of game time recently. 

Should be a big win for us then.

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 13/10/2022 at 20:21, Dunbar said:

OK, you think we will start more quickly than them as they are under prepared.

I will think we will outlast them as they have player's who haven't had a lot of game time recently. 

Should be a big win for us then.

Turns out we were both right!

• Thanks 1

Not sure what the odds are now but England must have been slashed. In my book I'd have the Aussies about 1/2, England and NZ both around the 2/1 mark, and Tonga about 7/1. The rest, realistically, are playing for the minor positions.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MZH said:

Not sure what the odds are now but England must have been slashed. In my book I'd have the Aussies about 1/2, England and NZ both around the 2/1 mark, and Tonga about 7/1. The rest, realistically, are playing for the minor positions.

England now 9/1 from 16/1 pre match with William Hill. I'd have thought they'd be lower.

Edited by Damien

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

England now 9/1 from 16/1 pre match with William Hill. I'd have thought they'd be lower.

Now that we have beaten Samoa we are unlikely to face another big challenge until the semis. 9/1 for us to essentially win 2 games is a silly price.

On 05/10/2022 at 23:04, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Agreed however....

Does the amount of money bet affect it? 

I.e. if enough punters put massive amounts of Samoa does that shorten them up ( I have no idea myself)

They wouldn’t be long in the bookie business if they didn’t.

Mathematicians first, sports fans second.

Edited by Sports Prophet

On 12/10/2022 at 17:56, The Partisan said:

After being 8 to 1 mid year England has floated out to 15 - 1 on Australia's TAB betting site. 

Now back to 7 - 1.

Glad I got on the 15's.  Will be a considerable contribution to my RLWC 2025 Savings Fund if England can hoist the trophy Nov 19. 

• Like 1

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

17 minutes ago, JimBronco said:

France on the handicap -24 to win vs Greece EVENS. Worth a £20 bet?

I would probably take France anything under 40. So would probably go France less say 36 and you could probably get 3/1 or 4/1 on that.

I think France are three tries better than Greece per half quite comfortably.

1 hour ago, Leonard said:

I would probably take France anything under 40. So would probably go France less say 36 and you could probably get 3/1 or 4/1 on that.

I think France are three tries better than Greece per half quite comfortably.

Better by three tries each half would mean the -24 points bet could be worth it. I'm going to lump some money on it. 

15 hours ago, Leonard said:

Had Italy at 10/1 to win by more than 10 points.

Easy money.

They massively overpriced Scotland yesterday.

Any thoughts on Tonga v PNG? 

Handicaps are difficult as some winning sides ease off. Also as we have seen, some losing sides cave in which distorts the score greatly. 

11 minutes ago, Niels said:

Any thoughts on Tonga v PNG? 

Handicaps are difficult as some winning sides ease off. Also as we have seen, some losing sides cave in which distorts the score greatly. 

I’ve got PNG +28.5 which I feel is pretty good value as they are gonna be right up for it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AB90 said:

I’ve got PNG +28.5 which I feel is pretty good value as they are gonna be right up for it.

Thanks.

Do you think Ireland at evens -2 v Lebanon is a good bet?

Lebanon had a bruising game against NZ and their Stand off may be suspended. 

Whereas Ireland had an easy win and their NRL players looked very good.

Just now, Niels said:

Thanks.

Do you think Ireland at evens -2 v Lebanon is a good bet?

Lebanon had a bruising game against NZ and their Stand off may be suspended. 

Whereas Ireland had an easy win and their NRL players looked very good.

Yes especially without Douhi who is their second best player.

But if he plays, it’s a coin flip for me (however lean towards Ireland).

• Thanks 1